Sep 27 2013
By: Gojet-64 Gaming Beast 2197 posts

Should I get a 3G Vita?

9 replies 355 views Edited Sep 27, 2013

I've been wanting a Vita for a while now. The price drop to $200 really got me interested. However, the 3G+Wifi version has also dropped to $200, the same price as the Wifi-only Vita. (To be exact, I found a 3G Vita bundle for $230 that includes an 8GB memory card and a free game download)

So I'm wondering, now that they are the same cost, is there any reason to get a Wifi-only Vita over a 3G+Wifi Vita?  Or should I just get the 3G Vita? (Even though I probably won't use 3G, but it's there if I change my mind)

Also, I know the 3G Vita has a built-in GPS that the Wifi-only doesn't have. I'm geussing I need a 3G data plan for that to work?

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 1 of 10 (355 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8030 posts

Re: Should I get a 3G Vita?

[ Edited ]
Sep 27, 2013

I don't think there were any advantages to the wifi only, other than the price point (which, according to your post, isn't a factor anymore). If the price really is the same, then I think you'd be better of buying the 3G version. It wouldn't make any difference whether you you use it or not. At least you'll have the option, right?

Asperger's is the leading cause of hate against women. End patriarchy now by donating to the EminentFury Asperger's Research Fund.
Wais_45 is a good guy.
Message 2 of 10 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
83 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 27, 2013

I've been wanting one too ever since I saw the price drop. Reading some of the comments on here makes me believe that they're one in the same. The 3G seems to be the less popular one of the two mainly because the 3G suck on it/make games unplayable(or so I hear).  The only reason to get the 3G is if you plan on getting a plan for it and playing where there is no wifi.

I say go with the bundle since you're getting more bang for your buck. I'm asuming the 3G also has wifi so that would be my pick even though I wouldn't activate the 3G on it.

Message 3 of 10 (336 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8030 posts

Sep 27, 2013

sirfortiscue wrote:
[...]

I say go with the bundle since you're getting more bang for your buck. I'm asuming the 3G also has wifi so that would be my pick even though I wouldn't activate the 3G on it.

I can confirm that it does indeed have wi-fi capability.

Asperger's is the leading cause of hate against women. End patriarchy now by donating to the EminentFury Asperger's Research Fund.
Wais_45 is a good guy.
Message 4 of 10 (333 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7400 posts

Sep 28, 2013

Gojet-64 wrote:

I've been wanting a Vita for a while now. The price drop to $200 really got me interested. However, the 3G+Wifi version has also dropped to $200, the same price as the Wifi-only Vita. (To be exact, I found a 3G Vita bundle for $230 that includes an 8GB memory card and a free game download)

So I'm wondering, now that they are the same cost, is there any reason to get a Wifi-only Vita over a 3G+Wifi Vita?  Or should I just get the 3G Vita? (Even though I probably won't use 3G, but it's there if I change my mind)

Also, I know the 3G Vita has a built-in GPS that the Wifi-only doesn't have. I'm geussing I need a 3G data plan for that to work?

Since both versions cost the same i would go for the 3G/wifi one even though i dont think you will ever use the 3G but  hey you never know, i activated 3G for a month just to see what it was like to have it and while is cool to be able to connect to your psn friends at all times i dont think is enough to keep paying monthly for the service, if we could only play online using 3G/4G then that would be totally different. 

Message 5 of 10 (309 Views)
Lombax Warrior
128 posts

Sep 28, 2013

I have owned both versions and there is no difference other than the obvious 3g capabilities. My 3g bundle was 200 and came with a 8 gb memory card, and could only get the free game if I activated the 3g. Never have any intention on activating it, but the option is always nice i guess.

Message 6 of 10 (301 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4915 posts

Sep 28, 2013

I don't understand why they didn't make a 4G model instead. 3G is much too slow to perform many online tasks on the PS Vita.

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
210+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 7 of 10 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

Sep 28, 2013

As the similar price states for both models, it doesn't matter which one you get. 3G is irrelevant on the PS Vita and Wi-Fi is all that's needed.

Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 8 of 10 (278 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3911 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2013

I got a vita when they first droped to $199 and got both 3G+Wifi. I don't use 3G but at the same cost why not. I would suggest looking around for a bundle with a game if your can still find one. They also droped to $199. Walmart has the Walking Dead 3G+Wifi bundle for $199 (just looked)

Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
It's a better idea to buy games for your PS4
Than to buy a New Console for your PS4
Message 9 of 10 (252 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1061 posts

Sep 28, 2013
i love my day one 3G version and for the guy who said the 3G is too slow, dude it goes up to hspa+ speeds which is, err wellyou go look it up yourseld. its almost 4G (3.5G actually).

Im on my Vita nowand i use my 3G and Skype as my cellphone on the street/no issue.

Th 3G feels more solid too being ithas true GPS vs trianglation of cell towers.

GET THE 3G.
Message 10 of 10 (241 Views)
0 Likes