Genre: Survival Horror / Puzzle Adventure
Platform: PlayStation (PS1)
ESRB Rating: Teen (T)
Developer: WARP
Publisher: Acclaim Entertainment
Release Date: March 2nd, 1996
Overall Rating: 7/10
Review Author: HorrorGod

This week's spotlight is for the 3-disc, full-motion video, horror puzzler -- "D."

DPS1Cover.jpg

STORY/GAMEPLAY:

1997 Los Angeles. A mass murder has taken place in a hospital. The criminal is one Richter Harris, one of America's best-known doctors. Richter has seized a large number of hostages and barricaded himself into the hospital where the police cannot reach him. His daughter Laura Harris hears the news at school in San Francisco. Immediately she drives to Los Angeles to find out what it is that has made her father a killer. Reaching the scene of the tragedy, she enters the hospital.

Once inside, a timer begins. When Laura's pocketwatch (located in her inventory) reaches midnight it is an automatic "Try Again" screen for you. There are no save points in "D," meaning you need to finish it in one sitting (Within 2 hours). Thankfully, it's a short game if you are quick and don't waste too much time. There are no deaths either, so time (and a creepy atmosphere) are your only enemies.

The button configuration is pretty simple. The D-Pad is used to move Laura in the direction you want to go (Forward, Left, Right, Back); Circle is the Select/Confirm button; R1 operates the item menu. This can not be changed.

"D" is not your typical Survival Horror game. Instead of a third-person, explore and fight horror titles that exist now, "D" is a first-person, full motion video (FMV) puzzler. Meaning, it is one long continuous cutscene that you control, or for a better description, an interactive movie. At first, the 3-Discs are a bit misleading. You expect a long journey ahead of you, until you realize it's 3-discs because they are jammed packed with nothing but video.

There are 3 endings. "Good," "Bad," and "Good (100%)." The latter is the same as the the "Good" ending, but with one noticeable addition in the credits.

CLOSING REMARKS:

"D" was well received by critics when it was released, though it was much more popular in Japan than the U.S. For its time it had some very disturbing and controversial imagery. But, compared to the violence and gore in today's games, most critics, gamers -- and parents, wouldn't even bat an eye at it now.

Originally it was released first for the Panasonic 3DO in 1995, then ported later to PlayStation, Sega Saturn, and PC. According to Kenji Eno (the now deceased creator of the game), Sony failed to manufacture enough units of the PlayStation version to match preorders, resulting in sales of less than a third of what they otherwise would have been. Upset by this, WARP protested by releasing their next three (and last) games as Sega Saturn/Dreamcast exclusives.

"D" was the first game to ever star a digital actress. "Laura," would star in a total of 3 games -- D, Enemy Zero, and D-2. All of which she plays a character named "Laura," but with a different last name.

Like a lot of FMV games, "D" has not aged well, but I personally still find it creepy to this day. If you missed this one, I insist you give this classic a shot. Sadly, it is not available on PSN, so you will need to track down a physical copy from an online retailer. Or, you may have better luck just downloading it on your PC, especially since the PC version is considered to be the best and most complete version of them all. Even though it's not a great game compared to today's standards, it's still a game worth experiencing and honoring for the accomplishments of its time. Enjoy.

My Rating:
7/10

TRAILER:

Please Note: The views expressed in this message are the views of the review author, who is in no way affiliated with SCEA or PlayStation.com.

Previous: "Silent Hill 2" (PS2)
Next: "Outlast" (PS4/PSN)

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 1 of 5 (544 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1020 posts

Re: [Review] Macabre Mondays - "D" (PS1)

Mar 10, 2014

This is one I remember reading about in game GamePro way back when but never got around to playing.

It always interested me but I grew up in a very small town with no game rental places, and couldn't justify my using my allowance money on a short game. 

I might download it now that you've brought it to my attention. It seems like short games like this that have a nostalgia factor would be prime material for rebooting/remaking from an independant studio. I'd love to see more true horror games on the market.

Message 2 of 5 (519 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Mar 10, 2014

timlsteele wrote:

This is one I remember reading about in game GamePro way back when but never got around to playing.

It always interested me but I grew up in a very small town with no game rental places, and couldn't justify my using my allowance money on a short game. 

I might download it now that you've brought it to my attention. It seems like short games like this that have a nostalgia factor would be prime material for rebooting/remaking from an independant studio. I'd love to see more true horror games on the market.

Definitely do. It's worth your time. I rented it when it came out and It took a little while to figure out exactly what I was supposed to do, because it didn't come with the manual. haha. (Most rentals didn't.) I later played it on the PC at a friends. Besides graphics, there are some other differences between the console and PC versions, but it's still the same game overall.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 3 of 5 (513 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6452 posts

Mar 10, 2014

I remember playing this game. Back when the PS1 games come in the long box. I liked it, great review HG.

"Laaaaaaauuuuuurrrrraaaa..."  Smiley LOL

Google+Google+Google+Google+Google+
Message 4 of 5 (501 Views)
Highlighted
Gaming Beast
1624 posts

Mar 11, 2014

Once again had this game not for the PS1 but for my PC. it was one of the first games I got along with Myst. If I remember rightly this ran through DOS on the computer. Really great game, I bet if I look hard enough I probably still have it, I'm such a pack rat!

Message 5 of 5 (488 Views)