Aug 11 2013
By: Amnalehu Fender Bender 3686 posts

Shooters Vs. Drivers

4 replies 114 views Edited Aug 11, 2013

Like it or not, first-person shooters are the kings of this current generation and arguably are what helped the 360 keep pace with the PS3. I think one reason we saw the FPS genre gain so much popularity was because of advances and technology that allowed for a more immersive experience and of course the consoles were very easy to get connected to the internet. But probably the main reason was the fact that any player could come into an online game and not have to be THE best player to have a fun experience. With online shooters, even the casual shooter player (like me) can join up with a group, pick a role to play and level up without getting a single kill. Several times I have been the MVP of a match full of very experienced players without ever notching a single kill! And let's not forget the social interactions that are almost unique to FPS/TPS. Let's face it, we are social beings and we like to talk!

I would argue that during the last generation (PS2/XB) driving games were the ruling class. Everyone I knew that had a PS2 had either Need for Speed or Gran Turismo. But when driving games jumped over to the the current gen hardware, I think they lacked what the FPS could offer the players. Losing is not as fun as winning in most cases and with the current gen of driving games there could be only one winner as opposed to being part of a winning team in FPS/TPS games. 

So where do we go from here? It seems that the dirving game developes have learned a lesson from shooters offering players a chance to gain XP and points, adding player challenges during races; all be it a little too late. From what I have seen, the shooter genre seems to be offering more of the same but in a prettier package. Destiny seems to be leading the charge to attempt to do something truly innovative with the genre while the COD series seems to be stuck in a time warp. From what I have seen from the next gen. driving games there is one game that stands out but does not seem to be getting a lot of attention: DRIVE CLUB.  Drive Club sounds like it is everything that the driving genre needs. The game looks amazing and finally offers players a lot of what gamers a lot of what made FPS games so popular. Will it be enough to help driving games return to the top spot or will the next generation see a totally new genre take over?

Message 1 of 5 (114 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
824 posts

Re: Shooters Vs. Drivers

Aug 11, 2013

I think open world games will be the major games of the new generation but that is just my opinion.

Message 2 of 5 (110 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Aug 11, 2013
Open world games that incorporate First/Over the Shoulder Third person and driving is where we are heading.
Dalphie - The One and Only!
Check out this brand new community www.playstationboards.com
Message 3 of 5 (105 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28988 posts

Aug 11, 2013

Never assume anything. It's easy to say "Oh yeah, open world games will be all the rage", and people did say the last generation, and then Halo came a long. The only thing we know is that we don't know.

Message 4 of 5 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4720 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 11, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Never assume anything. It's easy to say "Oh yeah, open world games will be all the rage", and people did say the last generation, and then Halo came a long. The only thing we know is that we don't know.

"The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing" Bill S. Preston, Esq.

Message 5 of 5 (76 Views)