Mar 09 2007
By: XyerX~ First Son 2 posts

Reset PS2 DVD Parental Control PW?

20 replies 64023 views Edited Mar 9, 2007
Does anyone know how to reset the Parental Control Password for the PS2? I just bought a used one and can't seem to figure out what they made it.
Message 1 of 21 (64,023 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
45016 posts

Re: Reset PS2 DVD Parental Control PW?

Mar 9, 2007
1. Insert a DVD Movie into the PlayStation®2.
2. You should receive a message informing you that the Parental Level has been set, and asking if youý"d like to allow the disc to play. Highlight "Yes" and then press the X button.
3. A new window will appear asking you to temporarily change the Parental Control to a different level. Again, highlight "Yes", and then press the X button.
4. Another window will appear asking you to enter your Password. Above that window are numbers (0-9).
5. Do not enter your password, but instead, press the select button on your Controller. This will change the text in the window from "Enter Password" to "Delete Password".
6. Using the numbers above the window, input 7444. If successful, you will receive a message stating "Deletion Complete".
7. Press Select. You will now be asked to register a new password. Please select a four-digit code of your choosing.
8. You will be asked to confirm your password selection by inputting the same code once again. If successful, you will receive a message stating "Registration Confirmed".
9. Now you need to turn off the password altogether. The movie should of started playing by now. Press select and chose Setup. Go to the parental control "tab" and set the level to "off".
10. Now you should be able to watch any movie

All credit for this write up goes to the member POST (revised by UnhappyKlown3).

Message 2 of 21 (64,023 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
112 posts

Mar 30, 2007
I bought a SCPH-77001 series Slim and I too am having problems getting the Parental Control off.  I followed the instructions and yet I cannot get the thing to tun off.  After following the steps exactly and then letting the movie play, the section under setup tab for Parental Control is still grayed out and I cannot turn it off.  What I am I doing wrong here?
Message 3 of 21 (64,023 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
45016 posts

Mar 30, 2007
1. Insert a DVD Movie into the PlayStation®2.
2. You should receive a message informing you that the Parental Level has been set, and asking if youý"d like to allow the disc to play. Highlight "Yes" and then press the X button.
3. A new window will appear asking you to temporarily change the Parental Control to a different level. Again, highlight "Yes", and then press the X button.
4. Another window will appear asking you to enter your Password. Above that window are numbers (0-9).
5. Do not enter your password, but instead, press the select button on your Controller. This will change the text in the window from "Enter Password" to "Delete Password".
6. Using the numbers above the window, input 7444. If successful, you will receive a message stating "Deletion Complete".
7. Press Select. You will now be asked to register a new password. Please select a four-digit code of your choosing.
8. You will be asked to confirm your password selection by inputting the same code once again. If successful, you will receive a message stating "Registration Confirmed".
9. Now you need to turn off the password altogether. The movie should of started playing by now. Press select and chose Setup. Go to the parental control "tab" and set the level to "off".
10. Now you should be able to watch any movie

All credit for this write up goes to the member POST (revised by UnhappyKlown3). 

Message 4 of 21 (64,023 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
112 posts

Apr 2, 2007
Even though I followed every step you listed, the Parental Control is still grayed out after the movie begins to play.  Did Sony change a step to disabling it in the new SCPH-77000 series PS2's?  Because I am positive I am doing everything the instructions say and still I cannot get the thing to work.

Message Edited by Sailor on 04-01-2007 09:57 PM
Message 5 of 21 (64,023 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4388 posts

Apr 2, 2007

Sailor wrote:
Even though I followed every step you listed, the Parental Control is still grayed out after the movie begins to play.  Did Sony change a step to disabling it in the new SCPH-77000 series PS2's?  Because I am positive I am doing everything the instructions say and still I cannot get the thing to work.

Message Edited by Sailor on 04-01-2007 09:57 PM

Have you ever made a PS2 DVD password? If you havn't, try 0000 or 0123. These are 2 very common passwords, that come stock with the PS2.

But no, Sony didn't change the way on how to reset your PW, just because you have a new model. You must be doing somethign wrong in the steps.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 6 of 21 (64,023 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 5, 2007
I had the same problem with my new PS2. I figured out that if you change your PW it won't let you access the parental control tab to modify it without 'rebooting'. So I followed the steps and I got the same thing.. it was grey and no PW # dialogue popped up when I hit X.
I unplugged the machine and without change the PW, tried to access the parental control.
I put a movie in, entered the code so I could temp change the control level then stopped the movie, hit select and brought up the parental control tab and this time it gave me the PW dialogue so I could change the permanent settings.

I hope this works for you.
Message 7 of 21 (64,023 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
149 posts

Apr 5, 2007
the parental control is weird on mine. it makes me reset it everytime. so when i watch a movie i i just gotta put in a random 4 #s. lol.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 8 of 21 (64,023 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Apr 6, 2007
Thanks for the tips.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 9 of 21 (64,023 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
112 posts

Apr 6, 2007
I am going to have to try that.  I usually leave my Slim PS2 plugged in, but I will give that tip a try.  I sure hope it works for me.  So I don't enter a passward other than 7444?   Then let the movie play?  But it always asks for a new password immediatly after resetting it.
Message 10 of 21 (64,023 Views)
0 Likes