Sackboy
499 posts

Re: Re:

Jul 22, 2013

gon-freaks wrote:

SOCOM 4 servers shutting down 28 Jan 2014

SNq07.gif.

Pro tip: Socom series is dead since Socom 3 game.

Gaze upon one of the causes of this shutdown, a total lack of support.  Since 3?  How ironic, considering 3 could be considered the ps2 equivalent of Socom 4.  There was nothing about 3 that could have been considered an improvement to the series, and yet people supported it.  Unfortunately, I have to number myself among that crowd, simply because I WANTED it to be as successful as 2 was.  But it wasn't it was as guilty as 4 was of not being a Socom game.  Call it Halo, call it Battlefield 2, but if you call it Socom, you better do the same with 4. 

I am very sorry to hear about MAG going down, and even Confrontation a little, though I consider that game to be much like a transsexual.  It's the hot chick that looks like it's two oldest sisters, and then you find out that it is actually their brother.  Nonetheless, as a online only title, this is just wrong.  I have had a few memorable moments with it, but when I heard the news, I ran to the game store and traded it off before it lost anymore of what little value it had.  I think it had a lot of potential, but the general lack of brotherhood and cordiality (amongst many of it's drawbacks) that marked previous Socom titles doomed it to forever have peak times that were laughable at best.  Quite the shame, really.

As far as I am concerned though, Sony just pulled the trigger on the gun it put in it's mouth.  No ps4 for me, no support for a company that will not support the titles that I like.  Sony, not everything needs a CoD in its name to be played and loved.  I hope Sony monumentally screws up and tanks their future, just so I can laugh my butt off at them.  As a past, very loyal customer of Sony and the PS1, PS2 (best system ever), and the PS3, I refuse to support them or their products anymore.  Done.  I suggest that those who were loyal Socom supporters do exactly the same thing.  This, of course, includes H-Hour.

Unacceptable.

--- If Socom fans cannot support a Socom game, why should they ever support a non-Socom game? ---
Message 21 of 29 (742 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3069 posts

Jul 22, 2013

GenSpall wrote:

gon-freaks wrote:

SOCOM 4 servers shutting down 28 Jan 2014

SNq07.gif.

Pro tip: Socom series is dead since Socom 3 game.

Gaze upon one of the causes of this shutdown, a total lack of support.  Since 3?  How ironic, considering 3 could be considered the ps2 equivalent of Socom 4.  There was nothing about 3 that could have been considered an improvement to the series, and yet people supported it.  Unfortunately, I have to number myself among that crowd, simply because I WANTED it to be as successful as 2 was.  But it wasn't it was as guilty as 4 was of not being a Socom game.  Call it Halo, call it Battlefield 2, but if you call it Socom, you better do the same with 4. 

I am very sorry to hear about MAG going down, and even Confrontation a little, though I consider that game to be much like a transsexual.  It's the hot chick that looks like it's two oldest sisters, and then you find out that it is actually their brother.  Nonetheless, as a online only title, this is just wrong.  I have had a few memorable moments with it, but when I heard the news, I ran to the game store and traded it off before it lost anymore of what little value it had.  I think it had a lot of potential, but the general lack of brotherhood and cordiality (amongst many of it's drawbacks) that marked previous Socom titles doomed it to forever have peak times that were laughable at best.  Quite the shame, really.

As far as I am concerned though, Sony just pulled the trigger on the gun it put in it's mouth.  No ps4 for me, no support for a company that will not support the titles that I like.  Sony, not everything needs a CoD in its name to be played and loved.  I hope Sony monumentally screws up and tanks their future, just so I can laugh my butt off at them.  As a past, very loyal customer of Sony and the PS1, PS2 (best system ever), and the PS3, I refuse to support them or their products anymore.  Done.  I suggest that those who were loyal Socom supporters do exactly the same thing.  This, of course, includes H-Hour.

Unacceptable.

Confrontation will be 5 years old this October so you can't really say that the game wasn't supported. As for Socom 4, terrible game to begin with and the numbers must not be there to justify keeping the game online. If Socom was the only thing you relied on for your gaming well you might want to start looking at other games.

Message 22 of 29 (734 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Dec 28, 2013

Source

In light of the policies for 2014 on some game's Online modes why don't they if possible switch the servers over to community funded/maintained which would be a viable way to keeping them alive rather than shutting them down. Putting a patch out on each game telling players that "multiplayer will end by (date) if the community doesn't fund their own servers". I thank Sony for allowing a great game selection, but they'll lose revenue from those games out there that specifically state that there is online multiplayer/co-op in the games, and that may become a possible legal situation if people purchase a trilogy pack, dual pack, or regular game that states on the package that there is a multiplayer to find out later that there is no online multiplayer. Many of the games such as the Resistance series and Gran Turismo 5 just went on sale in the last month or so which state on the game they have online multiplayer and these games are mostly purchased new. I hope that they put forth the effort to save the emerging online communities that just started playing PS3 and these great games rather than taking a huge chunk out of the experience they paid for. Then if the servers go public and people stop funding them and the community dies the legal issues may not be put onto Sony. If they do this then people may not be outraged enough to boycott Sony in general and they save a player base, cut costs and gain possible revenue from them becoming PS4 players or PS+ members in the future.

Message 23 of 29 (487 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3069 posts

Dec 29, 2013

the_1st_darkness wrote:

Source

In light of the policies for 2014 on some game's Online modes why don't they if possible switch the servers over to community funded/maintained which would be a viable way to keeping them alive rather than shutting them down. Putting a patch out on each game telling players that "multiplayer will end by (date) if the community doesn't fund their own servers". I thank Sony for allowing a great game selection, but they'll lose revenue from those games out there that specifically state that there is online multiplayer/co-op in the games, and that may become a possible legal situation if people purchase a trilogy pack, dual pack, or regular game that states on the package that there is a multiplayer to find out later that there is no online multiplayer. Many of the games such as the Resistance series and Gran Turismo 5 just went on sale in the last month or so which state on the game they have online multiplayer and these games are mostly purchased new. I hope that they put forth the effort to save the emerging online communities that just started playing PS3 and these great games rather than taking a huge chunk out of the experience they paid for. Then if the servers go public and people stop funding them and the community dies the legal issues may not be put onto Sony. If they do this then people may not be outraged enough to boycott Sony in general and they save a player base, cut costs and gain possible revenue from them becoming PS4 players or PS+ members in the future.

I'm sure there's some disclaimer on the box of GT 5 that says Sony reserves the right to take down the servers as long as they give a notice of like 90 days or so.

Message 24 of 29 (475 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Re: SOCOM 4 servers shutting down 28 Jan 2014

Jan 22, 2014

SUGATA_RUS wrote:
What about to make a PETITION thread?

If you guys are so upset why are you not calling Sony and anyone else who has anything to do w/ the shut down? I dont play SOCOM and I dont care if the servers are up or not but making a petition thread on the forums will accomplish NOTHING. These threads are not for making pleas to Sony, they dont read them this is just a site for gamers to talk about games and systems. It would be like Ford taking marketing advise for the new 2015 Mustang from Stangnet.com, just does not happpen.

So if you guys want to say you tried your best and did what you could to keep SOCOM alive then pick up the phone and actually make an effort to keep it alive even though if its already been decided its a moot point but you can say you tried.

Message 25 of 29 (341 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5102 posts

Jan 23, 2014
People complained when the shut down the ps2 SOCOM servers and Sony ignored them. Most people who play S4 and Confrontation don't bother with Sony forums and we probably won't hear from those gamers until January 29th when they can't access the games they love.
And the results are in, the winner of Sonys #20YearsOf Play poll is...
"Winner: SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals (24.74%)"​

It's a great day to be a SOCOM fan!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome job SOCOM fans, Worldwide!
Message 26 of 29 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9869 posts

Jan 23, 2014
i could never get online with Socom 4 cause it would fail to download the patch. I used to but when the latest patch came out I couldn't play the game.
Message 27 of 29 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7613 posts

Re:

[ Edited ]
Apr 30, 2015

Message 28 of 29 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Jan 23, 2014

WesCyde wrote:

A tweet from the official Playstation Twitter account states that SOCOM Confrontation, SOCOM 4 and MAG multiplayer servers will be taken offline on January 28, 2014.

No explanation was given to why the servers will be taken down. SOCOM 4 and MAG were developed by Zipper Interactive while SOCOM Confrontation was developed by Slant Six Games.

http://www.original-gamer.com/article/5836-SOCOM-Confrontation-SOCOM-4-and-MAG-servers-shutting-down...

MAG would be one of the best PS Now games.

This is pretty stupid IMO.

Just make it comparible, Confrontation came out way before MAG, keep MAG alive!!

Actually forget that I want MAG two, this time dont muck it up with post launch patch after crippling patch!

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 29 of 29 (312 Views)
0 Likes