Highlighted
VP of Gaming
29189 posts

Re: Sony Cannot Afford to Pull another "PS3" or "Vita"

Feb 27, 2013

S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT wrote:

I was reading an article on Gamasutra today, and Jack Tretton acted like a stupid, egotistical noob. In the article, Tretton is quoted saying:

"I think people are willing to pay if they see the value there, and I think there's more choice than ever before for consumers. I think those are additive experiences. They demystify gaming. They bring people in with a bite-sized experience. But ultimately I think people migrate up the food chain," he said, though he did admit that the PlayStation 4 will support free-to-play games.

"Conversely, if you're someone who considers themselves a true gamer, and wants to play the most powerful devices and the most deep enriching gaming experiences, you're not going to find yourself migrating down the food chain, other than to maybe kill some time or to complement that core gaming experience."

What Tretton is basically saying is that all the casual gamers that play Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, etc. on their cell phones will eventually buy a PS4 because they will decide they want to play on a console. Additionally, he says that the PS4 is a great value, and consumers will see that and buy a PS3. 

If I remember correctly--I'll have to find a source to back this up--a Sony executive made a similar remark about the PlayStation 3, and we all know how that turned out for the PS3 in its early years.

This leads me to believe that the PS4 will be expensive and probably more expensive than the next Xbox and Wii U. In fact, the author of the article says that "Tretton didn't even flinch when a CNBC reporter suggested the PlayStation 4 might be $600."

EDIT: Ah, yes, here we go: http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2002986247_webethree11.html

I don't think that's egotistical at all. He's saying if you want the most enriching gameplay, you're not going to buy a LESS powerful machine. Just like if you're a true driver what kind of car are you going to buy? A Toyota Carolloa? Or something like a Ferrari 430? Or a TVR Sagaris? There's nothing wrong with saying that.

Listen, we heard all last generation about how "Sony is arrogant", and a lot of that if not all of it, was unfounded and was truth by illusory. Meaning it was repeated to the point where it BECAME the truth. Do we really need to go there again? I don't think so.  Do you really think they're in business to be swell guys, and say "It doesn't matter which console you buy, there's no difference"? There's a lot of money on the line, and yes they are going to say that they're machine is going to give you the best experience. There's nothing wrong with that. It's called being a BUSINESSMAN.

Message 41 of 41 (66 Views)
0 Likes