Reply
Oct 07 2012
By: Katzenbach Splicer 70 posts
Offline

So you CAN play PS2 games on a PS3 Slim??

23 replies 21644 views Edited Oct 7, 2012

I was under the impression that PS2 games aren't playable on a PS3 Slim but I came across this video on youtube that shows you can simply by downloading a add-on patch from the PSN Store:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTDaefSyCHY

Message 1 of 24 (21,644 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 11/11/2007
Offline
707 posts
 

Re: So you CAN play PS2 games on a PS3 Slim??

Oct 7, 2012

No not from disc only the one that sony has on the store which are less then 10

Message 2 of 24 (21,640 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16824 posts
 

Re: So you CAN play PS2 games on a PS3 Slim??

Oct 7, 2012

Katzenbach wrote:

I was under the impression that PS2 games aren't playable on a PS3 Slim but I came across this video on youtube that shows you can simply by downloading a add-on patch from the PSN Store:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTDaefSyCHY


If you bothered to pay attention to the like bar (which the video has more dislikes than likes aka red lightsaber) or the HUNDREDS of comments people have made over the years since the video was released, they all say the same thing IT DOESNT WORK.......

 

 

The video is a sad attempt to troll.

 

 

Why dont you try it and see what happens.......

Furiously Chaosing
Message 3 of 24 (21,629 Views)
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: So you CAN play PS2 games on a PS3 Slim??

Oct 7, 2012

Ivan- wrote:

No not from disc only the one that sony has on the store which are less then 10


You should look again, there are about 30 PS2 classics available to download from the PSN store...

Message 4 of 24 (21,618 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
10687 posts
 

Re: So you CAN play PS2 games on a PS3 Slim??

[ Edited ]
Oct 7, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Ivan- wrote:

No not from disc only the one that sony has on the store which are less then 10


You should look again, there are about 30 PS2 classics available to download from the PSN store...


I think Ivan means they are $10.  And he's right.

 

As for the video:  It is the GoW Collection that he is playing, which is a PS3 title.  The tip off that something is amiss:  "I'm making this video of playing PS2 games on my PS3, but in the midst of recording it, I have to run upstairs to grab the games.  Be right back."

 

The other major tip off is that PS2 disc games didn't fill the whole screen unless you upscaled to fill the screen.  And if you did that, they looked like crap.

Message 5 of 24 (21,610 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 10/01/2008
Online
8998 posts
 

Re: So you CAN play PS2 games on a PS3 Slim??

Oct 7, 2012

Katzenbach wrote:

I was under the impression that PS2 games aren't playable on a PS3 Slim but I came across this video on youtube that shows you can simply by downloading a add-on patch from the PSN Store:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTDaefSyCHY


I call...

 

Brewing_Master-shenanigans.jpg

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 6 of 24 (21,600 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 10/30/2009
Offline
70 posts
 

Re: So you CAN play PS2 games on a PS3 Slim??

Oct 7, 2012

Sorry.  Didn't mean to upset anyone here.  I just figured that perhaps someone had figured out a way or something since watching the video.  Yes, I have noticed the PS2 games in the PSN store but I'm mostly concerned with my FF XII game which I bought foolishly thinking my PS3 Slim was backwards compatible.  I hear that FF X is supposed to get a HD remake soon so that's somewhat good news.

Message 7 of 24 (21,594 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: So you CAN play PS2 games on a PS3 Slim??

Oct 7, 2012

Katzenbach wrote:

Sorry.  Didn't mean to upset anyone here.  I just figured that perhaps someone had figured out a way or something since watching the video.  Yes, I have noticed the PS2 games in the PSN store but I'm mostly concerned with my FF XII game which I bought foolishly thinking my PS3 Slim was backwards compatible.  I hear that FF X is supposed to get a HD remake soon so that's somewhat good news.


I can't really blame you for making that mistake. Sony isn't very vocal on this matter. They once stated that a PS3 Slim couldn't play PS2 games on the box, but that has since been removed. You would have to have already realize that this might be an issue, and then research it, before you would know...

Message 8 of 24 (21,562 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28440 posts
 

Re: So you CAN play PS2 games on a PS3 Slim??

Oct 7, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Katzenbach wrote:

Sorry.  Didn't mean to upset anyone here.  I just figured that perhaps someone had figured out a way or something since watching the video.  Yes, I have noticed the PS2 games in the PSN store but I'm mostly concerned with my FF XII game which I bought foolishly thinking my PS3 Slim was backwards compatible.  I hear that FF X is supposed to get a HD remake soon so that's somewhat good news.


I can't really blame you for making that mistake. Sony isn't very vocal on this matter. They once stated that a PS3 Slim couldn't play PS2 games on the box, but that has since been removed. You would have to have already realize that this might be an issue, and then research it, before you would know...


They have been "vocal"... about three years ago. 

 

 

http://kotaku.com/5340337/sony-explain-why-the-ps3-slim-has-no-backwards-compatibility

 

There's some out there who either want to believe it will come back, or they don't know that you can use this very site to find the answers WITHOUT having to buy the console first. 

 

It's not an "issue", because there's nothing wrong. That's like if I said it's an "issue" that my car can't fly. 

Message 9 of 24 (21,556 Views)
Naughty Paw
Registered: 12/06/2011
Offline
19546 posts
 

Re: So you CAN play PS2 games on a PS3 Slim??

Oct 7, 2012
The main thing to try to prove it wrong is to insert a PS2 disc and see if it works. Smiley Tongue

It won't, but that's a shorthand way of seeing if it will. Smiley Wink

But yes, I wish there was a definite answer or something because I still have a lot of PS2 games that are useless now because my PS2 is now used by my sisters as a DVD player and all the PS2 games are in my room, unplayable. Smiley Sad
Message 10 of 24 (21,555 Views)
Reply
0 Likes