Survivor
2536 posts

Re: Sly Cooper vs Rayman Origins

Feb 5, 2013

spudsudz wrote:

The bottom line, ceteris paribus if the gameplay experience is the same I will have paid twice the price for Rayman Origins vs. SC Thieves in Time...

It is a legit consideration...  

Actually, it's not legitimate. For Sony as a first party developer it makes sense, but for third party companies that are asked to port games into different iterations of a company's platforms, there's no profit in making games cross buy. If you want it on a portable, buy the portable version. If you want the better looking experience, buy the console version. Furthermore, Rayman Origins came out on the PS3 long before the PSV version, so to expect ports to be retroactively supportive of cross buy is just not feasible~.

And again, it's not profitable for third party companies. If anything, it's just a good way for Sony to make their games / systems appealing~.

Message 21 of 31 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
351 posts

Feb 5, 2013

No midnight launch for me...  However I have fully paid for the game and will be picking it up tomorrow...

All differences aside, I feel that all Vita customers really want the Vita to meet it's potential...  Just yesterday I revisited the Kaz announcement on my PSP media channel...  Yes it is still out there...  Ironically on the PSP PS Store and no where found on the Vita PS Store...

I want the communicated experience that Kaz gave us almost 2 years ago...

I for one am very patient and very forgiving...  I also realize that Sony cannot twist the arms of Devs. and Publishers...

However I hope the sales of SC Thieves of Time are solid so others take note...  Believe you me, they ALL study each other's numbers...

@ remanutd5 You are right, it is about the games but I died a very slow death with all the ports brought to the PSP...  I would rather have 12 games done right per year for the Vita than a hundred poor ones...  But I WANT my 12 per year!  I feel we are the same page but sales do have an impact on the games we will see come to the Vita...  

Message 22 of 31 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7402 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Hopefully we get new psvita game announcements at their feb20th show, i dont think the entire show will be about the ps4. 

Message 23 of 31 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Feb 5, 2013

InfinityDevil wrote:

jedolley wrote:

I have not done a "Cross-Buy" game before. With that said, I am only interested in the Vita version, but it only makes sense to get the PS3 version for $10 more. I assume that I would be able to trade in the PS3 version and still use the Vita version, correct? Is the Vita version just a code or something?

Yes the Vita version will be a voucher code in the box with the PS3 version, so once redeemed it will be just like you bought it off the Vita PlayStation Store.

Is there confirmation of this? Reason I ask is because this was not the case with PSABR, otherwise my friend would have given me his Vita copy, but both versions were tied to his PSN account.

Message 24 of 31 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
351 posts

Feb 5, 2013

@ JuanMdP

If what you state is correct and the brief history doesn't do a thing to contradict your position, then cross buy could have been a thin veiled promise...  I am a greedy gamer and would like to play a solid game when at my house and have the same experience on the road, for a reasonable price point...  

Maybe it is a point of buying one or the other...  Or waiting until the game pricing drops on both, like happened to Origins and then buy both...

Again, reality shows your point to be a very valid one...

Message 25 of 31 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 5, 2013

spudsudz wrote:

I don't spend much time considering unit sales...  Wasn't even the purpose of the post...  However since Cross Buy and Cross Play are communicated Vita features by Sony, I wanted to solicit feedback regarding 2 successful platformer games contrasting the different sales approach...

The bottom line, ceteris paribus if the gameplay experience is the same I will have paid twice the price for Rayman Origins vs. SC Thieves in Time...

It is a legit consideration...  

Just saying...

Hey, sorry. I wasn't trying to highjack your thread. Just thought cross buy sounded appealing and was wondering if it would help sales at all. Especially with it being, from what I understand, a full on port of Sly Cooper for on the road.

I personally have never played a Sly game, but enjoy platformers like The Lost Vikings, Mario, DKC, Contra, Crash Bandicoot, R&C, and Mirrors Edge. Also thought the demo was cool, just a little linear, but I'm guessing it's because it's early in the game.

Playstation owners are lucky that Sony is doing something like this. I'd love it if Microsoft did something like this with Halo, Crackdown, Gears of War, Fable or Alan Wake. 

Message 26 of 31 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
351 posts

Feb 5, 2013

@ UnrealButcher

LOL...  You didn't high jack my thread...  You made it spicier (SIC)...

Besides the responses are well thought out... We all want the Vita to succeed but have varying opinions about the road to get there...

Message 27 of 31 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

Feb 5, 2013

I plan on buying the PS 3/PS V combo tomorrow and playing primarily on my VIta. I don't feel like platforming is dead. In fact I'd say it's still alive and kicking. It's changed a bit over the years. Uncharted has plenty of platforming action tied in with it's 3rd person action. Ratchet & Clank is a solid platforming/action franchise. God of War is an Action/Adventure with plenty of platforming. (I might also be confused about what is and isn't platforming but in my view there is a lot of platforming action in most A/A games today.)

I don't see Sly Cooper pushing Vita sales, nor PS 3 sales (for those who only own one or neither of the systems.) Sly is a fun franchise, but it's never been a "system seller" for Sony.

Message 28 of 31 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

Feb 5, 2013
Hard to say since it's been 8 years. Sly hasn't had the chance to be a system seller for an entire generation. Also, we all know how well the PS2 sold.
Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 29 of 31 (72 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 5, 2013

This isn't really a VS. thing, but I see where you are going with it. I have Rayman Origins on the vita and love it, infact I was upset the vita didn't get the sequel and the Wii U did, and as for Sly Cooper im picking it up for the PS3 for the Cross-Buy since all my vita titles are digital, so to include not only sly into that but to have the hard copy on the ps3, which all my PS3 games are hard copies. and the reduced price well its a win win.

p.s Please RELEASE the Rayman sequel on the VITA.

Message 30 of 31 (70 Views)
0 Likes