Reply
First Son
Registered: 10/28/2011
Offline
4 posts
 

Re: SINCE I UPDATED 4.31 I'VE BEEN HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY PS3

Nov 20, 2012

I have been  suffering from issues from the update but now it has bricked my ps3, no sound or image is outputted and the guide provided in the forums in the US and EU to reset video output have been rendered useless. I have seen a couple of instances to which the same complication has risen from other owners and was wondering if this was due to the update. And if so am I legally entitled to compensation/reemmbursement or reparrations from Sony? Is there a warranty if the issue was caused by their software, or am I stuck with a paper weight?

Message 11 of 20 (770 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 03/01/2005
Offline
253 posts
 

Re: SINCE I UPDATED 4.31 I'VE BEEN HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY PS3

Nov 21, 2012

nope they put clause in the eula some time ago that stats they take no responsiblity with update  harming the system along with if you agreed to it you can be appart of class actions suits.

 

Like I said I highly doubt the update is what bricked the system Fualty part dying parts sure. THis whole FW brinking system BS beening going on since the release of the system. IT for most part false.

Message 12 of 20 (755 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 11/20/2012
Offline
9 posts
 

Re: SINCE I UPDATED 4.31 I'VE BEEN HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY PS3

[ Edited ]
Nov 21, 2012

Well I bought Assassin's Creed 3 and like almost everyone's it runs like crap so i went online to get the dayone update and I was originally thinking it was just that one new game even after the update... So ya I put my CoD black ops in and will it even read the disk nope, I went through all 30 of my games and only 5 will even read now... I have been playing my 40G  fat pretty much every day for years since I got it near the release and its a simple thing so I did replace the bluray when it went oh about 2 years ago now but noting else is wrong with it at all, the boards are good and clean no heat scoring or dust clumps so how can it be anything hardware... I live computer hardware it is second nature to me but as for software well I don't even want to look at that what a headache I know that's where the problem is.  It is nice to have some insight and foreknowledge with computers and the like so as to help troubleshoot where the real problem is coming from before even looking to others for help.

Message 13 of 20 (746 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16939 posts
 

Re: SINCE I UPDATED 4.31 I'VE BEEN HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY PS3

[ Edited ]
Nov 21, 2012

NinjaNamedErich wrote:

Well I bought Assassin's Creed 3 and like almost everyone's it runs like crap so i went online to get the dayone update and I was originally thinking it was just that one new game even after the update... So ya I put my CoD black ops in and will it even read the disk nope, I went through all 30 of my games and only 5 will even read now... I have been playing my 40G  fat pretty much every day for years since I got it near the release and its a simple thing so I did replace the bluray when it went oh about 2 years ago now but noting else is wrong with it at all, the boards are good and clean no heat scoring or dust clumps so how can it be anything hardware... I live computer hardware it is second nature to me but as for software well I don't even want to look at that what a headache I know that's where the problem is.  It is nice to have some insight and foreknowledge with computers and the like so as to help troubleshoot where the real problem is coming from before even looking to others for help.


If you have an older FAT PS3, then theres your problem....

 

They are KNOWN to be quite unreliable with the lasers in the drive prematurely failing. This has been talked about in great detail over the last 6 years since the PS3 has launched.
Knock on wood, both my launch day 60Gb and 80Gb PS3's are purring like kittens, but I suspect that a YLOD is going to be inevitable. When that day comes, I'll simply get both of them reballed and tuck them away for safe keeping and get the new Super Slims with extended warranty.

Replacement parts are just as sketchy, which is why I no longer repair PS3's. The return rate on PS3's coming back for the same repair was as high as about 60-70% and that sort of margin for error IS way above industry standards being in the 20-30%. 
Even though I never bought replacement parts off of ebay where most DIY'ers do, I used a trusted supplier and even still the quality was hit and miss and caused me to pay out of pocket for warranty repair.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother trying to repair your PS3 a 3rd time. You'd be better off getting a newer PS3 Slim or Super Slim and purchase an extended warranty. This will remove the majority of the headache associated with a malfunctioning unit at least until the warranty finally expires. 



Furiously Chaosing
Message 14 of 20 (741 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 04/05/2003
Offline
13294 posts
 

Re: SINCE I UPDATED 4.31 I'VE BEEN HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY PS3

Nov 22, 2012

Its a common problem. your blue rar laser/drive is on its way out Its a very well known problem with the PS3. It just chose bad timing to die after the update. If it was a bad update either everyone in general or everyone with the same modle as you would have tis issue. That would be possible millions of PS3 units. Sorry for the bad news hearing about your issue but you need it to be sent in to be fix with a new blue ray laser or drive.

Message 15 of 20 (730 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 08/04/2012
Offline
23 posts
 

Re: SINCE I UPDATED 4.31 I'VE BEEN HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY PS3

Feb 17, 2013

Wow.. I'm reading some of these post and there ridiculous.  I take very good care of my equipment. I'm a musician and have many keyboards and computers, its Sony's fault for making faulty products. I've had to send my ps2 in to be fixed over 4 times and my ps3, not counting the 2 I bought and 1 of them not working. I take care of my stuff 

 

Now..

 

Somethings odd.   My UFC U3. isn't working and its sending me a message  I've never seen be4. " Connect the controller using a USB cable, and then press th PS button" and when I do its says " The system cannot be run correctly. Press thPS button to try to restart the system. If the system cannot be restarded you must reininstall system software. Connect storage media that contains update of version 4.31 or later, and then press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time. For more ino. on how to obtain update data, refer to SCE web site for your region.  **bleep**  

If someone knows what this is please ... let me know.

Message 16 of 20 (368 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16939 posts
 

Re: SINCE I UPDATED 4.31 I'VE BEEN HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY PS3

Feb 17, 2013

sHIN234 wrote:

Wow.. I'm reading some of these post and there ridiculous.  I take very good care of my equipment. I'm a musician and have many keyboards and computers, its Sony's fault for making faulty products. I've had to send my ps2 in to be fixed over 4 times and my ps3, not counting the 2 I bought and 1 of them not working. I take care of my stuff 

 

Now..

 

Somethings odd.   My UFC U3. isn't working and its sending me a message  I've never seen be4. " Connect the controller using a USB cable, and then press th PS button" and when I do its says " The system cannot be run correctly. Press thPS button to try to restart the system. If the system cannot be restarded you must reininstall system software. Connect storage media that contains update of version 4.31 or later, and then press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time. For more ino. on how to obtain update data, refer to SCE web site for your region.  **bleep**  

If someone knows what this is please ... let me know.


Doesn't matter how you treat your toys.... inevitably, its going to fail. Not a question of IF... but a question of WHEN.

If you take SOO much care of your stuff.... why is it that you've had bad luck in the past?

 

you can't always blame Sony for everything, even though they're the ones who will eat it when approving warranty claims or doing a store exchange.
What if a DOA PS2 or PS3 was simply because of the shipping company mis-handling the shipment? What if a store emloyee accidentally dropped a box or two or intentially did so like the many videos of walmart/target etc etc employees?

You have to give Sony the benefit of the doubt.... MANY people on here have had nothing but good things to say about the reliability of their Playstations, including myself, when there are others who have bad luck....

As a company, you CANNOT guarantee 100% reliability, that would just be suicide. The only thing they can guarantee is that your item will be DEFECT FREE for one year... aka warranty.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 17 of 20 (358 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
Registered: 04/30/2005
Offline
13759 posts
 

Re: SINCE I UPDATED 4.31 I'VE BEEN HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY PS3

Feb 17, 2013
I get random lost connection to the psn. Message saying that the cable isn't connected. This has been happening since the latest update.
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?member=Grim%20Reaper
Message 18 of 20 (355 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 04/27/2013
Offline
6 posts
 

Re: SINCE I UPDATED 4.31 I'VE BEEN HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY PS3

Apr 27, 2013

I too started experiencing problems while and after downloading the update. It took three tries until the update stuck and now I cannot access the intenet or internet search because the system will crash and reboot in safe mode. Furthermore, I downloaded some DLC that will not install. This is not a coincidence

Message 19 of 20 (163 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 03/09/2012
Offline
275 posts
 

Re: SINCE I UPDATED 4.31 I'VE BEEN HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY PS3

[ Edited ]
May 2, 2013

Cpt_Blasto wrote:

I too started experiencing problems while and after downloading the update. It took three tries until the update stuck and now I cannot access the intenet or internet search because the system will crash and reboot in safe mode. Furthermore, I downloaded some DLC that will not install. This is not a coincidence


Smiley Indifferent Wow... A lot of pain here...

 

As usual, amongst all the smoke, most of you are ALL right on what you're saying. 

I THINK it ought to come down to THIS:

 

Sony's got a REALLY nervous fear of hackers, so whatever security may be included in "patches", "logins", "activations" etc make it a gamble for many of our trusty but well-worn (err...sometime REALLY WORN) consoles to communicate PERFECTLY with the Sony network during a download.

 

Many of us have been told by our internet providers that we are getting a PERFECT, top-quality, internet line feed...when, umm, it won't garantee it doesn't drop us out of an online match or hiccup during a download.

 

So whenever Sony is offering a software download, NEVER... and I mean NEVER AGAIN, try to update your console DIRECTLY with the "via internet" option on your console.  (In other words, never let Sony feed and install your software update directly from the Sony Network, EVER!) .  

 

 

Step 1-  If you have a laptop, PC, etc, go to the Sony website and download the Firmware Update ONTO YOUR COMPUTER.  (leave your valuable console out of the equation completely). 

The Firmware Update downloads as a PUP file that you can move, copy, etc. 

Hey, just for kicks, I even run a SCAN on the file for spyware/adware (it's fun to be curious, and hey, you never know...).

 

Step 2- Move the PUP file to a PS3-update-folder on a USB flash drive.  Be Advised, these days the Updates are nearly 200MB huge. 

(Hey, you can be curious again and SCAN the flash drive for adware/spyware too,  hee hee.)

 

Step 3- THEN, turn on your console in the offline safety of your house (internet completely disconnected if you like), and install the update FROM THE USB drive. 

 

 

Even on units that I knew where slowly dying, I ALWAYS did my updates this way, since way back at 2.70 ...it has NEVER FAILED ME or caused the slightest flinch in performance. 

 

STAY OFF THE "via internet" way of updating. (Playstation Plus members may consider opting out from the "automatic update" options too).   Give your precious PS3 every safety margin you can think of.  These consoles ain't cheap!

 

 

 

Note, this is not a negative-dump on Sony and their updating methods.  I'm sure they are doing their best.  Robot Happy


Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

I'll miss your contributuions, Eterne.
Message 20 of 20 (150 Views)
Reply
0 Likes