VP of Gaming
36964 posts

Re: SONY you really need to buy the right to Crash Bandicoot and Spyro and bring them to PS4

Feb 1, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

The reason why Sony hasn't bought the rights back to Crash;

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/11/22/activision-still-owns-crash-bandicoot.aspx

that article doesnt say why sony isnt buying or trying to buy crash back

it just says that activision took crash off their site ditched it and dont even know what to make of it and are "exploring" new ideas

If the rights to Crash were up for sale, then SOMEONE would have bought them by now.

It takes more than "they should make Game X, because they just should" to motivate a game company to revisit a series. It has to be profitiable for them to do so. Maybe in the world of bleak military shooters it's just not the right time for another Crash game.

if sony really wanted to buy crash they would give them an offer they cant refuse

Message 21 of 29 (147 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28818 posts

Re: SONY you really need to buy the right to Crash Bandicoot and Spyro and bring them to PS4

[ Edited ]
Feb 1, 2014

For the money they would have to spend to get the rights, someone has most likely deemed it not with the investment.

Have you noticed we haven't seen a new Jak game either? Sony owns the rights to that. There's a reason, and it's because platformers don't sell like they used to. In the world of the overly serious. "I can't be caught dead playing a platformer or else I'd lose the respect of my gamer brethren", a game with no guns, and more colors than grey, dark grey and black, is a tough sell. So they sit on the series until they come back around at some point. I know you're probably going to say "I totally would totally buy totally a totally new totally Jak totally and totally Crash totally game... totally", but keep in mind that there's now people who have no memory of Jak nor Crash, and those names are totally meaningless to them.

Message 22 of 29 (141 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
36964 posts

Feb 1, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

For the money they would have to spend to get the rights, someone has most likely deemed it not with the investment.

Have you noticed we haven't seen a new Jak game either? Sony owns the rights to that. There's a reason, and it's because platformers don't sell like they used to. In the world of the overly serious. "I can't be caught dead playing a platformer or else I'd lose the respect of my gamer brethren", a game with no guns, and more colors than grey, dark grey and black, is a tough sell. So they sit on the series until they come back around at some point. I know you're probably going to say "I totally would totally buy totally a totally new totally Jak totally and totally Crash totally game... totally", but keep in mind that there's now people who have no memory of Jak nor Crash, and those names are totally meaningless to them.

so people are embarrassed to play crash or jak?

what about mario or donkey kong?

i still play those on my wii u

and im 23

what does that make me am i a sissy or something?

thats why nintendo is gona be the best

they are still making great mario and donkey kong games and others

Message 23 of 29 (136 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6002 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 1, 2014

There are things behind closed doors that the general customer/gamer like ourselves will never know about, even More so the last minute sometimes. Activision can say all day they own Crash Bandicoot, Sony can be oblivious to the fact that multiple people saw this as well.

crash sony playstation teaser

You can't unsee that from Sony's commercial but what either two companies don't have to do... is tell you they struck a deal. They don't, surprises happen all the time in the game industry and companies have to play their cards right in order to bring excitement and intrigue from those who buy their products.

Message 24 of 29 (130 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28818 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 1, 2014

The problem that theory is that both are publically traded companies, and that's a violation of SEC laws. Leaking inside information can be interpreted as insider trading. And no, it's not "different because it's video games".

I know that in the Twitter age we're used to having every bit of information at our fingertips, and when we don't hear anything people start saying "Why aren't they saying anything? WHY AREN'T THEY SAYING ANYTHING?!?! IF THEY CARED THEY SAY SOMETHING!", and then when nothing surfaces some will just make up their own version of the story. However there are legal reasons as to what they can and can't reveal. We'll have to wait and see for what develops, however we have to wait with tempered expectations.

Message 25 of 29 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
39 posts

Feb 1, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Honestly I'd be more interested in seeing Naughty Dog taking a crack at a new Syphon Filter game.

yes

Message 26 of 29 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2571 posts

Feb 1, 2014

GamerJon92 wrote:

if Naughty dog could make a Crash reboot and give Spyro to insomniac so they can give R&C a break it would be the best thing to happen to PS4 

That sounds like a plan.  Let's make this happen.  I loved the Crash Bandicoot games back when they were exclusive to Sony.  Once they went multiplatform they became junk.

Play-Asia.com - Buy Games & Codes for PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U and PC / Mac.
Message 27 of 29 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3317 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 1, 2014

Brink-2-Chaos wrote:

Isnt skylanders Technqily a spyro game?

That depends on your definition of a Spyro game. A game where Spyro is simply playable, or a game with Spyro as the main character?

Twitter: @XenokingX
Message 28 of 29 (195 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8661 posts

Feb 1, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

The reason why Sony hasn't bought the rights back to Crash;

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/11/22/activision-still-owns-crash-bandicoot.aspx

that article doesnt say why sony isnt buying or trying to buy crash back

it just says that activision took crash off their site ditched it and dont even know what to make of it and are "exploring" new ideas

If the rights to Crash were up for sale, then SOMEONE would have bought them by now.

It takes more than "they should make Game X, because they just should" to motivate a game company to revisit a series. It has to be profitiable for them to do so. Maybe in the world of bleak military shooters it's just not the right time for another Crash game.

To be honest it could easily be profitable if they did it right. The gaming landscape maybe full of bleak military shooters but it is also seeing a rise in smaller Indie games becoming much more popular, a lot of them being genres like Horror and Platforming which were pretty much thought to be dead during the last generation. It just proves that there is a market for smaller, unique, games like that.

If Crash got made as a smaller budget PSN games, go back to the old style of challenging gameplay, it would sell. I mean just look at Rayman. That was a Platformer which was far less popular than Crash, and had a lot more damage done to it and Ubisoft managed to bring that back, making it into something worth while because they took it back to its roots. The same could easily be done with Crash.

Of course it doesn't really matter if Sony, or anyone, has a way to make Crash work, it is all down to Activision and after all the talk recently about people wanting Crash I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to part with the rights any time soon. Smiley Mad

Message 29 of 29 (183 Views)
0 Likes