Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 13 2014
By: TheMooseChops PlayStation MVP 435 posts

Rise of The Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive!

[ Edited ]
43 replies 384 views Edited Aug 13, 2014

The quote from Xbox boss Phil Spencer :

Is there a time limit on the exclusivity period?

"Yes, the deal has a duration. I didn't buy it. I don't own the franchise."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-microsoft-confirms-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xbox-exclusi...

Now all Tomb Raider fans can chill out and complain about something else. :smileyvery-happy:

Mod Edit: Updated label. Check here for more information. Thanks! --GrainneNessa

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 44 (384 Views)
PlayStation MVP
14986 posts

Rise of the Tomb Raider XB1 exclusive

Aug 12, 2014

Yes, there was a brief conversation in the random thread about this, but I wanted it to have it's own thread so more people would see it.

The next game in the reboot of the storied franchise, will be an Xbox exclusive, Microsoft corporate vice president Phil Harrison announced at Gamescom today.

The game's creators explained the decision in a tumblr post today:

Spoiler

Dear Tomb Raider Community,

As you may have seen, we've just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox. We consider all of you to be the lifeblood of Tomb Raider and the work we do at Crystal. I'd like to give you some insight into this decision, and why we feel this is the very best thing for the Tomb Raider sequel we're creating at the studio.

Tomb Raider in 2013 was a success due in large part to your continued support. Our goal has always been to deliver something truly special with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Today's announcement with Microsoft is one step to help us put Tomb Raider on top of action adventure gaming. Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011. We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.

This doesn't mean that we're walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.

We know that there are probably many more questions and concerns. Please do send them to us, and we'll answer to the best of our ability. Meanwhile we're going all out to try and make something truly special - the most ambitious Tomb Raider game ever built.

Thanks,

Darrell Gallagher
Crystal Dynamics Head of Studios

I wonder if it was uncomfortable to sit and type that up with wads of MS's money lodged in their anus.

My thinking on this is that by it's release ("Holiday" 2015) there would games on the PS4 that would be competing with too heavily, and it wouldn't get as much attention as it would on the XB1. It's obviously a timed exclusive (much like what's happening to TitanFall but in reverse) but it's still incredibly annoying.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 44 (278 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
18456 posts

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider XB1 exclusive

[ Edited ]
Aug 12, 2014

inb4 timed exclusive.

Setzaroth wrote:
Yes, there was a brief conversation in the random thread about this

This is why no good threads are being made anymore.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 44 (276 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10090 posts

Aug 12, 2014

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

inb4 timed exclusive.

Setzaroth wrote:

Ok I'll create a thread everytime the smallest things come to my mind

Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 44 (265 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14986 posts

Aug 12, 2014

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

inb4 timed exclusive.

Setzaroth wrote:

...what?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 44 (261 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29459 posts

Aug 12, 2014

someoene already said it

timed exclusive

a thread was made about this already

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Rise-of-The-Tomb-Raider-is-exclusive/td-p...

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 44 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2161 posts

Aug 12, 2014

This is going to get moved to GENERAL :smileysad: also did you know in the forum rules it says the "inb4_______" are a no no. Which is kinda odd to me, but that is besides the point.

I'm with the timed exclusive though. Nothing is really exclusive anymore anyways. Besides the companies that only make their games for certain consoles. I can only think of two being Sucker Punch and Bungie actually. Bungie just made the push as well so all I can think of is Sucker Punch.

I never played the first game but it did look cool. I watched a Let's Play of it and I enjoyed it. I would have to see more on it if I was going to get it or not anyways though.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 44 (244 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14986 posts

Aug 12, 2014

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

someoene already said it

timed exclusive

a thread was made about this already

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Rise-of-The-Tomb-Raider-is-exclusive/td-p...

ya, I just saw it.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 44 (240 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 12, 2014

With the announcement that Playstation have sold over 10 million PS4's, I would like to hope that Playstation would do everything it could to be as much a supporter to Crystal Dynamics as its competors.  Playstation needs to do more to insure that Microsoft is not able to corner the market on a game such as this.

I don't want to purchase an XBox One and a PS4, we hardly use our current XBox system.  I would like to believe that Playstation not only has the bettter consoles and games but that Playstation listens to and suports its community.  I currently owns 2 PS3's, an XBox 360, along with 2 PS1 and a Game Cube.  The next system I buy will be it for the next few years and I want it to be the PS4 but this game will be a very big part of my decision.  I don't play topdown games, I am very selective.

Thanks for your attention.

Zoe    

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 44 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10090 posts

Aug 12, 2014

I don't think people are going to run out and buy an xbox because of tomb raider...especially with uncharted coming out next year...hopefully

Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 44 (210 Views)
0 Likes