May 05 2013
By: GrayGargoyle Last Guardian 11734 posts

Should I sell my video game collection?

18 replies 754 views Edited May 5, 2013

When referring to my video game collection, apart from what I have for the PlayStation 3, in actuality I'm indicating the PlayStation originals I've hoarded for years and years. In due time the PlayStation 4 will be out. At this point it's impossible to say whether I'll get it immediately or soon after it comes out without there being a price in mind or even enough games or details to determine an answer.

With the PlayStation 4 not being backwards compatible though, that brings me the point of wanting to sell off the games I won't be able to play anymore... not that I've been playing them anyway. Amidst my collection is the likes of the NES and Super NES Final Fantasy ports as well as copies of both Lunar RPGs. I wouldn't be as sad to see the Final Fantasy games go (except for Chrono Trigger being on there), but the Lunar games are in my view the greatest collector's items imaginable. Not being able to play the games again does have me bummed out though.

The last time I popped in the Lunar disc must've been a few years ago. The games have been sitting there not being played since then, but at least I've still had an opportunity to give them a shot with the PlayStation 3 respectfully. I've no intention of hanging onto the PlayStation 3 if I'm to make room for the PlayStation 4. With all that in mind what do you think? They're great collectibles, but what am I going to do with them?

Message 1 of 19 (754 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
250 posts

Re: Should I sell my video game collection?

[ Edited ]
May 5, 2013

It is not clear if you are talking about digital games or Disc's.

If disc's use a PS2 or something, and sell your PS3.

If digital use a Vita or something and back-up your games to that through your downloads list.

PS1~PS2~PS3~PSP~PS Vita~Dreamcast.
-Killzone Mercenary Beta Tester
Free userbars
Message 2 of 19 (751 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11734 posts

May 5, 2013

I won't be keeping the PlayStation 3. There's no space to keep multiple systems on display plugged in. In fact, I would have to sell the PlayStation 3 just to be able to afford the PlayStation 4 most likely.

Message 3 of 19 (749 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28838 posts

May 5, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

I won't be keeping the PlayStation 3. There's no space to keep multiple systems on display plugged in. In fact, I would have to sell the PlayStation 3 just to be able to afford the PlayStation 4 most likely.

You don't have to rush out to buy it on day one. It's not going anywhere.

See, this is what I mean when I say a lot of so-called "gamers" fall into the GameStop trap. The quick turn around that they offer isn't the only way to buy stuff, and sometimes it actually costs you money.

I know video games are predicated on only having two choices. A or B. Red or Blue. Offense or defence. Good or Evil. However you don't have to allow this to come down to an A or B choice. If you don't have room, then you MAKE room. There's no law in the Great Tenets of Gamer Logic that you're going to violate by refusing to sell off your PS3.

Message 4 of 19 (740 Views)
Last Guardian
11734 posts

May 5, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

GrayGargoyle wrote:

You don't have to rush out to buy it on day one. It's not going anywhere.

See, this is what I mean when I say a lot of so-called "gamers" fall into the GameStop trap. The quick turn around that they offer isn't the only way to buy stuff, and sometimes it actually costs you money.

I know video games are predicated on only having two choices. A or B. Red or Blue. Offense or defence. Good or Evil. However you don't have to allow this to come down to an A or B choice. If you don't have room, then you MAKE room. There's no law in the Great Tenets of Gamer Logic that you're going to violate by refusing to sell off your PS3.

Selling the PlayStation 3 is my only option. Again, I won't be hanging onto the PlayStation 3, or making room for it. I barely had room to squeeze in the Wii alongside the PlayStation 3. Where would a PlayStation 4 fit plugged in when sprawled across limited desk space? Besides, if I am going to purchase the PlayStation 4 (which I have no idea when that will be) I would do so by selling the PlayStation 3 to lessen the blow of whatever impact the PlayStation 4 price might be.

When buying the PlayStation 3 back in the day, it cost me $500 because of GameStop's PlayStation 2 trade-in discount - trade your system and get $100 off the PlayStation 3. Will the same kind of deal fall into play? Will I even get the PlayStation 4 at launch time? These are things I don't know yet.

Message 5 of 19 (736 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15552 posts

May 5, 2013

Not if you still have PS3 games to play, No, don't sell what you need to still play. Besides, we still don't know how BC will work on PS cloud on the PS4. So, it's a good idea to hold on to your PS3 for awhile. That's what I'm going to do.

Multisystem owner. PlayStation owner since 2000. Inaugural PS Plus member:Legendary status. Former PS forum MVP with a launch PS3 & PS4.

Message 6 of 19 (731 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1013 posts

May 5, 2013
The ps4 is going to be able to play ps1 games. It won't play ps2 or 3. I have the Lunar games too. Even being as old as they are, they're still epically good games. I don't play my old ps1 games very much (ff origins, ff chronicals, ff anthology, ff 7 - 9, Evil Zone, Lunar 1 & 2, Tenchu Stealth Assassins, and a couple of others) but I'm a collector, so I won't get rid of any of my games or consoles, regardless of how old it is. I'm still rebuilding my old ps3 game collection, since they were all stolen with my old 80gb b/c ps3. I just got Genji: Days of the Blade in physical format and Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown in digital format (I had vf5 in physical format, but vf5fsd has the full vf5 game with extra content and better net code). I still have to get Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat vs DCU, Soul Calibur 4, Soul Calibur 5, CoDMW 1 - 3 (just for the collection's sake, I probably won't play them again) and a few others.

Personally, I'm keeping my ps3 without a doubt. It won't be simply be collecting dust or sitting in a box since I love to go back and play the old games.
My PSN
Message 7 of 19 (721 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

May 5, 2013

the_ed_85 wrote:
The ps4 is going to be able to play ps1 games. It won't play ps2 or 3. I have the Lunar games too. Even being as old as they are, they're still epically good games. I don't play my old ps1 games very much (ff origins, ff chronicals, ff anthology, ff 7 - 9, Evil Zone, Lunar 1 & 2, Tenchu Stealth Assassins, and a couple of others) but I'm a collector, so I won't get rid of any of my games or consoles, regardless of how old it is. I'm still rebuilding my old ps3 game collection, since they were all stolen with my old 80gb b/c ps3. I just got Genji: Days of the Blade in physical format and Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown in digital format (I had vf5 in physical format, but vf5fsd has the full vf5 game with extra content and better net code). I still have to get Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat vs DCU, Soul Calibur 4, Soul Calibur 5, CoDMW 1 - 3 (just for the collection's sake, I probably won't play them again) and a few others.

Personally, I'm keeping my ps3 without a doubt. It won't be simply be collecting dust or sitting in a box since I love to go back and play the old games.

Well nothing has been cofirmed yet. It can play PS1 games, but the question is, will it play PS1 discs? Also, they have not said wheather or not the PS4 can play PS2 games. We need to wait and see I guess.

Message 8 of 19 (708 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3589 posts

May 5, 2013
I wouldnt sell the entire collection for cheap Smiley Wink
Message 9 of 19 (679 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7190 posts

May 5, 2013

gameflop.jpg

If you love your PS3, don't sell it. You can always find room for another system, and you don't have to buy the PS4 day 1. BUT, you sound like you don't love your PS3 at all, and act as if the only way to fit your PS4 into your rig is to get rid of the PS3, which is quite sad in my opinion. If that's how you feel about the PS3, though, then by all means sell it. As for your game collection, get rid of the games you really don't think are as great as you thought, and save all the great ones (if you ever have kids, or if you do now, maybe down the road let them try them out).

Message 10 of 19 (672 Views)