Jun 11 2013
By: NullPointer256 First Son 14 posts

So, Free-to-Play games arent free to play?

12 replies 195 views Edited Jun 11, 2013

If multiplayer requires PSN+ then now both the Xbox and PS4 require users to pay for the privilege of playing Free-To-Play games.

Can somebody explain how that is not the dumbest thing ever? Console gaming has ceased to make sense.

Message 1 of 13 (195 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10910 posts

Re: So, Free-to-Play games arent free to play?

Jun 11, 2013

NullPointer256 wrote:

If multiplayer requires PSN+ then now both the Xbox and PS4 require users to pay for the privilege of playing Free-To-Play games.

Can somebody explain how that is not the dumbest thing ever? Console gaming has ceased to make sense.

I don't know of any F2P games that have been officially announced for the PS4, yet.

Online gaming on the PS3 is still free.

Message 2 of 13 (186 Views)
First Son
14 posts

Jun 11, 2013

Warframe and Planetside 2 are both coming to the PS4. Both are Free to Play. 

Correction: Both *were* Free-To-Play until the past hour when it was revealed that PS4 multiplayer of any kind requires PSN+

This is madness.

Message 3 of 13 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6941 posts

Jun 11, 2013

NullPointer256 wrote:

Dont confuse your self it  quite simple, sony is  offering every game in their catalog and  so is gaikai day1 .. They  have to pay the security and servers, Maybe even taxes too.. i suppose  and also plus  the  subs...   If  yu can afford it just  buy psn + now for 1 yr 50$ and youll be ok.   The summer is best mnth to but   sub..  middle of the year  make the year seem longer.

BTW THere will off line games was  well you can play  on ps4. YOu  dont have to be online.  FOr people myself who dont come online to  often  this is blessing. Smiley Happy  .. Me personally im going to stack my psn plus  .$150 will be about right  for me.. . Set it and forget it  lol.

Also this is a better choce than Drm..  happy gaming in your future

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 4 of 13 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 11, 2013

Well I don't really give a bleep b/c I can play those games on PC already and "Completely" for free w/o some PS+ membership requirement.  Why the fact that these F2P games are all of a sudden getting mad hype even though they've been out for months just shows how shallow the gaming industry is towards the PC gaming market.  Just sad really.  That being said I don't think Sony would be dumb enough to have their F2P games be linked with the requirement of a PS+ membership.  If that ends up happening though thats just plain dumb.  Then again my guess is that if you're wanting to play a F2P online game chances are you like playing online and would have a PS+ account anyway which leads me back to PC gamers can enjoy the game completely free.

Message 5 of 13 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
646 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 11, 2013

You're not paying, solely, to play games online.  You're paying for a bundle of features, which happens to include the ability to play games online.

Message 6 of 13 (145 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jun 11, 2013

I'm agree that PSN+ offers some value.

But blocking multiplayer behind a paywall just isn't justified, not does it put the gamer first. It wasn't cool when Microsoft did it, and not now. 

The big difference is Xbone will provide dedicated servers, so now there's actually some value to Gold. Ironic.

Message 7 of 13 (126 Views)
Naughty Paw
20192 posts

Jun 11, 2013
You won't be paying to purchase the game, but you will be paying for the ability to play them online.

Think of it as purchasing the shell with Plus and having the inside (the F2P game) unlocked with the shell (Plus).

Technically, they will still be F2P in the sense of buying the game, but playing online will still work like every other PS4 game requiring PS+.
Message 8 of 13 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Jun 11, 2013

DanSD wrote:

You're not paying, solely, to play games online.  You're paying for a bundle of features, which happens to include the ability to play games online.

No I was aware of that, but c'mon lets face it most people who sign up for PS+ are really going to be signing up for the service for the online play regardless if the service ended up having a bundle of features or not.  That's why i really didn't mention about the other featues since I was trying to refer to the online play portion of it.  I get your point though

Message 9 of 13 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
742 posts

Jun 11, 2013

NullPointer256 wrote:

I'm agree that PSN+ offers some value.

But blocking multiplayer behind a paywall just isn't justified, not does it put the gamer first. It wasn't cool when Microsoft did it, and not now. 

The big difference is Xbone will provide dedicated servers, so now there's actually some value to Gold. Ironic.

I'm not defending the paywall thing. I am completely against it, but if you don't value PS+ and object to the paywall. I recommend that you do not get PS4.

I however will be the hypocrite and buy a PS4 anyways. And I am completely fine admitting that. 

There is absolutely nothing we can do at this point to stop next-gen consoles from having online MP locked behind a paywall. I am disgusted by it. I was hoping MS would drop it, not sony adopt it.

I don't value dedicated servers as much as I should, as the positives of PS+ outweigh the garbage MS is providing.

Message 10 of 13 (102 Views)
0 Likes