Highlighted
Mar 21 2011
By: musicman1234 Fender Bender 3519 posts

Socom and Plus Members.

11 replies 31 views Edited Mar 21, 2011

I wanted to take a second to let the plus members know about one of the games we will get tommorrow on Plus and it's the thrid person shooter Socom. I have been playing this the past week in private beta. First I wanted to address that some will see Socom as just another shooter and not even bother downloading. People consider "War Games", as one of the many copy cat games where you twitch,strafe and chase the red dots..maybe kill a few,die and show of your Kill Death Ratio(KDR). I always had problems following my team in a first person shooter. I can not see my team visually around me (unless they are in front of me)and that is very limiting in a group setting. You can't look around...Socom has the same mechanics pretty much as Red Dead Redemption. For you FPS folks,its gonna take a sec or 2 to get the hang of it.Just play it and watch how team work can be used so much better having a thrid person views advantage. It's not a twitch shooter at all. Even playing with randoms,the games were just overall better than a FPS with randoms in my mind..Just to let you know.  It kind of spells it out for you where you are truly needed and will award you more points for doing so. Mag fell a tad short on explaining what your suppose to be doing besides shooting a gun...Socom got it right.

socom.4.logo_musicman1234.gif

This is not your Dad's Socom...Pick it up...IF you wanna feel like part of a team visually...This is about as close as I have seen to it in this Genre. Zipper just has this style that deals with teamwork like no other comany. Lotta shooters have become apples and oranges today.You really can't compare them anymore.There is not a single one that is better than the other right now.

I can't put Socom in this catagory.

Message 1 of 12 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5113 posts

Re: Socom and Plus Members.

Mar 21, 2011

nice post mm and thanks for the info for our non socom members. personally i played confrontation and hated it. but i will give this game a try

Message 2 of 12 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
142 posts

Mar 21, 2011

musicman1234 wrote:

I wanted to take a second to let the plus members know about one of the games we will get tommorrow on Plus and it's the thrid person shooter Socom. I have been playing this the past week in private beta. First I wanted to address that some will see Socom as just another shooter and not even bother downloading. People consider "War Games", as one of the many copy cat games where you twitch,strafe and chase the red dots..maybe kill a few,die and show of your Kill Death Ratio(KDR). I always had problems following my team in a first person shooter. I can not see my team visually around me (unless they are in front of me)and that is very limiting in a group setting. You can't look around...Socom has the same mechanics pretty much as Red Dead Redemption. For you FPS folks,its gonna take a sec or 2 to get the hang of it.Just play it and watch how team work can be used so much better having a thrid person views advantage. It's not a twitch shooter at all. Even playing with randoms,the games were just overall better than a FPS with randoms in my mind..Just to let you know.  It kind of spells it out for you where you are truly needed and will award you more points for doing so. Mag fell a tad short on explaining what your suppose to be doing besides shooting a gun...Socom got it right.

This is not your Dad's Socom...Pick it up...IF you wanna feel like part of a team visually...This is about as close as I have seen to it in this Genre. Zipper just has this style that deals with teamwork like no other comany. Lotta shooters have become apples and oranges today.You really can't compare them anymore.There is not a single one that is better than the other right now.

Photobucket

I agree on some points, but the 3rd person view seems to make camping a little easier, the game can get boring real easy with 2 guys camping in a non respawn game. you see it in uncharted, James bond blood stone, and others. I am also in the closed beta, but I just think that is a 3rd person shooters downfall, the camping all game.

XBOX LIVE GT: olLANDSHARKlo
STEAM: olLANDSHARKlo
Message 3 of 12 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7350 posts

Mar 22, 2011

I LOVE shooter games, so looking forward to checking out the beta. 

Sneeches Trophy Card
Message 4 of 12 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3519 posts

Mar 22, 2011

But you have camping in any shooter game..Even Mag...as far as 3rd person, its gonna be tough for fps guys only to get the hang of it...

PHIBALNATION wrote:

musicman1234 wrote:

Photobucket

I agree on some points, but the 3rd person view seems to make camping a little easier, the game can get boring real easy with 2 guys camping in a non respawn game. you see it in uncharted, James bond blood stone, and others. I am also in the closed beta, but I just think that is a 3rd person shooters downfall, the camping all game.

Message 5 of 12 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3519 posts

Mar 22, 2011

Its almost a total of 2gb download...First part is a small one then a gig and a half so make sure you set time aside for this

Sneeches wrote:

I LOVE shooter games, so looking forward to checking out the beta. 

Sneeches Trophy Card
Message 6 of 12 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
354 posts

Mar 24, 2011

As a new player to the game, the amount of time waiting for the round to end was a real bummer. The game is really slow as well.

I am not sure I understand the hype.

UNIT-TRB Trophy Card
Message 7 of 12 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5113 posts

Mar 24, 2011

UNIT-TRB wrote:

As a new player to the game, the amount of time waiting for the round to end was a real bummer. The game is really slow as well.

UNIT-TRB Trophy Card

just curious if your new to shooters in general - or just to socom? not being a smart alleck - just trying to figure if ishould give 4 a try out. I love shooters, but hated socom confrontation. so wondering if this game is just more of the same

Message 8 of 12 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3519 posts

Mar 24, 2011

Hello UNIT-TRB..You must have been playing classic mode where there is no respawn.You can switch it to standard mode where respawn is on and there is no wait.Make sure you look under game types real good.

UNIT-TRB wrote:

UNIT-TRB Trophy Card
Message 9 of 12 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3519 posts

Mar 24, 2011

Far removed from Confrontation..Yes..Different.

jpbslayer wrote:

UNIT-TRB wrote:

UNIT-TRB Trophy Card

just curious if your new to shooters in general - or just to socom? not being a smart alleck - just trying to figure if ishould give 4 a try out. I love shooters, but hated socom confrontation. so wondering if this game is just more of the same

Message 10 of 12 (31 Views)
0 Likes