PlayStation MVP
16120 posts

Re: Solid State Drive (SSD) in PS3 Super Slim

Nov 21, 2012

minamoto19 wrote:

You wont earn nothing by upgrading to SSD, maybe slightly faster installation times. Sata limit is 150MB/s so buy a high end HDD. Its the same thing as for PS3.

While I can side with you on that.....

the benefit of SSD on the PS3 shines when the drive is LOADED with data...... with a HDD the more data it has, the longer the load times will be because the read head will have to sift though massive amount of data vs an hdd thats near empty.

the 500Gb drives in my PS3's have about 150Gb left and I am literally FEELING the PS3 drudge along as it takes a while for it to cache up all the thumbnails of the games, and movies on the hdd.

Besides, the SSD I showed him is only $100 for 120Gb.... not a big drive, but not a small drive either and the cost is reasonable.

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 11 of 24 (8,862 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 22, 2012

Yes thats true. HDD as gets more full, the read speed is slowed down. Thats why SSD doesnt need defragment.

Nice idea for an article btw. How to maintain you PS3 Hard Drive in a good shape.

Sorry if i went offtopic.

Message 12 of 24 (8,847 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
896 posts

Nov 22, 2012

minamoto19 wrote:

You wont earn nothing by upgrading to SSD, maybe slightly faster installation times. Sata limit is 150MB/s so buy a high end HDD. Its the same thing as for PS3.

No, this is not really true. As someone who played PS3 for years on the factory HDDs and now has a SSD, there is a HUGE performance difference in alot of titles. The biggest leaps I noticed in particular games I play are:

RAGE. You know about the notorious texture pop-in this game is famous for? It's a huge deal, happens on all platforms. Even PC unless you had a super-computer. It was a product of the megatexture system. It was worst on 360 with no install, 2nd worst on PS3, better on 360 with install, and varied on PCs obviously. Well, when I went to SSD, which was after RAGE came out, so I played it before too, there is absolutely no texture pop-in. By the time the motion-blur stops, the texture is loaded. That's a HUGE example of the superiority of solid state imo. And btw, I've seen other research on this issue people have done on the internet, and a 7500rpm hdd (faster than the stock PS3 hdds) didn't totally fix the issue, though it did help. So the SSD is deffinitely faster in a PS3 than a 7500 rpm hdd.

Dragon Age Origins. This game was a double edged sword on PS3. It was by FAR the best looking console version. The blu-ray disc is packed with the higher-rez textures of the PC version for all the environments in the game. But because of that, the PS3 version also has framerate issues and pop-in. When I switched to SSD, all of that was cured. No more pop-in, no more framerate issues.

Gran Turismo 5, the initial install on the SSD took about 2 or 3 minutes, and the full install after took another 2-3. It was like 1/5th of the time and my in-game load times are super-fast accross the board and I no longer notice the occasional tearing.

Same for Sacred 2 Fallen Angel (a game all Diablo/Champions of Norrath lovers who game on PS3 should own btw), The game is awesome. Open world Diablo/Champions basically. But it's plagued with screen tear and pop-in on PS3....that is unless you have a SSD. The game runs buttery smooth now.

Also there's the advantage of no moving parts and less heat, which is less wear and tear on the system and less energy usage. HDDs are a weak point. Honestly, it's a shame SSDs are still so expensive because they are better in every way and should be the standard of the industry by now. Everything that needs a hard drive these days should have SSD.

PSN ID: Darth-Krayt

Eye of Judgment, Monster Hunter, Killzone 2, Sared 2 Fallen Angel, WipOut HD Fury, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Super Street Fighter 4, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, Mortal Kombat, Unreal Tounament 3, MGS4, Oblivion, Ghostbusters, Dragon Age Origins, MAG, Heavy Rain, GoW3, Dragon Age 2, Rage, Skyrim, DOOM3:BFG, Gran Turismo 5
Message 13 of 24 (8,837 Views)
PlayStation MVP
16120 posts

Nov 22, 2012

Darth-Krayt wrote: Gran Turismo 5, the initial install on the SSD took about 2 or 3 minutes, and the full install after took another 2-3. It was like 1/5th of the time and my in-game load times are super-fast accross the board and I no longer notice the occasional tearing.

You must have bought the XL version...... I was one of the many lucky ones that had to spend OVERNIGHT downloading the updates....

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 14 of 24 (8,833 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 22, 2012

Darth-Krayt wrote:

minamoto19 wrote:

No, this is not really true. As someone who played PS3 for years on the factory HDDs and now has a SSD, there is a HUGE performance difference in alot of titles. The biggest leaps I noticed in particular games I play are:

Also there's the advantage of no moving parts and less heat, which is less wear and tear on the system and less energy usage. HDDs are a weak point. Honestly, it's a shame SSDs are still so expensive because they are better in every way and should be the standard of the industry by now. Everything that needs a hard drive these days should have SSD.

I havent said, do not upgrade. I said to upgrade the crappy factory HDD of PS3 with a HIGH END HDD. The transmitting data rate will be the same to the PS3 even if you put a SSD because of the Sata controller.

Yes their power consumption, noise and heat are lower.

Message 15 of 24 (8,831 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
896 posts

Nov 22, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Darth-Krayt wrote: Gran Turismo 5, the initial install on the SSD took about 2 or 3 minutes, and the full install after took another 2-3. It was like 1/5th of the time and my in-game load times are super-fast accross the board and I no longer notice the occasional tearing.

You must have bought the XL version...... I was one of the many lucky ones that had to spend OVERNIGHT downloading the updates....

No, my original version I got the day the game launched and I still play every day. The initial install took 15-20 minutes and the extra install took about the same on the stock HDDs, I know because I've done it a few times on different PS3s. Each install took 3, maybe 5 minutes tops with the SSD. I'm not even talking about the updates, just the game data installs. Update times aren't really noticably reduced, maybe just the actual install of the update a bit.

PSN ID: Darth-Krayt

Eye of Judgment, Monster Hunter, Killzone 2, Sared 2 Fallen Angel, WipOut HD Fury, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Super Street Fighter 4, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, Mortal Kombat, Unreal Tounament 3, MGS4, Oblivion, Ghostbusters, Dragon Age Origins, MAG, Heavy Rain, GoW3, Dragon Age 2, Rage, Skyrim, DOOM3:BFG, Gran Turismo 5
Message 16 of 24 (8,822 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
225 posts

Nov 23, 2012

As a matter of interest, what makes the big difference with an SSD in the PS3 (nicely illustrated by Darth-Krayt) is not so much the read speed, which a fast 7200 rpm hard disk can max out, but rather the seek times (time it takes to seek to a file location) can be well over fifty times faster (e.g. 0.21 ms compared to 12.5 ms).

Message 17 of 24 (8,821 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Nov 23, 2012

Tribble6 wrote:

As a matter of interest, what makes the big difference with an SSD in the PS3 (nicely illustrated by Darth-Krayt) is not so much the read speed, which a fast 7200 rpm hard disk can max out, but rather the seek times (time it takes to seek to a file location) can be well over fifty times faster (e.g. 0.21 ms compared to 12.5 ms).

No, it doesnt matter how fast the seeking times are if PS3 accepts certain amount of data as input. Like it or not, modern HDD's meets and exceeds the SATA1 standards.(as it goes for speeds)

I will explain with a simple example.

If you order a VDSL2 line from your internet service provider (100Mb/s down / 100Mb/s up) and in your place have installed only a 56Kb/s modem; you can download, surf the web or whatever with 56Kb/s maximum speed. The rest of 99,5Mb/s will just wait for their turn to come unless you replace you modem with a new router.

So if you can replace the SATA1 controller of PS3 with something newer you can expect faster speeds.

Message 18 of 24 (8,811 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
225 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 23, 2012

minamoto19 wrote:

Tribble6 wrote:

No, it doesnt matter how fast the seeking times are if PS3 accepts certain amount of data as input. Like it or not, modern HDD's meets and exceeds the SATA1 standards.(as it goes for speeds)

I will explain with a simple example.

If you order a VDSL2 line from your internet service provider (100Mb/s down / 100Mb/s up) and in your place have installed only a 56Kb/s modem; you can download, surf the web or whatever with 56Kb/s maximum speed. The rest of 99,5Mb/s will just wait for their turn to come unless you replace you modem with a new router.

So if you can replace the SATA1 controller of PS3 with something newer you can expect faster speeds.

My post was in part based on a 2012 HDD data throughput chart, which showed that no 5400 rpm drive came close to exceeding SATA 1's 150 MB/s max transfer rate, with the closest being the 1 TB Toshiba DT01ABA100, which achieved an average rate of 119.75 MB/s. The fastest 7200 rpm drive (Seagate Barracuda 7200.14) only achieved 158.73 MB/s. So a fast 7200 drive or SSD will likely yield a 50% improvement in read speeds (assuming standard PS3 5400 HDD probably doesn't even achieve 100 MB/s).

The time it takes a drive to seek to a specific data block is an entirely different metric to the throughput rate. Let me give you a simple example :smileywink:; if you had a 100m race against the current world record holder, Usain Bolt, and as if by some miracle Usian was transfixed by a gorgeous girl in the stands, which resulted in a 5s head start for you (equivalent to -5s seek time), it doesn't matter how fast Usian is (equivalent to throughput rate), you would still win. So for the graphics glitches reportedly solved by SSD, which I believe can occur due to 12 ms delays (especially if cumulative), the 5000%+ seek speed increase gained using SSD can make a difference.

Message 19 of 24 (8,800 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
175 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 7, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Are you considering a switch to a hybrid HDD or SSD? Loading into to BF3 and getting to a flag while othDaer peole are just getting into a game is worth the price of admission. Getting rid of streaming, stuttering issues and graphical glitches are icing. All of this was pretty much done on a hybrid, and Western Digital is coming out with theirs this year. I didn't expect a performance jump like this, but it really is near SSD speeds.

The hybrid SSD/HDD drives from Seagate are out right now for anyone looking to upgrade. Less than $100 for a 500gb 7200rpm with 4gb SSD or 750gb and an 8gb SSD for about $150. If you can hold off, I do recommend waiting for Western Digital drives for better hard drive reliability. 

Message 20 of 24 (8,445 Views)
0 Likes