Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Should I repair my current PS3 slim or buy new PS3 super slim?

Oct 18, 2012

moblesuit75 wrote:

I personally, would always go for a refurb system from Sony, rather than let a third party do repairs that have no guarantee of working in the long run.

As someone else stated, if you can get a refurb for only $20 more than the cost of repair, why not do that.  At least the refurb will be under warranty for a time, in the event the problem repeats itself.  A repair might only keep you going for a little while, and then crap out again.

Just some thoughts.

Moble

A Sony refurb is only given a 90 day warranty, plus you won't get your data back if you didn't back it up. So the OP needs to weigh all the pros and cons having his PS3 repaired, getting a refurb, or buying a new one..

Message 11 of 16 (399 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 18, 2012

Yeah but the refurb from Sony is only guaranteed for 90 days. And the refurb would probably have the same problems down the road because Sony wouldn't put better thermal paste in or anything.

Right now I'm thinking hell with it, I'll just buy the super slim and get a 500 GB HDD and AC III. Got it preordered from Amazon just in case! :smileyhappy: That way it has a new one year warranty and will not have any problems for at least 3 years, hopefully longer.

Message 12 of 16 (398 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4419 posts

Oct 18, 2012

moloman wrote:

Yeah but the refurb from Sony is only guaranteed for 90 days. And the refurb would probably have the same problems down the road because Sony wouldn't put better thermal paste in or anything.

Right now I'm thinking hell with it, I'll just buy the super slim and get a 500 GB HDD and AC III. Got it preordered from Amazon just in case! :smileyhappy: That way it has a new one year warranty and will not have any problems for at least 3 years, hopefully longer.

That is a good solution, if you have the coin.  I am just wondering though, as it was stated, what guarantees do the repair companies have of not losing your backed up data themselves?  I guess there are no guarantees, so you might have found the solution all on your own.

Moble

Message 13 of 16 (395 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 18, 2012

Well EE said you will not lose your data if they service the PS3 unless it is the HDD that is corrupted. Then of course a new one is required. I guess there is a possibility that something could happen and you could lose all your data, but if the choice is have a PS3 that doesn't work or take a chance of losing the data and getting the PS3 fixed, I think it is worth the risk.

Message 14 of 16 (391 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4419 posts

Oct 18, 2012

Good to know.  Thank you.

Moble

Message 15 of 16 (387 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 18, 2012

moblesuit75 wrote:

moloman wrote:

That is a good solution, if you have the coin.  I am just wondering though, as it was stated, what guarantees do the repair companies have of not losing your backed up data themselves?  I guess there are no guarantees, so you might have found the solution all on your own.

Moble

There is a guarentee that Sony will wipe your data, which is why some people would like to avoid that possibility...

Message 16 of 16 (383 Views)
0 Likes