Platform: PlayStation®4

ESRB Rating: Everyone 10+

Developer: Ghost Games

Publisher: Electronic Arts

Release Date: Nov 15th, 2013

Overall Score: 8/10

Review Author: Renai_Kakume

General Idea

NFS: Rivals puts you in the seat of either a Racer or a Cop in which you may switch back and forth at anytime in the course of the game. You start off with a Porsche Cayman S (Racer) and Mercedes C63 (Cop) and the objective is to rank up so that you can get better and faster cars. You pick through three columns of race events and proceed through the list until the end. Once you finish your first playthrough you can pick and choose other events until you complete finish the list. Each column consist of 20 events with 60 in total. Although there is a story, just like most race games it's not good or non existent. Luckily for Rivals, the core game was compelling enough that the horrible cut sense with dialog didn't bog down the review score too heavily.

As a Racer you choose a car to deploy from various hideout (you may deploy from new hideouts when discovered). Before deploying you will need to equip weapons called Pursuit Tech

List of Pursuit Tech for Racers:

Electromagnetic Pulse

Electric Field

Jammer

Shockwave

Stun Mine

Turbo Boost

By racing other racers, evading cops and other activities, you earn Speed Points that will go towards upgrading your car's performance, upgrading your car's Pursuit Tech (Level 4 is the highest) or buying new cars (which you will need to be the proper level to actually buy). As you get better cars, the cars will be able to carry more Pursuit Tech which will give you a better chance to successfully complete your task.

As a Cop instead of manually upgrading your cars, you have given three choices of of performance package that coincides with the three column events in story mode: Under Cover Cop, Enforcer, and Patrol. As a Cop you also get to Equip Pursuit Tech

List of Pursuit Tech for Cops:

Electromagnetic Pulse

Electric Field

Helicopter

Roadblock

Shock Ram

Spike Strips

The Cop side is much easier to Speed Points because once you shut down a racer you gain their speed points. Other ways are Time runs to arrive on scene (to nothing lol) or busting a group of racers to name a few.

The Good

Though there are some gripes with the visual stability of the game overall the game looks great at 30fps for the most part at 1080p. The different environment settings from desert to tall forest trees into the slick snowy mountains; there's always something to see in NFS: Rivals. The sounds of each cars give each its own personality that accompanies the visual fidelity of the vehicle. The most enjoyable moments will will probably have is playing with friends online and/or random players online and this is where the game shines.

There are settings to turn off automatic launching of online game session, but when you do this the game loses some of its soul and the it almost feel like a wasteland, so be sure to have some friends on your list to play with.

Another great thing about the game is the trophies are very easy to get and will probably be able to finish it within a day or two given the cooperation of friends on your list or random players you encounter in game.

The Bad

There are instance where the background will flicker rainbow static pieces where textures will be, but that can easily be patched and didn't hurt the experience too much.

Rivals had jumps available which was fine, but it didn't have much of a personality or sense of accomplishment like Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit where your face would be plastered onto a billboard for all to see. Instead it had dotted lines that just got in the way.

The grind is real. Once you finished with the Cop (which is a lot more enjoyable) it feels like more work than gaming unless you have a consent group of friends that join you.

AI is decent, but when you are on the cop side they can get annoying sometimes getting in your way.

Overall

Need for Speed: Rivals is a great time waster. I found myself just driving around for hours not really doing nothing but driving taking in all the scenery. Most of The Bad that were mentioned are very small issues that once you start playing will probably not even noticed. With an easy platinum is deserves to be in your collection of racing games for your PS4.

Message 1 of 4 (450 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
466 posts

Re: [Review] Need for Speed: Rivals

Feb 10, 2014
Great review!
I personally find the racer mode to be a lot more fun than a cop, unless I want to just drive around and go sight seeing. I think the reviews are a bit harsh, for an arcade racer this game is a lot of fun, and doing Hot pursuit: Grand Tour with all friends and no AI is a blast!

Offline (single player) or random group is a great way to play and kill some time, or in a room with friends can be hours of enjoyment and laughs!
Message 2 of 4 (439 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
683 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 10, 2014

Renai_Kakume wrote:

The Bad

Rivals had jumps available which was fine, but it didn't have much of a personality or sense of accomplishment like Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit where your face would be plastered onto a billboard for all to see. Instead it had dotted lines that just got in the way.

The dotted lines are there to show you the take off, route and landing position of the current leader's jump - if anything it is a simple but valuable guide if you're having trouble nailing a specific jump. 

If you do want your name on a Billboard, then there is a great floating one at the start location of every event, showing the top times between Rivals on your friends list, along with your Avatar there for all to see. Smiley Wink

The speedlist competitiveness on this is probably the best so far in the history of Autolog, and if you want to take it to the next level then you could always register on NFSTimes.com. and see how you measure up to other players on various platforms?

Cheers for the review and highlighting this excellent game though!

Message 3 of 4 (416 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Feb 10, 2014

THE_FORCE wrote:

Renai_Kakume wrote:

The Bad

The dotted lines are there to show you the take off, route and landing position of the current leader's jump - if anything it is a simple but valuable guide if you're having trouble nailing a specific jump. 

If you do want your name on a Billboard, then there is a great floating one at the start location of every event, showing the top times between Rivals on your friends list, along with your Avatar there for all to see. Smiley Wink

The speedlist competitiveness on this is probably the best so far in the history of Autolog, and if you want to take it to the next level then you could always register on NFSTimes.com. and see how you measure up to other players on various platforms?

Cheers for the review and highlighting this excellent game though!

i understand what the dotted lines were for, but it already had the distance jumped...I don't need lines to show me how far that is. The just got in the way when I was actually driving or racing and I had to go under a bridge that had a jump, and I would lose focus. Like I said it was a small gripe.

The thing I liked about the Billboards in NFS HP was I would drive around the city and just see my mug on all these billboards made me feel famous. Just really cool feeling.

Message 4 of 4 (401 Views)
0 Likes