Oct 22 2012
By: IvanDoomer Lombax Warrior 205 posts

Reserved HD space for system on PS3

3 replies 260 views Edited Oct 22, 2012

Hi masters,

Every time when I format a brand new HD  on PS3, it reserves an amount of free space to system. When I installed a 500GB disk, it reserved more than 40GB of space as occupied, but without anything installed. Now I installed a 1TB hard drive, and samething happened, it occupied almost 90GB of free space with... nothing (appears something like "Free Space: 849 GB / 930 GB" on System prefference.

Where's my space? It's normal to PS3 reserve almost 10% of my disk space to reserved use?

I suppose that's not the space occupied for format tables cause the entire disk haves 1TB, and I suppose that 70GB was already reserved for it.

Thanks a lot

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (260 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14949 posts

Re: Reserved HD space for system on PS3

Oct 22, 2012

yes its normal... every computer does it

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (252 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
205 posts

Oct 22, 2012
Not "every computer", I know that's normal to appears a less space than the nominal amount of dataspace on a device cause it loose some space to create partition information, clusters infos, etc.

On PS3, includint this, they just already consume more 90 GBs and I don't know where they put it. I just want to know if it's normal about PS3 OS higind 10% of disk space for internal use, it's not a common formatting issue.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Record Breaker
4274 posts

Oct 22, 2012

IvanDoomer wrote:
...I just want to know if it's normal about PS3 OS higind 10% of disk space for internal use...

Yes. It's normal for the PS3 to do this.

Proud to be a Monkey!

~~~ SupaTunaGT ~~~

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (238 Views)