Sep 17 2011
By: SlashZaku Shinra Executive 42172 posts

Sony Demos Vita Remote Play and AR Features at TGS [Update: AR Video Added]

7 replies 96 views Edited Sep 17, 2011

During a Tokyo Game Show keynote address today, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studio President Shuhei Yoshida revealed some of the system's latest built in features.

Two PS3 to PS Vita connectivity features in particular stood out. Vita will be able act as a Remote Play device for PS3.  You'll be able to play full PS3 games through your Vita.

Yoshida showed a demonstration video of Killzone 3 being played remotely.  Visit 4Gamer for a video clip.  4Gamer notes that the button count discrepancy between the PS3 and Vita is dealt with through the system's rear touch panel.

Sony also showed how the Vita can be used as a controller for the PS3.  The reason you might want to do this is because your PS3 games would have access to the Vita's touch panels.  The 4Gamer story also has a video of this.

Yoshida also discussed the system's Augmented Reality functionality, detailing two technologies: Wide Area AR and Markerless AR.  Wide Area AR takes care of the issue with current AR games where your characters suddenly disappear when the AR marker card goes off the screen, and also allows for multiple AR cards to be activated simultaneously on the same screen.  Markerless AR lets you make characters appear even without an AR card.  You simply touch the screen in the location you'd like the character to appear.

Andriasang

I dropped in on the Kotaku Liveblog when it was going on and apparently they're working on the tools still to get out to other developers.  So it seems Sony is going to try and make the feature easier for developers to implement (compared to PSP Remote Play).

UPDATE 9/17: Video of the AR features from their presentation:

Message 3 of 8 (96 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

Re: Sony Demos Vita Remote Play and AR Features at TGS

Sep 15, 2011

Wow both sounds pretty cool. Can't wait to try them out myself.

Proud Sony fan and owner of PSP 1000, PS2, PS3, and soon PS Vita.
Message 1 of 8 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
682 posts

Sep 15, 2011

It will also support remote use of the PlayTV functionality that Japan and Europe have but the US as of yet does not:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/15/playstation-vitas-torne-app-pulls-in-live-tv-streams-served-up/

Message 2 of 8 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42172 posts

Sep 17, 2011

Video added to OP.  This looks pretty awesome after seeing it and hope developers make use of it.  The alien autopsy was pretty damn neat.

Message 4 of 8 (96 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1357 posts

Sep 19, 2011

SlashZaku wrote:

Video added to OP.  This looks pretty awesome after seeing it and hope developers make use of it.  The alien autopsy was pretty **** neat.

That was creepy. lol

Message 5 of 8 (96 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Sep 25, 2011

Sony recently filed a patent on different type of AR stuff. Normally, these patents are about devices or hardware elated things but, this a rather recent patent and the hardware and methods used are all along the lnes of what the PS Vita is alread capable (in terms of hardware and software).

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2011/0216002.html

I will continue reading through it but, up to where I have read (figure 9) all the things described are well within the PS Vita's capabilities. The patent seems to be outlne very elemntary things in the realm of augmented reality (i.e. using accelerators, gyroscopes, camers, etc to create a virtual reality/augmented reality). I guess Sony just want to patnet the specific things outline.  I guess that's reasonable.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Vita_Duel.png

Message 6 of 8 (96 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Sony Demos Vita Remote Play and AR Features at TGS [Update: AR Video Added]

Sep 25, 2011

Well it certainly seems that the Vita is the perfect complement to the PS3 that the PSP couldn't live up to...

Message 7 of 8 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
456 posts

Re: Sony Demos Vita Remote Play and AR Features at TGS [Update: AR Video Added]

Sep 25, 2011

I like the WAAR, because, well you can use it in a wide area, as shown with the race track. you could turn a whole room into a war zone with WAAR, now that is a game that I would buy.

Message 8 of 8 (96 Views)
0 Likes