Mar 24 2012
By: Alptruams Monster Hunter 34 posts

SOCOM 2 for ps3?

10 replies 1205 views Edited Mar 24, 2012

So today I went to future shop and noticed that Silent Hill 2 and 3 were remade into HD. This got me wondering if SOCOM 2 would be remade and put onto the PlayStation 3. I remember SOCOM 2 being the best gaming days of my life and to date no game has matched the experienced that I received from it. This may sound like fanboyism, however, with the current rumours surrounding Zipper on how Sony is going to shut them down. I do believe that SOCOM 2 will bring Zipper's past reputation back to life.

There is a video on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkbevTfgUGE) on how socom would look if it was put on the ps3. I personally believe that it would be a great idea because it is a unique game that was unrelated to Call of Duty (COD). If Zipper/Sony decided to make it into HD or a similar game, i.e. Socom Confrontation 2 (assuming it works at launch), then it could strongly complete against the COD style games out there in the gaming market.

The socom franchise, in my opinion, turned out this way because it wanted to expand on what socom 2 had and make it better. Sadly the turn out with socom 3 did not worked to plan because, again in my opinion, adding larger maps to hold 16 verse 16 was not what people wanted along with vehicles.

What do you think?

EDIT: for those who want to see socom 2 hd be made you can cast your vote at http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2010/03/17/socom-ii-hd/

Message 1 of 11 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7026 posts

Re: SOCOM 2 for ps3?

Mar 24, 2012

I really would love to see Socom II HD. This was the best Socom, the most fun I ever had with a game. I'd spend hours upon hours playing. Socom 4 pretty much sucks. They wanted to reach a broader audience (big mistake) and pretty much make it a Call of Duty immitation. Socom 4 is not even Socom. It doesn't deserve the title of Socom.

So I hope to see Socom II HD on the PS3 one day. I think it would do well. Really well. How does Zipper not see this?

Message 2 of 11 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Mar 24, 2012

I hope it makes the ps3. The only thing I guess we could do is just vote for it. Personally, I believe they may look into SOCOM II when socom 4 dies down (which hopefully will be soon).

Message 3 of 11 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28842 posts

Mar 24, 2012

The games don't get "remade". They are really just the same games with the graphics bolstered to high defintition. The problem with SOCOM 2, and any of the earlier SOCOM games, is that they would indeed have to be completely rebuilt from the ground up, in order to get the online portion to run on the Playstation Network. That is according to Zipper's own admission from their podcast, Zipline. I severly doubt that anyone would want to play the single player only.

The other thing is I don't see how an eight year old game is going to be the saviour of the series. There's this idea that "it would totally like sell totally so many totally millions of totally copies... totally" If you take a look, the HD collections don't sell particularly well. The Sly Collection sold 350,000. Shadow of the Colossus/ICO sold about 620,000 (not a bad number, but still well short of a million). The Prince of Persia Collection sold 230,000 copies. The Tomb Raider Trilogy sold 420,000 copies. And the Splinter Cell Collection sold 60,000. That's right, a pawltry 60,000 copies. All numbers come from vgchartz.com, so if anyone can find better numbers, please do. The exception is the God of War Collection which sold over two million copies. So I think that this idea that SOCOM 2 would sell like gangbusters and resurrect the series is a bit misguided.

If anything, what hurt SOCOM was not Call of Duty or making it like Call of Duty (like so many claim), but waiting far too long to bring the series to the PS3. That, and the shooter market is much more crowded than it was back in 2002. Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Resistence, even Counter Strike, etc. You have much more competition for your shooter dollar. MAG was a good game, and that's coming from someone who doesn't like online games all that much. The problem with MAG was not the people who made the game, but the people who PLAYED it. The complaining started, and Zipper caved into their demands and changed the game irrevocably. Like it or not, you do have to cater to as large an audience as possible. Making a game for just a few hundred thousand stalwarts isn't going to pay the bills.

Would I like to see some of the older SOCOM games remasterd into hi def? Sure, why not? But let's be realistic here. The audience for SOCOM has pretty much moved on. If Zipper is shuttered (and it's only a rumor), it will be sad to see them go, but at the same time it's part of business. What they are now selling isn't what the "public" wants.

Message 4 of 11 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Mar 24, 2012

I would have to disagree with you. I am by no means a hardcore gamer playing many games, however, all the statistics that you citied, to my knowledge, was for offline only games and if there were some online modes it would have not be made solely for online play (more of an additional feature to the game). The Socom's gaming experience is solely based online play and a solid online game play sells. This is what made socom so popular in the past. For example, Socom 2's online community the highest I seen it was 80 000 people playing at once on weekends. This is amazing statistic considering it was back in 2003 where people had to buy the online attachment for the ps2.

If Socom 2 was put into HD or even a new Socom game that has all the past maps and some added maps, such as Socom Confrontation, it will sell just like it did in the past. In fact, I do believe Confrontation sole more than Socom 4, however, the developers made it into complete crap with all its bugs from only having a ps2 budget and not a ps3 one.

Also, I do not know much with MAG. When I played it, it felt rushed like Socom Confrontation and was not fun.

Message 5 of 11 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28842 posts

Mar 24, 2012

Alptruams wrote:

I would have to disagree with you. I am by no means a hardcore gamer playing many games, however, all the statistics that you citied, to my knowledge, was for offline only games and if there were some online modes it would have not be made solely for online play (more of an additional feature to the game). The Socom's gaming experience is solely based online play and a solid online game play sells. This is what made socom so popular in the past. For example, Socom 2's online community the highest I seen it was 80 000 people playing at once on weekends. This is amazing statistic considering it was back in 2003 where people had to buy the online attachment for the ps2.

If Socom 2 was put into HD or even a new Socom game that has all the past maps and some added maps, such as Socom Confrontation, it will sell just like it did in the past. In fact, I do believe Confrontation sole more than Socom 4, however, the developers made it into complete crap with all its bugs from only having a ps2 budget and not a ps3 one.

Also, I do not know much with MAG. When I played it, it felt rushed like Socom Confrontation and was not fun.

Again, the problem is that the games would have to be completely rebuilt to get the online portion to run on the Playstation Network. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory had an online mode, as did Pandora Tomorrow. Those were both not included in the hi def remastering, because both games would have to be completely rebuilt from the ground up. That's the most important part you seem to be ignoring. If you're doing all the work and taking on all the cost of making a new game (and let's not mince words here, making games costs money and A LOT of it these days) you might as well make a new game. Not remake a ten year old game. If you went into a pitch meeting and said to Jack Tretton or whoever "okay, we have an idea for a new game, but we're really making an old game, but it will cost as much and take as much time as making a new game, only it will really be an old game", what do you think he's going to say? I know that the "gamer" in you says "they'd totally like go totally like for totally it... totally". But I'd venture a guess he'd say "get out of my office". Now if you cite Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker having online play, consider that was originally a PSP game, and it was already built for the Playstation Network.

The other thing that you're forgetting is that SOCOM 2 was eight years ago. A lot has happened in eight years. The audience has become fragmented. Some have moved on to other things. Some don't play video games anymore (yes, some people stop playing video games), some are married with kids and don't have the time they used to. Some, sadly, are no longer with us. And let's remember that many people playing video games today probably haven't played a SOCOM, so the allure isn't there for them.

You may not know this, but MAG originally started out as a SOCOM game. The intent was to push the technology to see just how many players the PS3 and the Playstation Network could handle. To Zipper's credit, they got it up to 256 players. However, the biggest problem wasn't the game, it was the people playing it. Objectives that nobody paid attention to. Command structures that nobody followed. Classifications that were rendered meaningless, as everyone just took the biggest gun available. It wasn't uncommon you'd have someone say "I got 27 kills and we lost the battle? Why did that happen?". Players made multiple accounts so they could all play with one faction (SVER), and as a result the concept of the Shadow War was completely defeated. As the Weaponers of Qward told Sinestro upon receiving the Yellow Ring, it only has one design flaw; the User.

I know it's easy to tell yourself that the audience has remained static, and say "NO! IT'S ONE WAY AND THAT'S IT!! IT CAN'T BE ANYWAY ELSE!!", but the reality is that it's a very different world today than it was in 2004. I know that, and deep down even though you may deny it, you know that as well.

Message 6 of 11 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Mar 27, 2012

It turns out according to http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/sony-shuts-down-socom-unit-13-studio-zipper-interactive/ Sony finally shut down Zipper. Not surpising since they screwed up Socom 4 by making it into a Call of Duty (COD) game. Those who want to play COD will play it and not Socom 4. How foolish they were. Only if they listened to what the players of Socom 1 and 2 wanted. This is what made the company what it was in the first place.

Message 7 of 11 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
170 posts

Apr 20, 2012

Well, I would love a socom 2, however, I would like a socom 1, 2, 3, anc Combined Assault HD. If you don't like big maps or vehicles than stay away from it. That's what i liked about socom 3/ca. If i felt like playing a 16 vs. 16 map than i would search for one. I mostly played 8 vs 8, (11 rounds, 3 min, no nades), which seemed like the most popular played. I hate when dudes like you start threads and say that Socom 3 was when this franchise went downhill. Confrontation is when this game started on the down slope.

Message 8 of 11 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 6, 2012

Couldn't agree with you more. If theyre going to continue making Socom's, at the very least go back to something similar to S1, S2. Socom 4 was terrible.

Message 9 of 11 (1,182 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jul 11, 2012
The biggest problem withMAG wasn't the players. It was the fact that once it released Zipper completely dropped the initial plan for the game and decided to start making it into whatever the minority (yet outspoken) few players wanted it to be...which happened to be a COD clone to fill their time until MW3 released. Once that happened the Shadow War, storyline and everythiñg else that could have made MAG epic, fell to the side and the rest of the game followed.

Once MW3 released and the people who ruined the game left it was too late to get it back on path and Zipper left the project half finished and with only pieces of what it was supposed to be. The biggest mistake was dropping the original plan in favor of letting players decide the games future.

Then Zipper double flopped by thinking Socom fans wanted a COD experience withS4. Big mistake! Socom 4 was nothing but Zippers attempt at a COD game. Bad idea when most every person waiting for a new Socom game was anticipating an anti-COD game. Every S4 fan waiting on S4 was sick of the standard fps of today and drooling over the idea of a real Socom game to release. Zipper let us all down with the turd they gave a Socom title to and then flopped a 3rd time by insulting the real Socom fans with their insensitive remarks in podcasts. They screwed up and knew it and the way they dealt with it was by tossing insults at the only people who could have saved them.

It was sick! Players who had been bashing Confrontation for years were now praising Slant 6 as the only ones capable of providing a Socom experience on PS3. Zipper comitted suicide wit MAG and Sonot Socom 4! Sony dropped them from premium developer status and gave them one last shot on the new handheld Vita. Vita has so far been mediocre at best and while its not Zippers fault Sony sees them as an incapable developer. So...R.I.P. Zipper!

On topic...
I would love to see Socom 2 on PS3...but it aint gonna happen! HD remakes are done to rouse excitement for a new game coming for a series. Sadly, there will be no more Socom games made! Also, no HD remakes!
Message 10 of 11 (1,156 Views)
0 Likes