Sep 09 2012
By: coolconman First Son 2 posts

Selecting HDMI output keeps bringing me back to the Select Language screen.

3 replies 92 views Edited Sep 9, 2012

Hi,

Brand new PS3, just out of the box.  I connect it to my receiver via an HDMI cable (and only an HDMI cable).  When I start it up, it asks me to select a language - I pick english.  Then it says "and HDMI device was detected, do you want to use this for output of audio and video?"  I select Yes.  The screen goes black then comes back on, and I am back at the select a language screen.  If I go through it again, the same thing happens.

How can I get around this?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 4 (92 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29192 posts

Re: Selecting HDMI output keeps bringing me back to the Select Language screen.

Sep 9, 2012

coolconman wrote:

Hi,

Brand new PS3, just out of the box.  I connect it to my receiver via an HDMI cable (and only an HDMI cable).  When I start it up, it asks me to select a language - I pick english.  Then it says "and HDMI device was detected, do you want to use this for output of audio and video?"  I select Yes.  The screen goes black then comes back on, and I am back at the select a language screen.  If I go through it again, the same thing happens.

How can I get around this?  Thanks.

Connect your PS3 directly to your television. 

Message 2 of 4 (91 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Sep 10, 2012

That did indeed work.  Many thanks.  Does this mean that the PS3 is never going ot work with a receiver?  Is this common?  Seems weird (since all other devices do).

Message 3 of 4 (72 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29192 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 10, 2012

There are instructions on how to set up your PS3 with an audio device. I know that there's an aversion to reading the owner's manual, or any offiicial information for that matter, but check page 20 of your owner's manual. Or if you prefer to only get your information online, here;

http://www.playstation.com/manual/pdf/CECH-2501B-3.30_1.pdf

Message 4 of 4 (70 Views)
0 Likes