Highlighted
Oct 08 2012
By: rjo3142 First Son 2 posts

Software Update Issues

3 replies 109 views Edited Oct 8, 2012

Hello all:

We've had our PS3 since Chirstmas and are just now getting started using it.  The kids have been playing games, however today, I began the process of connecting to the internet so we can use Netflix.  Here's my problem.  I connected fine and the unit stated that I needed to download the current update patch (sounded resonable).  Initally, it showed a status bar indicating that I was downloading data, then it went into, "install" mode.  It has been stuck on the same screen for over 5 hours.  Is this normal?  I did download the patch to a thumbdrive and have read about the procedure of loading that way.  Should I continue waiting, or should I load the patch with the thumb drive.  If I go for the latter option can someone outline the procedure for loading.

Thanks all:

Jay

Plymouth, MI

Message 1 of 4 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1425 posts

Re: Software Update Issues

Oct 8, 2012
Hey ya that should not happen shut the ps3 off then on and try Netflix and see if it asks for a update again it should update to 4.25 which is like a 300mb download then you may need to download the Netflix app chances are it installed then update and just froze idk why but hey stuff happens let me know how it goes
Message 2 of 4 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Oct 8, 2012

If you're talking about the PS3 firmware update..... yes, if its taking that long, there is an issue.....

It should only take about 10-15 minutes at the most (longer for those who have really slow network subscriptions).

You'll have to do the PC/USB method for this outlined here--->  (what the guide doesn't tell you, is that you need to have a USB stick that is formatted to FAT/FAT32) http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/pc_update/index.htm

You'll need to enter "Safe Mode", here is a video on how to get to Safe Mode

And the only safe mode option you need to worry yourself with is Option 6: System Update..... Follow the on-screen instructions and you're set

Furiously Chaosing
Message 3 of 4 (98 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 8, 2012

Many Thanks GR3.  Did the thumb drive option.  We're up and running!

Jay

Message 4 of 4 (73 Views)
0 Likes