Apr 23 2013
By: HorrorGod Welcoming Committee 4404 posts

[Review] Macabre Mondays - "The Suffering" (PS2)

[ Edited ]
2 replies 30889 views Edited Feb 3, 2014

Game Title: The Suffering
Genre: Psychological Horror
Platform: PlayStation 2 (PS2)
ESRB Rating: Mature (M)
Developer: Surreal Software
Publisher: Midway Games
Release Date: March 9th, 2004
Overall Rating: 9/10
Review Author: HorrorGod

I thought I would start a weekly spotlight that focuses on older "horror" titles. Maybe you've played these, maybe you wanted to but never got around to it, or maybe you had just forgotten about them entirely. Either way, I hope these weekly posts will either make you want to play these games or look back and remember how good they were.

I've already made a long list of games to spotlight, which goes all the way into June 2014. So, expect this weekly installment to keep coming for quite awhile. Smiley Happy

For the debut spotlight, I will focus on the PS2 third-person psychological-survival-horror title, "The Suffering."

TheSufferingPS2.jpg

STORY/GAMEPLAY

In this psychological horror game, you play as Torque, a man who has been sent to Abbott State Penitentiary on Carnate Island.

Torque has been convicted and sentenced to death for murdering his ex-wife and two children, although he claims to have no memory of the horrible act, due to blacking out at the time this happened. While serving his first night in Prison there is a powerful earthquake, which releases an army of monsters upon the facility. Torque is freed from his cell in the aftermath.

You then control Torque as he explores the prison in an attempt to escape Carnate Island alive.

The game utilizes a "morality system." (like many games did before it, or many of the games today.) They come usually in the form of a person who is trying to survive the horrors of the island. You are then presented with three options: help the person (good deed), kill them (evil deed), or remain indifferent (neutral). The right/wrong choice is not always so clear, and the decisions made in regards to these opportunities affect the ending of the game.

In order to keep track of your "morality level," you are required to look at a picture of Torque and his family in the inventory, which got cleaner with good choices and dirtier with evil ones.

Another cool feature is the ability to transform into a monster, after Torque's insanity meter has been filled, by killing other monsters. This comes  in handy while going up against the tougher monsters.

CLOSING REMARKS

"The Suffering" only sold a little over 1 million copies in it's life cycle (which was actually not bad for 2004.)

It was then quickly followed up by the sequel "The Suffering: Ties That Bind," a year later, which immediately followed the events of the first game. If your save file from the first game was present, you could even continue your "morality level" when playing the sequel. (much like inFamous 1 & 2 on PS3.)

Looking back, "The Suffering" was not exactly a great game, but it was a good horror title and rather enjoyable.

I picked it up the same week it was released. It was a "must own" title in my book -- and I was not disappointed.

Sadly, this game is not yet available on the PSN Store as a "PS2 Classic." Soif you like horror games and never got chance to play this, recommend you hunt down a copy, dust off your PS2, and take it for a spin.

My Rating:

9/10

Please Note: The views expressed in this message are the views of the review author, who is in no way affiliated with SCEA or PlayStation.com.

Next: "Manhunt" (PS2)

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 1 of 3 (30,889 Views)
MVP Support
6837 posts

Re: Macabre Mondays: "The Suffering" (PS2)

Apr 23, 2013

Looks like your space bar is having issues Smiley Wink.  I never knew much about this game and didn't really have money at the time, but I am a survival horror fan and therefore was interested in it.  I'll keep an eye out for it; doesn't look like it will be hard to find.  I didn't know it had a sequel.

Message 2 of 3 (30,885 Views)
Highlighted
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Re: Macabre Mondays: "The Suffering" (PS2)

Apr 23, 2013

JERM7 wrote:

Looks like your space bar is having issues Smiley Wink.  I never knew much about this game and didn't really have money at the time, but I am a survival horror fan and therefore was interested in it.  I'll keep an eye out for it; doesn't look like it will be hard to find.  I didn't know it had a sequel.

haha, sorry about that. My space bar is fine, but for some reason the forum has been doing that to me the past week. I don't know why.

I fixed the post.

Yes, you should really check this game out when you can. It hasn't exactly aged well, but it is still worth playing for the story.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 3 of 3 (30,870 Views)
0 Likes