Jul 06 2014
By: Cryptiss Splicer 56 posts

So... Flower and flOw, but not Journey?

[ Edited ]
25 replies 357 views Edited Jul 7, 2014

So, after getting some opinions from the community, and gathering some research myself, it appears that people are fine and actually glad that Flower and flOw came to PS4 (as they should be).

But they don't think that Journey has any justification to?

Several people have told me that Sony thinks that the game would'nt make enough money to justify the port, and that they're (the community) glad it's staying on PS3. Then how did Flower and flOw justify their ports? They were the "other" two games that thatgamecompany made; not that they aren't good, but they're not as good, successful, or as popular as Journey was on PS3 (good is subjective, I know).

And something else I reitterate; there are people who have moved from XBOX to Playstation (as I have) who really want to play this game, but aren't willing to pay for a whole other console just to play it. You could argue that there are a good number of titles on PS3 that one should try, and not to say that they arent' good, but still, most people, now that the PS4's out, won't be turning around and buying an older console just to play a few good games.

I'm stuck in this boat alone, and no one seems to be with me, but I'll keep sailing it as long as I can. HEAR ME, SONY!

Mod Edit: Corrected typo in title. -- XiomaraRose

Message 1 of 26 (357 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4685 posts

Re: So... Fower and flOw, but not Journey?

Jul 6, 2014

I wish Journey would get released on the PS Vita. I'm surprised it hasn't been already.

Message 2 of 26 (351 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
255 posts

Jul 6, 2014

i didnt play Journey on PS3 so i would definitelly play on PS4 if its released.

-suddenly... life has a new meaning-
Message 3 of 26 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1646 posts

Jul 6, 2014

I agree with you, I wish this game could come so I could play it. I'm not buying a last gen system that won't be around much longer that will probabaly just collect dust once more PS4 games come out. I'd drop money on it, already dropped money on Flower and flOw.

Message 4 of 26 (343 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3231 posts

Jul 6, 2014

I have played Journey on PS3 and would like to see it cross over to the PS4 and Vita as it was one of the best selling PSN games, I have yet to play flOw Smiley Surprised

photo 557c3c40-b625-4286-ad5f-95b19a50b165.jpg
Message 5 of 26 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

Jul 6, 2014

Ok , so some people who actually agree, that's a good sign.

But how are we gonna get Sony to do this? thatgamecompany already said that it's up to Sony on whether or not the game gets ported, and they haven't said anything on the subject. I've submitted several media inquiries on this subject to them, but not one has been answered.

Message 6 of 26 (324 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1163 posts

Jul 7, 2014
I'd play it. I also came from Xbox world and am looking forward to the Last of Us, Uncharted, and other exclusives.
Message 7 of 26 (312 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

Jul 8, 2014

It still doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't port it over.

Some people have argued that , since the PS4 has a new architecture, it would make it too difficult to port.

Ok, so how does this justify Flower and flOw, when they made less money?

In fact, looking back, it doesn't look like Sony was even trying to sell the games, but was more than likely trying to give a selling point for the PS4, since the games are cross-buy, and most people got them for free anyways.

Message 8 of 26 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1957 posts

Jul 8, 2014

Cryptiss wrote:

It still doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't port it over.

It depends on what toolkit or engine they used for the PS3 version. If it was proprietary, it'll probably never happen. Right now there are significantly fewer PS4 owners than PS3, and of those, a good number won't double dip for a short PSN game. Add to that it's not a system seller like TLoU. Other than to sate a number of fans, there probably isn't a business justification for doing so at this point in time.

Message 9 of 26 (268 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10766 posts

Jul 8, 2014

moog wrote:
It depends on what toolkit or engine they used for the PS3 version. If it was proprietary, it'll probably never happen. Right now there are significantly fewer PS4 owners than PS3, and of those, a good number won't double dip for a short PSN game. Add to that it's not a system seller like TLoU. Other than to sate a number of fans, there probably isn't a business justification for doing so at this point in time.

Journey was built on the proprietary Sony (SCEE) PhyreEngine, which is compatible with PC, PSP, PSV, PS3 and PS4.  Other games which use this engine are Hotline: Miami, DiveKick, Flower, FlOw, Gravity Rush, DiRT, GRID and Malicious.  So the game engine is not an issue.

Porting Journey to the PS4 would give a lot of NEW players a chance to play what is, to date, the biggest seller among Playstation downloadables, as we have a rather large number of former 360 players that have chosen the PS4 over the XB1.  And if you've seen some gaming forums, this is one of the most requested ports for ANY other system (PC, 360, Wii, Wii U, etc).

Message 10 of 26 (259 Views)