Lombax Warrior
148 posts

Re: Sick of delays and people being OK with it

Oct 18, 2013
You clearly have no idea about game development at all. Use your head please.
Message 61 of 159 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 18, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

Vladdie93 wrote:

MADDENKING1980 wrote:
I think part of the problem is a lot of newer/younger gamers have low standards from gaming companies and they think delays, half finished games, and game publishers holding back content for later dlc's is just how the gaming business should be. I believe when a game has a release date it should be met, if the publisher is not 100% certain it can deliver on time then why give a release date?

If I remember correctly drive club was suppose to be a free game on ps+. Has $ony said anything about replacing that game or are the ps+ just screwed.

I fully agree with the people **bleep** off about the delays and I can't figure out why people on these boards are so quick to defend poor business practices. Every project has problems and issues, and nobody want to hear excuses why a deadline was not met.

THANK YOU!

Someone that agrees.

As for PS+, Contrast and Res0Gun are taking its place.

But I'm still not driving like I wanted to...

I've been gaming sicne the days of the Atari, and I have high standards for games - that's why I am begrudgingly okay with these delays. I'm not happy about them, but I understand them.  It's not the best business, but I don't care about that.  i do not play Battlefield and think to myself, "Wow, I bet the introduction of Premium really reinforced EA's stock!"  

This is about enjoying a good game.  Period.  If either W_D or DC had been released buggy, I would have been furious. 

Speaking only for myself, I'm not defending the decision - I'm just trying to understand it.

Also, Res0gun and Contrast look great, so, I'm not feeling the least bit snubbed by that aspect of the decision. 

Yep, old(er) gamer here also. Wife, 5 kids, 3 dogs, 12 fish and all that. I agree with Grindhead_Jim here.

I understand being upset about delays. I preordered Torchlight 2 4-pack in May 2012 after they said they thought a month after Diablo 3 would be a good time (that would mean June) and said it would be a summer release. I bought it thinking I could play with my boys during theirs and my summer break from school.

We got it on Sept. 20th after they had started school and just before I had to go back to school (out of town all week). So much for that idea. We still had a good summer though. Smiley Very Happy

I'll wait for it's release to decide if I'm upset by it's delay. If it turns out like Ratchet and Clank: FFA on Vita with gameplay issues after being delayed, then I'll be upset. Luckily this is being made by a studio who has a long history of making solid racing games. 

Edit: Could you imagine if console launches were handled in one of these two ways.

1. They only announced the consoles launch after all the launch games were done. (Wonder what would have happened w/XB1 and there announced always online, and all their other reversals). Would the console be launched as soon as 6-7 developers announced they are done? Where would the hype be? No preorders? Seems like Publishers/Developers would lose money if they sat on a game until consoles were manufactured. Hmm... Smiley Frustrated

2. During the reveal of the consoles they would have said, "These are games that are coming to next gen. However, we have no release dates for them. They'll be done when they're ready."

Gamer askes, "Will that be a launch game?"

Publisher, "We have no idea. It'll be done when it's done. We don't want to upset anyone who's sanity may hinge on an announced release date being delayed." Smiley Surprised Smiley Very Happy

Gamer, ***RAGE*** Smiley Mad Smiley LOL

Message 62 of 159 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
853 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 18, 2013

No no, they just shouldn't announce a game until it's nearly finished.  Actually they shouldn't release games so closely to them beng finished.  I know it seems like it would be weird to hold on to a finished product for 3 to 6 months but it would work.  Publishers could have a game near completion and the developers could just be optimizing it, then they should announce it for a few months out. Most games would never get delayed then.

Sadly, it won't happen because punlishers want preorder numbers to impress stockholders with.  I mean, wouldn't it be great if you only had to wait 2 or 3 months after finding out about a game before you had to play it?  It would be stellar.

Message 63 of 159 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Oct 18, 2013

I know a software engineer who has helped develop games for the PS2, PS3 and is behind a game being ported to the PS4 as well. I've lost touch with him as of late but he had some pretty good stories about publishers and their 'vision' back in the day.

It must be a pretty nervracking thing trying to make the crunch for a console launch. Nobody wants to ever miss a deadline.

Message 64 of 159 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15343 posts

Oct 18, 2013

Mr-Quu wrote:

No no, they just shouldn't announce a game until it's nearly finished.  Actually they shouldn't release games so closely to them beng finished.  I know it seems like it would be weird to hold on to a finished product for 3 to 6 months but it would work.  Publishers could have a game near completion and the developers could just be optimizing it, then they should announce it for a few months out. Most games would never get delayed then.

Sadly, it won't happen because punlishers want preorder numbers to impress stockholders with.  I mean, wouldn't it be great if you only had to wait 2 or 3 months after finding out about a game before you had to play it?  It would be stellar.

That has never been the case and I don't know what has changed for anyone to even consider wanting such a system.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 65 of 159 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Oct 18, 2013

Mr-Quu wrote:

I see the merit of your idea, but, in an instant-information world, it's just impossible, simply by virture that details would leak anyway.  I wish that were feasible, I really do, but, I don't see it.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 66 of 159 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4036 posts

Oct 18, 2013

You can win with people like YOU. delay it and you rage. Dump it on the market and you rage. how many this is **bleep** crap game I'm never buying from X company again posts would you do!!!  You should stop reading about games and just walk in the store then buy them when they are out.....

Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
It's a better idea to buy games for your PS4
Than to buy a New Console for your PS4
Message 67 of 159 (143 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1004 posts

Oct 18, 2013

fede01_8 wrote:

"Good, more time to polish the game" Just shut up!!

How about you make sure the game it's close to getting finished before announcing a release date? uh, it's that too much to ask? is it so hard to calculate when the game is going to be finished?

The hype will be gone by next year.

Right now, what Sony's line up has over MS's is Killzone Shadowfall. Knack only appeals to Indie and plataformers fans. If it weren't $100 more expensive the race would be much tighter, at least for non-fanboys of either consoles

1. A release date is a time frame they expect the game to be complete by.
  2. In reality, unexpected things happen. It's called life and we ALL have to deal with it.
  3. Yes, it is kinda  hard to calculate when a game is going to be released.

I've been waiting for over 3 years since FFX HD was announced and now hear that it's been delayed to "winter". Sure I'm unhappy, but I'd rather wait for a finished product instead of something that was rushed.

Message 68 of 159 (136 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13132 posts

Re: I'm sick of delays and people being OK with it

Oct 18, 2013
Guys guys guys, op is just a raging kid. He raged at me in the gta section cause HE was being racist
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 69 of 159 (132 Views)
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Oct 18, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

Mr-Quu wrote:

I see the merit of your idea, but, in an instant-information world, it's just impossible, simply by virture that details would leak anyway.  I wish that were feasible, I really do, but, I don't see it.

In all honesty it is a stupid practice to set a release date with less than 75% of a game done. I agree studios should sit on games.

Sony needed a racing game at launch. Will they remember this in 6-8 years? Probably not.

Message 70 of 159 (128 Views)
0 Likes