May 27 2014
By: ickleo First Son 2 posts

Sony, Add Feature to Appear Offline to Friends

[ Edited ]
4 replies 3246 views Edited May 27, 2014

I cannot be the only person who just wants some chill time without having game invites and party invites. I don't want to offend my friends by ignoring them so would like to just appear offline and then appear online when i want to join in lol Cant be too much to ask can it??

Mod Edit: Updated subject title. Please review the Rules of Conduct, located here. -Super_Nova2k13

Message 1 of 5 (3,246 Views)
MVP Support
18928 posts

Re: Sony, Add Feature to Appear Offline to Friends

[ Edited ]
May 27, 2014

ickleo wrote:

I cannot be the only person who just wants some chill time without having game invites and party invites. I don't want to offend my friends by ignoring them so would like to just appear offline and then appear online when i want to join in lol Cant be too much to ask can it??

Mod Edit: Updated subject title. Please review the Rules of Conduct, located here. -Super_Nova2k13

|Welcome to the PlayStation Community Forums

Very nice first post. Not only are you making a reasonable request but at the same time managed to get your first Mod edit Smiley Wink  Please, do take the time to read the Rules of Conduct as directed.

Offline presence for when you just want to turn your system on to watch netflix, etc.

This is a feature I wanted since the introduction of Netflix on the PS3.  SONY, requires for users to login to the PSN server before apps like Netflix can connect. I honestly don't see why can't this feature be done silently, as in, why can't the required PSN check-in be done in the background without having to log me in & making my online presence visible.  After that long day at work all you want to do is watch a movie and call it a night.

By now I've grown out of it. A friend will understand when you are not up for gaming at the moment. They are gamers so they should be able to relate. And to be honest, I like to know who is online Smiley Tongue Smiley Happy

NETFLIX

--I've not done the following on the PS4 but perhaps the same behavior applies--

After you log into netflix, you can sign-out of the PSN and still be able to stream on netflix. Furthermore, there is the posibility that the same behavior might apply to other apps that are not ad-based like Crackle.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 2 of 5 (3,237 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1500 posts

May 27, 2014

I hate people who want to appear offline, its like they want to spy on you without being spyed on back >.<

Message 3 of 5 (3,220 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
9835 posts

May 27, 2014

ickleo wrote:

You can appear offline on PS3 just by changing your Friends List comment. You will be online, but everybody on your friends list will see you as being offline. You can play games online and go to Netflix and Playstation Home, but all the people on your friends list will see you as being offline. Here is how to do it.

1. In your Comment, go to virtual keyboard, click on the grid ( go to small keyboard) 

2. Click on the wrench down bellow 

3. Click on Single Tap. 

4. Type 3 Dots with SPACE ( Dot Triangle Dot Triangle Dot ) (. . .)

5. Press the Start button TWICE, this will eliminate the one space (it should look this( . .. ) 

6. SIGN OUT. 

7. Sign back In. 

8. Erase your dots to be seen by others (change comment). You can't go back unless erase them (change comment), even if you turn off your system and go back online.

Here is a link to a forum thread that explains how to appear offline on PS3.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/Do-you-want-to-appear-Offline-while-using-Ho...The more you know

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 4 of 5 (3,211 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13633 posts

Dec 2, 2014

Well since I can't game in an offline mode my X1 will be at my house in like 2-3 days. All because Sony wont let me game in offline. I don't want to make a new account then have my friends come up and see the alt account and see the games I may try and be like "oh i see you dont want to game with us" and hear all that crap.

Message 5 of 5 (2,774 Views)
0 Likes