Reply
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16918 posts
 

Re: SOCOM: Confrontation's Servers are Now Closed

Jan 30, 2014

socom69 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

socom69 wrote:

MaxGreen wrote:
Im glad both socom and mag have been shut down. R.i.p. to bad it wasent sooner. Neither have been relevant in years. Move on

Just because they weren't relevant to you doesn't mean they weren't relevant to others. COD hasn't been relevant since 4 to me, but it's central to millions.


There in lies the rub..... COD IS in fact relevant, whether it is to you or not because it is a very successful franchise... it brings in BILLIONS to the publisher and developer. <---Applying this reasoning, Crash and Spyro games don't generate any money anymore like they used to, so using your profit model to determine relevancy, would you say they're irrelevant as a whole?
And where are THOSE games? Irrelevant, because all of those games actually SOLD VERY WELL before having their respective licenses bought by Activision.... and they only used Spyro for the Skylander's games with the intention of using Crash for it as well, but nothing has happened. Skylanders actually sells well, because its a kids game... and there are A LOT of kids out there. Socom initially sold well. And now it hasn't.

Socom was popular on the PS2 days, yes. But ever since the PS3 games came out, its been getting worse and worse and has not been well received.
And I thoroughly enjoyed playing Socom 2 online especially on my PS2. And bought the first game to come to PS3 thinking it was going to be a similar experience. Sadly, it was not, and I was very disappointed. <---God shut up. You sound just like one of those dumb casual hip-hop listeners that say hip-hop/rap was good when pac and big were around, and it died after. There's just so many of you and I hate all of you because you're all equally annoying."I enjoyed playing the game that everyone else says they loved!!!"
Speak for yourself..... Hipster.
I am not a glutton for punishment just for the sake of the "love of the game".... no. I know when to call it quits. Its also the EXACT reason why the series has been going downhill. Its ok to be blind to it, because you're so involved with it. But Take it from someone with a fresher set of eyes on the matter. So honestly, get a grip and try not to act like some Socom elistist simply because you have so much time invested vs myself. You're pretentious enough as it is.

 

But that doesn't mean you should simply shut out any other shooters. Mix it up, change play styles. Destiny is coming this fall, with a Beta in a few months. Thats an MMOFPS/RPG. Might be right up your alley.
Just because you enjoyed the style of Socom, being a 3rd person shooter, doesn't mean you have to close off to the alternative.
You might just be surprised. <---I literally only even care about Destiny because it's by Bungie. I want to play the campaign and that's it. The online reminds me of Borderlands and if I wanted to play Borderlands I'd just play it, which I don't. COD is gamely broken garbage. BF now plays like COD, save for the gamebreaking mechanics of the latter; it stopped being BF at Bad Company 2 and turned into a kill-based "Camp everywhere, especially on Conquest" shootem-up. As for changing play styles, the shooters I exposed myself to on ps3 were as follows: BF Bad Company 2, BF3, COD4-MW3 (own 4, but played the rest), KZ 2 & 3, Unreal Tournament 3, Rage, Resistance 1-3, MoH 1 & 2, R6V 1 & 2, The Orange Box, The Chronicles of Riddick, Borderlands 1 (rented) & 2, The Darkness (rented), Deus Ex, Warhawk, Starhawk, Bioshock 2 (rented), and an unplayed Bioshock Infinite (ps+). I play a very wide variety, but have stuck with very few for extended periods of time online; namely KZ2, COD4, BFBC2 (which I also bought on pc), R6V 1/2 (I count them as the same), Warhawk, and UT3. I know what I like and am willing to keep in my system, and absolutely nothing in the foreseeable future, outside of The Division and H-Hour, will be worth my time.


 


 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 41 of 48 (382 Views)
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
29413 posts
 

Re: SOCOM: Confrontation's Servers are Now Closed

Jan 30, 2014

jimmy_falcone wrote:
Spoiler
need a pay for play servers, ill gladly subscribe. have a giant void to fill
Spoiler
 
Spoiler
 
Spoiler
 

 


They have gotten away from the subscription model. And for the amount of actual players there are, it wouldn't be cost effective to offer a subscription service.

 

I don't understand why is it out of the question to find another game? No one is saying you can't like SOCOM if you play something else, and one doesn't preclude the other. Check out Spec Ops: The Line.

Message 42 of 48 (375 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 07/15/2008
Offline
1729 posts
 

Re: SOCOM: Confrontation's Servers are Now Closed

Jan 30, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

socom69 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

socom69 wrote:

 More people were on SC than Killzone Shadow Fall.

Based off of what numbers?

 

Or is it because of the announcement that the severs were getting shut-down, that prompted many fans of the series to play it for the very last time until its gone for good?

The numbers of players on Shadowfall are not cumulative, when displayed at the Multiplayer menu screen to select. They are not a total tally of ALL players online.

The numbers could very well be in the tens of thousands and the only people who'd know is Guerilla. Im sure if you ask nicely about the average number of players daily, they'd be happy to divulge.


(Why would I be counting the people who are logged onto psn and have the game running on the home screen? Think about how dumb you sound. Get a grip dude, seriously.)

 

Based off of the total count of players obviously (the amount of players in each server currently playing in matches). Clearly you didn't play SC so I'll help you out. Right now there are 1658 players currently playing KZSF online.

 

Classic Warzone: 284

Player Team Deathmatch: 818

24 Player Warzone: 359

Extended Warzone: 161

2v2 Team Deathmatch: 28

Where's the Bacon?: 8

 

The average day of socom had more players than that, if not around the same. A game that came out in 2008 and received subpar attention because it was initially riddled with serious server problems versus a game that just came out, was acclaimed, and pilot launch exclusive for the system. No announcement prompted anyone to play that wasn't already playing before. It had a consistent online attendance and had you played it since 2008 you'd know that.


They may be playing the game, but they are NOT BUYING the game. The game has to generate REVENUE in order to remain viable. If players aren't buying the game and downloads, then you're losing money on it, and you can only afford to be generous for so long. I know a lot of people think "this is different because it's video games". however the industry is a FOR PROFIT venture.

 

It's been six months since they announced the servers were being shut down. You've had plenty of time to get your last licks in, and more importantly (and I know this is an abhorrant thought to many of the so-called "vets" ), you've had plenty of time to find another game. If you haven't prepared, then what can I tell you. They didn't even have to keep the servers up as long as they did.


People aren't buying Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 and the server for that game is still running. Similar to SC, it only ever had 1 DLC; which was free.

 

And I know there's been plenty of time to prepare, but there just hasn't been another game. I can get ready for the inevitable all I want, but that won't make The Division or H-Hour arrive any faster. They're both a year off. I can't even venture off into another genre for something to play because one of the games I got ps4 in the first place for that was suppose to be a launch title, Driveclub, got pushed back.

"While we're being honest, might I suggest something.

Please put your trophy profile as private, otherwise I might have believed you own a PS4 (thanks for the fake pic though)."


Message 43 of 48 (374 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 07/15/2008
Offline
1729 posts
 

Re: SOCOM: Confrontation's Servers are Now Closed

Jan 30, 2014

gR3yGh051 wrote:

socom69 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

socom69 wrote:

MaxGreen wrote:
Im glad both socom and mag have been shut down. R.i.p. to bad it wasent sooner. Neither have been relevant in years. Move on

Just because they weren't relevant to you doesn't mean they weren't relevant to others. COD hasn't been relevant since 4 to me, but it's central to millions.


There in lies the rub..... COD IS in fact relevant, whether it is to you or not because it is a very successful franchise... it brings in BILLIONS to the publisher and developer. <---Applying this reasoning, Crash and Spyro games don't generate any money anymore like they used to, so using your profit model to determine relevancy, would you say they're irrelevant as a whole?
And where are THOSE games? Irrelevant, because all of those games actually SOLD VERY WELL before having their respective licenses bought by Activision.... and they only used Spyro for the Skylander's games with the intention of using Crash for it as well, but nothing has happened. Skylanders actually sells well, because its a kids game... and there are A LOT of kids out there. Socom initially sold well. And now it hasn't.

Socom was popular on the PS2 days, yes. But ever since the PS3 games came out, its been getting worse and worse and has not been well received.
And I thoroughly enjoyed playing Socom 2 online especially on my PS2. And bought the first game to come to PS3 thinking it was going to be a similar experience. Sadly, it was not, and I was very disappointed. <---God shut up. You sound just like one of those dumb casual hip-hop listeners that say hip-hop/rap was good when pac and big were around, and it died after. There's just so many of you and I hate all of you because you're all equally annoying."I enjoyed playing the game that everyone else says they loved!!!"
Speak for yourself..... Hipster.
I am not a glutton for punishment just for the sake of the "love of the game".... no. I know when to call it quits. Its also the EXACT reason why the series has been going downhill. Its ok to be blind to it, because you're so involved with it. But Take it from someone with a fresher set of eyes on the matter. So honestly, get a grip and try not to act like some Socom elistist simply because you have so much time invested vs myself. You're pretentious enough as it is.

 

But that doesn't mean you should simply shut out any other shooters. Mix it up, change play styles. Destiny is coming this fall, with a Beta in a few months. Thats an MMOFPS/RPG. Might be right up your alley.
Just because you enjoyed the style of Socom, being a 3rd person shooter, doesn't mean you have to close off to the alternative.
You might just be surprised. <---I literally only even care about Destiny because it's by Bungie. I want to play the campaign and that's it. The online reminds me of Borderlands and if I wanted to play Borderlands I'd just play it, which I don't. COD is gamely broken garbage. BF now plays like COD, save for the gamebreaking mechanics of the latter; it stopped being BF at Bad Company 2 and turned into a kill-based "Camp everywhere, especially on Conquest" shootem-up. As for changing play styles, the shooters I exposed myself to on ps3 were as follows: BF Bad Company 2, BF3, COD4-MW3 (own 4, but played the rest), KZ 2 & 3, Unreal Tournament 3, Rage, Resistance 1-3, MoH 1 & 2, R6V 1 & 2, The Orange Box, The Chronicles of Riddick, Borderlands 1 (rented) & 2, The Darkness (rented), Deus Ex, Warhawk, Starhawk, Bioshock 2 (rented), and an unplayed Bioshock Infinite (ps+). I play a very wide variety, but have stuck with very few for extended periods of time online; namely KZ2, COD4, BFBC2 (which I also bought on pc), R6V 1/2 (I count them as the same), Warhawk, and UT3. I know what I like and am willing to keep in my system, and absolutely nothing in the foreseeable future, outside of The Division and H-Hour, will be worth my time.


 


 


SC has sold just as well as the average Skylander's game.......

 

You're full of hot air dude. You using Socom 2 as a point of reference is just like every single casual person that regurgitates big and pac when asked if they to hip--hop/rap: "Yea I listen to it, my favorites are biggy and 2 pac. It hasn't been the same since". Word for word.  Aside from the extensive server problems, which were in fact addressed in a later patch, SC was very much a true socom game; albeit a little slower. S4 was COD 3rd person mode, but SC was pure socom.

"While we're being honest, might I suggest something.

Please put your trophy profile as private, otherwise I might have believed you own a PS4 (thanks for the fake pic though)."


Message 44 of 48 (359 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 09/08/2011
Offline
3 posts
 

Re: SOCOM: Confrontation's Servers are Now Closed

Dec 15, 2014
Can't beleive ppl still try selling it in eBay or some game shops at that
Message 45 of 48 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 01/15/2009
Offline
3069 posts
 

Re: SOCOM: Confrontation's Servers are Now Closed

Dec 15, 2014

andy5guns wrote:
Can't beleive ppl still try selling it in eBay or some game shops at that

Really? Couldn't a retailer be sued for selling a game that no longer functions considering it was online only?

Message 46 of 48 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/05/2006
Online
7408 posts
 

Re: SOCOM: Confrontation's Servers are Now Closed

Dec 15, 2014

murphdawg1 wrote:

andy5guns wrote:
Can't beleive ppl still try selling it in eBay or some game shops at that

Really? Couldn't a retailer be sued for selling a game that no longer functions considering it was online only?


Nope The Box states "online services" can be canceled at any time...

 

 

 



SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester
I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to the free youtube storage

 View forum in Full Desktop Power or Mobile Mode.
Message 47 of 48 (132 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator (Retired)
Registered: 09/10/2014
Offline
554 posts
 

Re: SOCOM: Confrontation's Servers are Now Closed

Dec 15, 2014

Please make sure the thread is active before posting. This thread will now be locked, thanks!

Message 48 of 48 (119 Views)