Aug 04 2012
By: S_L_I_C_K Ghost of Sparta 16957 posts

SOCOM, the smash hit that NOBODY heard of or cared about.

22 replies 289 views Edited Aug 4, 2012

SOCOM was my favorite game and NOBODY ever heard of it.  unless you were a SOCOM player the word SOCOM meant nothing to you.  if you mentioned the name call of duty or grand theft auto or final fantasy chances are everyone within earshot of you knew what you were talking about, if you mentioned the name SOCOM? At most you would get  would be "huh? What's that? Never heard of it, is it any good?"

if you were a SOCOM player it was like you were in some private club, if you say the words "red room"  or "suicide alley" or "the hotel" every SOCOM player would know the exact location you are referring to.  it was a private club with unwritten rules that 90% of the people abided by. No nube tubes, no iw80,  and no soft spotting or glitching of any kind.  you do and you're gone, voted out, kicked to the curb. perfect strangers would stick together and do whatever was necessary to police the game, on more than one occasion I sat in a full lobby where nobody would green up because there was a cheater in the room, the Entire room  would sit there for as long as it took to wait out a cheater and would not ready up until he left the room. 

it was a great game with a strong community.  problem was it was left for dead, it was forgotten about.  Sony was cheap with the advertising and the developer got lazy.  what could have been a great franchise was whittled away to nothing, the fans were ignored for years, polls were taken and either ignored or the developers would do the exact opposite of the poll results out of spite it seemed.  the SOCOM polls are among the most popular on the ps blogshare but yet they are ignored, it seems as though everyone including Sony themselves has it out to kill SOCOM.  what could have been the most popular game ended up being the least known about and least respected franchise.

our private club would have loved to of expanded and grown but instead it got destroyed by laziness and greed.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 23 (289 Views)
Splicer
45 posts

Re: SOCOM, the smash hit that NOBODY heard of or cared about.

Aug 4, 2012
Yeah. I think SOCOM was my second shooter.
Message 2 of 23 (281 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1628 posts

Aug 4, 2012

Yeah. Nobody. Not even the people in the 10 SOCOM threads below this one.

Message 3 of 23 (270 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9232 posts

Aug 5, 2012

Completely under-rated and under-supported.

Message 4 of 23 (222 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Aug 5, 2012
back in the day i stopped seeing friends over socom 2, next thing i knew i got 3 of them on the game! imagine if it was created and advertised properly in todays world?

it would be cooler than call of duty to play, because it would be more rewarding to be good at it... actually takes some e-skill.
Message 5 of 23 (218 Views)
Fender Bender
3959 posts

Aug 5, 2012
g^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Message 6 of 23 (212 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1628 posts

Aug 5, 2012

Something fishy is going on here. All you guys must be from some clan from SOCOM 2, thinking that you can come in here and get your game HD re-released. I hate to tell you that this isn't a contest for that, clearly from the fact that they said "any generation of Playstation" which means PS3 also, so I'm pretty sure they aren't going to HD remake a PS3 game.

So, no matter how many accounts you guys make, you are wasting your time.

Message 7 of 23 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9691 posts

Aug 5, 2012

Arliman wrote:

Something fishy is going on here. All you guys must be from some clan from SOCOM 2, thinking that you can come in here and get your game HD re-released. I hate to tell you that this isn't a contest for that, clearly from the fact that they said "any generation of Playstation" which means PS3 also, so I'm pretty sure they aren't going to HD remake a PS3 game.

We're not from one clan. We're just a fraction of the SOCOM community, that's all.

Message 8 of 23 (203 Views)
Highlighted
Ghost of Sparta
16957 posts

Aug 5, 2012

Arliman wrote:

great, so stop wasting your time by commenting on the socom posts.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 23 (198 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5102 posts

Aug 5, 2012

Arliman wrote:

You sir are an idiot, SOCOM is still a very popular game and It's fanbase has been waiting for a proper SOCOM to play for years.  Nothing fishy  going on, it's just the fanbase of one of Sony's most popular games ever making their presence known.

And the results are in, the winner of Sonys #20YearsOf Play poll is...
"Winner: SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals (24.74%)"​

It's a great day to be a SOCOM fan!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome job SOCOM fans, Worldwide!
Message 10 of 23 (194 Views)