Oct 27 2012
By: TWilson951 Splicer 51 posts

Security Apps

9 replies 158 views Edited Oct 27, 2012

There should be more, better security apps for the vita running in the background

Like for instance Vipre Internet Security GFI

Message 1 of 10 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1387 posts

Re: Security Apps

Oct 27, 2012

Um. No. Vita doesn't need it. Never will.

Message 2 of 10 (142 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12791 posts

Oct 28, 2012
What would be the point? PSN already requires you to reenter your password when adding funds. So unless the person who steals/finds your vita also happens to be a hacker, they'll only have access to the games you've already downloaded.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 10 (116 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 28, 2012

This guy is talking about for Viruses or something like that right?

I have to agree with the others here, I am not too worried about the PS Vita ever having to worry about being affected heavily by any type of virus / malware / trojans ect.

I guess technically anything is possible givin enough time but not too many systems have ever had problems with Viruses so to say in the way they would actually need a Virus protection program on them.

Anything that is on PSN has to be certified by Sony themselves, So I am sure they could easily tell if someone was trying to put up a program on their mobile games section or anywhere that had any type of a virus in it.

IOS and Android don't really work the same and not every app available to them is certified and checked before hand by Apple or Google like Sony does.

Message 4 of 10 (112 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12791 posts

Oct 28, 2012
Well he mentioned vipre in the other thread as a way of deleting all things off a nexus 7 if it were stolen.

Which wouldn't do much on a vita
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 10 (108 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 28, 2012

glaciusx25 wrote:
Well he mentioned vipre in the other thread as a way of deleting all things off a nexus 7 if it were stolen.

Which wouldn't do much on a vita

Oh didn't see that. Yea those type of programs aren't going help in that type of situation not for the Vita, probably just best he sets a lock screen and prays no one ever figures it out then you won't need to worry about people accessing your device even if it does get stolen.

Although I know how to easily get around any lock, not sure most do though. Isn't hard to figure out but yea that is your only option really.

Message 6 of 10 (106 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

Nov 1, 2012

I think they should follow apples step by giving you two option 1 is the easy 4 digital code and the other will include how many different letters and number you want

Message 7 of 10 (86 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
161 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 1, 2012

These redundant threads are popping up like wildfire...

Look, the Vita already has security measures in place. There's no point in adding an application, which would in turn use up resources that the Vita will require for many other things like... oh I don't know... gaming?

And security for what..? The Vita is never consistently connected to the Internet like the PS3 is.

Message 8 of 10 (78 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
834 posts

Nov 1, 2012

yapyap898 wrote:

These redundant threads are popping up like wildfire...

Look, the Vita already has security measures in place. There's no point in adding an application, which would in turn use up resources that the Vita will require for many other things like... oh I don't know... gaming?

And security for what..? The Vita is never consistently connected to the Internet like the PS3 is.

Wait wait, what? Do some people have a clue?

So, because the Vita's not conistantly connected to the internet it can't get a virus? Did anybody stop to think that because the Vita has a browser that it is possible to open it up to viruses?

The only reason the PS3 and Vita aren't in a hurtful place because of viruses is simply, nobody's bothering to code viruses specifically for them or its so rare the chances of getting a virus on the devices are extremely low. As most know devices like the PS3 & Vita aren't coded like a Windows based PC, thus why they can't pick up the same viruses a PC can.

PS3 & Vita already have some type of security in them. Trend Micro Web Security is available for both Vita & PS3 via the browser. You think they'd give you the option to have web security in place if viruses really couldn't ever happen on the devices?

Message 9 of 10 (59 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9542 posts

Nov 1, 2012

TheUndertaker85 wrote:

Did anybody stop to think that because the Vita has a browser that it is possible to open it up to viruses?

A virus would need a way to be executed (i.e. a .exe or .bat file in Windows; a .dmg or .bin file for Mac) before it could put the device in harms way.  I believe the browser on the Vita is a closed app, anyway.  This is why it doesn't open the youtube app when you click a link to a youtube video.  

Nothing you do on the Vita's browser can affect anything else on the Vita in any way (it has very limited Java/Javascript/HTML5 capabilities and no Flash support at all).  The only exception to this is when you connect to a public wifi hotspot that requires a browser to complete the connection (usually just agreeing to terms of use and logging in).

Message 10 of 10 (46 Views)
0 Likes