Reply
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14647 posts
 

Re: Sony Cannot Afford to Pull another "PS3" or "Vita"

Feb 23, 2013

I think advertising it now is best. Get the hype up and carry it slowly to launch. I am only talking about internet ads, though. TV ads should only be, at most, a month ahead of release.


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 11 of 41 (162 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 10/18/2009
Offline
50 posts
 

Re: Sony Cannot Afford to Pull another "PS3" or "Vita"

Feb 23, 2013

In fairness who is more likely to purchase at launch, the hardcore gamer or the average consumer? And were PS3 launch sales that catastrophic if it progressively outsold its closest rival worldwide independent of the negative media at the time? I accept the vita appears to be vulnerable, but the PS3's success at all stages has been largely misrepresented. Fair enough, Microsoft enhanced their market share considerably although no more than android did with apple - competition happens. Should the PS1 or PS2 really be the benchmark by which future console success is measured in a different climate? Generally intended as food for thought and not a systems war invitation, and if sony could offer two SKUs for the hardcore/mainstream alike I think we'd all be happier - ps how much is your smartphone brand new ......? Smiley Tongue

Message 12 of 41 (158 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 10/21/2011
Offline
573 posts
 

Re: Sony Cannot Afford to Pull another "PS3" or "Vita"

Feb 23, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

 

"even in the middle of the night during commercials of informercials there was at least a 3 or 4 PS1 commercials within a 1hour slot."

i friggin knew it.... Smiley Very Happy LOL LOL!!!!


 

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
the absolute pinnacle of console video gaming!
Message 13 of 41 (149 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/17/2011
Offline
85 posts
 

Re: Sony Cannot Afford to Pull another "PS3" or "Vita"

Feb 23, 2013

deepershades wrote:

In fairness who is more likely to purchase at launch, the hardcore gamer or the average consumer? And were PS3 launch sales that catastrophic if it progressively outsold its closest rival worldwide independent of the negative media at the time? I accept the vita appears to be vulnerable, but the PS3's success at all stages has been largely misrepresented. Fair enough, Microsoft enhanced their market share considerably although no more than android did with apple - competition happens. Should the PS1 or PS2 really be the benchmark by which future console success is measured in a different climate? Generally intended as food for thought and not a systems war invitation, and if sony could offer two SKUs for the hardcore/mainstream alike I think we'd all be happier - ps how much is your smartphone brand new ......? Smiley Tongue


Thats the problem a console cannot be judged based off of Launch sale numbers but off of what the sales looked like 6,7, even 8 months after launch. This is the time where the hardcore has mostly gotten thier consoles and is when the average consumer comes in and bears the brunt of console sales. There is no denying the PS3 launch was mishandled quite basically it was catastrophic for sony as evident by sony themsleves there is no getting around that point. I think the OP did miss a point for why the 360 took off so quickly and that was because of games. Gears of War was the first real next gen game at that time and it was a 360 exclusive. Combine this with the fact that the Price Tag was way lower than what the PS3 was selling without much games and it is easy to see why the PS3 arrived virtually stillborn. I remember when my college ( Norfolk State University)  roomate bought his 360 and gears of war we had half of our dorm room floor coming by the room wanting to see the game. Suffice to say that the xbox 360 was the most used and played console in our dorm that year with almost a 100% share.

 

I do trust that sony learned from its mistakes however, and will price within reason.

Message 14 of 41 (145 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 01/25/2009
Offline
231 posts
 

Re: Sony Cannot Afford to Pull another "PS3" or "Vita"

Feb 23, 2013
Agree to this post 100%. I use to work in a store and customers came in and did a product comparison and then the price. If something was basically the same thing and there was a price different they'd buy the less expensive thing or you better justify the price difference lol. But after all the B.S price is all that matters to the consumer period.
Message 15 of 41 (137 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Offline
29418 posts
 

Re: Sony Cannot Afford to Pull another "PS3" or "Vita"

Feb 23, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

the_ed_85 wrote:
EDIT 1: Sony should start advertising immediately and show off the graphics possibilities, networking capabilities and social networking capabilities of the ps4. Hit them hard and hit it fast. Get the hype up as much as possible about this system and Sony will once again be on top of the gaming world.


This is exactly what Sony needs to do.

 

The PS1's "U R Not E" marketing campaign was awesome and I saw that EVERYWHERE.... even in the middle of the night during commercials of informercials there was at least a 3 or 4 PS1 commercials within a 1hour slot.

The PS2's marketing was also quite good with the PS9 thing...

The PS3 comparably had limited marketing, but still quite good, though not all that great.

The campaign with Kevin Butler was excellent tho and quite funny. 

"Michael" wasn't all that great for me TBH. Felt way too familiar seeing as ANYONE who can draw or photoshop can make a picture with all of Sony's big characters...


I don't think it had "limited marketing". It's that the current crop of "gamers" don't seem to fall into the traditional 18-39 year old sports watching, beer drinking male demographics they were targeting. If you advertise on things like Tosh.0 and the NFL, they're going to reach that audience, however "gamers" who rarely watch television and don't particularly like sports aren't going to see it.

 

Head on over to YouTube, and this is what you'll find;

 

 

But I'm pretty sure we're going to keep hearing "Sony doesn't advertise".

Message 16 of 41 (127 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 10/11/2010
Offline
226 posts
 

Re: Sony Cannot Afford to Pull another "PS3" or "Vita"

Feb 24, 2013

I don't think the launch price of a games console is the key factor that determins how well it ultimately does and in the case of the PS3, far more significant was when it launched, a full year after the Xbox 360 (November 2007 and November 2006, respectively). Also, when you bought the required add-ons for the 360, such as Wi-Fi and HD-DVD and compared it to the PS3, which had everything already present (esp. upgradable Blu-ray drive), I don't believe the price difference was that significant (Microsoft also sold 360 at a loss for several years).

 

That does not mean the price of ownership is not a factor and I wouldn't be suprised if Sony made a big mistake with the Vita's proprietary and very expensive memory cards - Sony Corporation just couldn't help themselves... Memory cards asside, the Vita is a superb piece of kit and the only reason it might not do great is because of a lack of top-notch games that show off the premier handheld's capabilities. It's squarely aimed at hardcore gamers (for which you will always pay a premium, over casual fare) and there's no comparison (to iPhone or 3DS) playing the likes of Uncharted with that gorgeous OLED screen and dual analog sticks.

 

So, what about the PS4? For this generation of console it looks like Sony will get some sort of head start, but as Microsoft's answer is likely to follow soon after and will have a similar specification, price could be more of a factor as a good deal of the games will be available on both platforms. If any price difference is in the $50 range, it may just come down to personal preference.

Message 17 of 41 (118 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/15/2008
Offline
7356 posts
 

Re: Sony Cannot Afford to Pull another "PS3" or "Vita"

Feb 24, 2013

Tribble6 wrote:

I don't think the launch price of a games console is the key factor that determins how well it ultimately does and in the case of the PS3, far more significant was when it launched, a full year after the Xbox 360 (November 2007 and November 2006, respectively). Also, when you bought the required add-ons for the 360, such as Wi-Fi and HD-DVD and compared it to the PS3, which had everything already present (esp. upgradable Blu-ray drive), I don't believe the price difference was that significant (Microsoft also sold 360 at a loss for several years).

 

That does not mean the price of ownership is not a factor and I wouldn't be suprised if Sony made a big mistake with the Vita's proprietary and very expensive memory cards - Sony Corporation just couldn't help themselves... Memory cards asside, the Vita is a superb piece of kit and the only reason it might not do great is because of a lack of top-notch games that show off the premier handheld's capabilities. It's squarely aimed at hardcore gamers (for which you will always pay a premium, over casual fare) and there's no comparison (to iPhone or 3DS) playing the likes of Uncharted with that gorgeous OLED screen and dual analog sticks.

 

So, what about the PS4? For this generation of console it looks like Sony will get some sort of head start, but as Microsoft's answer is likely to follow soon after and will have a similar specification, price could be more of a factor as a good deal of the games will be available on both platforms. If any price difference is in the $50 range, it may just come down to personal preference.


The hardcore gamer is a minority compared to the casual gamer. To put this into perspective, most of the Wii's user base is casual gamer, and the console has sold almost 100,000,000 units. Looking at this, we can all agree that the Wii is filled with mostly crap games, so this kind of iterates the fact that the general consumer does not care about games - this benefit seems to be attributed to hardcore gamers. Additionally, most people did not know that they would be spending as much as the PlayStation 3 cost if these customers purchased an Xbox 360, plus Wi-Fi and other accessories.

 

Vita is lacking in games, but I think Sony's major flaw is with the price. Think of this situation: a casual gamer enters Wal-Mart, Target, Game Stop, Best Buy, etc., looking for a portable gaming device, and they see a 3DS and a PS Vita. What do you think will primarily run through that person's mind - which system has better games, or which system is cheaper? Smiley Wink


I do not see Sony or Microsoft having a head start this generation. If the next Xbox and PlayStation 4 are at the same price, most consumers will purchase what is popular or what their friends and family have. Why? Because word of mouth is the most powerful advertising tool there is.

PlayStation MVP Program 2001 to 2016
Message 18 of 41 (112 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 10/11/2010
Offline
226 posts
 

Re: Sony Cannot Afford to Pull another "PS3" or "Vita"

Feb 24, 2013

I'm sure Sony will price the PS4 competitively, with Microsoft breathing down their neck, but at the of the day they have chosen to target the hardcore gamer market and it's all the more exciting for it. Sure, they will sell less games (it's clearly a smaller market), but they still have the potential to make a healthy profit doing so. 

 

To give you an analogy, some lucky people aren't the slightest bit interested in a Toyota Prius and only desire (and can afford) a Tesla Roadster.

Message 19 of 41 (108 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Offline
29418 posts
 

Re: Sony Cannot Afford to Pull another "PS3" or "Vita"

Feb 24, 2013

Tribble6 wrote:

I'm sure Sony will price the PS4 competitively, with Microsoft breathing down their neck, but at the of the day they have chosen to target the hardcore gamer market and it's all the more exciting for it. Sure, they will sell less games (it's clearly a smaller market), but they still have the potential to make a healthy profit doing so. 

 

To give you an analogy, some lucky people aren't the slightest bit interested in a Toyota Prius and only desire (and can afford) a Tesla Roadster.


You do realize that Prince Charles owns a Prius?

Message 20 of 41 (106 Views)
Reply
0 Likes