Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Re: So, Free-to-Play games arent free to play?

Jun 11, 2013

Gadirok wrote:

NullPointer256 wrote:

I'm agree that PSN+ offers some value.

But blocking multiplayer behind a paywall just isn't justified, not does it put the gamer first. It wasn't cool when Microsoft did it, and not now. 

The big difference is Xbone will provide dedicated servers, so now there's actually some value to Gold. Ironic.

I'm not defending the paywall thing. I am completely against it, but if you don't value PS+ and object to the paywall. I recommend that you do not get PS4.

I however will be the hypocrite and buy a PS4 anyways. And I am completely fine admitting that. 

There is absolutely nothing we can do at this point to stop next-gen consoles from having online MP locked behind a paywall. I am disgusted by it. I was hoping MS would drop it, not sony adopt it.

I don't value dedicated servers as much as I should, as the positives of PS+ outweigh the garbage MS is providing.

Agree with the value for sure; however, my guess you either don't PC game much or just didn't care to know the difference (which most people don't lol) so here is a basic breakdown of dedicated vs non dedicated,

Dedicated server - Server will only do what you want it to do. You have all of the computers resources at your command.

Non-Dedicated Server - Resources are shared between multiple users.  

Refering to a game server then "Dedicated" is when your computer just runs the server and "Non-Dedicated" is where you are the server AND you can play.

In simple terms a Dedicated server will be running 24/7 while a "Non-Dedicated Server" will be online until said user decides to shut it down, quit etc.  Dedicated servers are much more stable b/c the server is the only thing using all the resources which means better bandwidth per user while other later will depend on how each individual server power, layout, etc is setup.  Dedicated server structure can also lead to much longer periods of servers staying up rather than sometimes getting flaky 3rd party server companies who might have to randomly shut down servers b/c they might be going belly up, etc.

Hope this helps lol

Message 11 of 13 (56 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
742 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 11, 2013

Mantiskilla wrote:

Gadirok wrote:

NullPointer256 wrote:

But blocking multiplayer behind a paywall just isn't justified, not does it put the gamer first. It wasn't cool when Microsoft did it, and not now. 

The big difference is Xbone will provide dedicated servers, so now there's actually some value to Gold. Ironic.

I'm not defending the paywall thing. I am completely against it, but if you don't value PS+ and object to the paywall. I recommend that you do not get PS4.

I however will be the hypocrite and buy a PS4 anyways. And I am completely fine admitting that. 

There is absolutely nothing we can do at this point to stop next-gen consoles from having online MP locked behind a paywall. I am disgusted by it. I was hoping MS would drop it, not sony adopt it.

I don't value dedicated servers as much as I should, as the positives of PS+ outweigh the garbage MS is providing.

Agree with the value for sure; however, my guess you either don't PC game much or just didn't care to know the difference (which most people don't lol) so here is a basic breakdown of dedicated vs non dedicated,

Dedicated server - Server will only do what you want it to do. You have all of the computers resources at your command.

Refering to a game server then "Dedicated" is when your computer just runs the server and "Non-Dedicated" is where you are the server AND you can play.

In simple terms a Dedicated server will be running 24/7 while a "Non-Dedicated Server" will be online until said user decides to shut it down, quit etc.  Dedicated servers are much more stable b/c the server is the only thing using all the resources which means better bandwidth per user while other later will depend on how each individual server power, layout, etc is setup.  Dedicated server structure can also lead to much longer periods of servers staying up rather than sometimes getting flaky 3rd party server companies who might have to randomly shut down servers b/c they might be going belly up, etc.

Hope this helps lol

No I just meant in terms of me. I know what dedicated servers are and don't care enough for them.

Online gaming isin't as important to me as offline gaming is. The PS+ offerings and the free games they have given me, along with the discounts and freebies means more to me than dedicated servers, and alot more value too.

Its nice to know a game like Halo 5 will still be online 11 years in the future, but I simply don't care as I probably won't return to it and move onto better and more worthwhile things.

Message 12 of 13 (50 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1311 posts

Jun 11, 2013

Mantiskilla wrote:

Gadirok wrote:

NullPointer256 wrote:

Hope this helps lol

There is only value in the Plus PAY TO PAY on the PS4 if you use the shoveled content they provide

IF it comes down to PAY TO PAY...from sony... AT least:

Tier the Plus subscription for pay to play (cost less) and not a full plus membership of content I do not want or use..

Message 13 of 13 (40 Views)
0 Likes