Reply
Sackboy
Registered: 11/01/2010
Offline
456 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 23, 2012

Well I don't want to take sides or anything, but I do beleive that Sony is not selling the psvita at a loss (maybe because of other expenses), if they are it isnt a big loss. This leaves space for problems that might come in the future. There is a good chance that there will be a price drop too. I also agree with Sniffynose, it's true that almost every object sells for way more than the materials and components are actually worth. But then again, we are talking about components only and nothing else, LogicalDolphin was simply making a point that the components are worth 160$. He didn't say the value of the PSVita is 160$.



Message 31 of 41 (18 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/09/2010
Offline
2090 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 23, 2012

D-Roy12 wrote:

Well I don't want to take sides or anything, but I do beleive that Sony is not selling the psvita at a loss (maybe because of other expenses), if they are it isnt a big loss. This leaves space for problems that might come in the future. There is a good chance that there will be a price drop too. I also agree with Sniffynose, it's true that almost every object sells for way more than the materials and components are actually worth. But then again, we are talking about components only and nothing else, LogicalDolphin was simply making a point that the components are worth 160$. He didn't say the value of the PSVita is 160$.

Gravity Rush <3

I'm sorry to say this but these to statement's do not go together.

____________________________________________________________
Want a option to buy avatar's on the ps vita's psn store. Then vote on the link by copying it to your web browser.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 32 of 41 (18 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 11/01/2010
Offline
456 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 23, 2012

Incagneto wrote:

D-Roy12 wrote:

Well I don't want to take sides or anything, but I do beleive that Sony is not selling the psvita at a loss (maybe because of other expenses), if they are it isnt a big loss. This leaves space for problems that might come in the future. There is a good chance that there will be a price drop too. I also agree with Sniffynose, it's true that almost every object sells for way more than the materials and components are actually worth. But then again, we are talking about components only and nothing else, LogicalDolphin was simply making a point that the components are worth 160$. He didn't say the value of the PSVita is 160$.

Gravity Rush <3

I'm sorry to say this but these to statement's do not go together.

You forgot part of my sentance.



Message 33 of 41 (18 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/09/2010
Offline
2090 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 23, 2012

D-Roy12 wrote:

Incagneto wrote:

D-Roy12 wrote:

Well I don't want to take sides or anything, but I do beleive that Sony is not selling the psvita at a loss (maybe because of other expenses), if they are it isnt a big loss. This leaves space for problems that might come in the future. There is a good chance that there will be a price drop too. I also agree with Sniffynose, it's true that almost every object sells for way more than the materials and components are actually worth. But then again, we are talking about components only and nothing else, LogicalDolphin was simply making a point that the components are worth 160$. He didn't say the value of the PSVita is 160$.

Gravity Rush <3

I'm sorry to say this but these to statement's do not go together.

You forgot part of my sentance.

Gravity Rush <3

it still does not fit together at all to me either you agree with Logical_Dolphin or you do not. you say you agree but according to your post you really do not.

____________________________________________________________
Want a option to buy avatar's on the ps vita's psn store. Then vote on the link by copying it to your web browser.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 34 of 41 (18 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 11/01/2010
Offline
456 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 23, 2012

Agree with who? The only person I said I agree with is Sniffynose. I'm not taking sides in the arguement and I don't want to start anything up. Logical_Dolphin made some good points and so did you and others, I was just stating my opinion on the matter, In fact I agree with some of your points and some of Logical_Dolphin's points. The last sentance in my post is just reminding everbody why he made this thread, because it seemed like some of us were trailing into other subjects that are different from the initial subject.



Message 35 of 41 (18 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/09/2010
Offline
2090 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 23, 2012

D-Roy12 wrote:

Agree with who? The only person I said I agree with is Sniffynose. I'm not taking sides in the arguement and I don't want to start anything up. Logical_Dolphin made some good points and so did you and others, I was just stating my opinion on the matter, In fact I agree with some of your points and some of Logical_Dolphin's points. The last sentance in my post is just reminding everbody why he made this thread, because it seemed like some of us were trailing into other subjects that are different from the initial subject.

Gravity Rush <3

D-Roy12 wrote:

Well I don't want to take sides or anything, but I do beleive that Sony is not selling the psvita at a loss (maybe because of other expenses), if they are it isnt a big loss. This leaves space for problems that might come in the future. There is a good chance that there will be a price drop too. I also agree with Sniffynose, it's true that almost every object sells for way more than the materials and components are actually worth. But then again, we are talking about components only and nothing else, LogicalDolphin was simply making a point that the components are worth 160$. He didn't say the value of the PSVita is 160$.

Gravity Rush <3

you said you also agree with Sniffynose and you replied to Logical_Dolphin so it would seem you agree with him to. so to me your hole post was confusing.

____________________________________________________________
Want a option to buy avatar's on the ps vita's psn store. Then vote on the link by copying it to your web browser.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 36 of 41 (18 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 11/01/2010
Offline
456 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 23, 2012

Oh sorry. I clicked replay to original post. I didn't mean to reply to Logical_Dolphin himself, just wanted to add a post to this thread. Maybe I should have replied to you...



Message 37 of 41 (18 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/09/2010
Offline
2090 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 23, 2012

D-Roy12 wrote:

Oh sorry. I clicked replay to original post. I didn't mean to reply to Logical_Dolphin himself, just wanted to add a post to this thread. Maybe I should have replied to you...

Gravity Rush <3

all I say is try and be more clear because it was kinda confusing to me and if it was not me it could of been Logical_Dolphin or someone else.

____________________________________________________________
Want a option to buy avatar's on the ps vita's psn store. Then vote on the link by copying it to your web browser.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 38 of 41 (18 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 24, 2012

Sniffynose wrote:

Anyone saying the Vita costs $160 to make and should be dropped in price, clearly has issues with comprehension...

The COMPONENTS COST $160..... not to mention the prices are more then likely off (the 3DS was supposedly around $100 worth of parts)

This takes nothing else into consideration, you have a hunk of plastic on your desk and a bunch of components scattered around...

Companies need to pay into research and development, not to mention manufacturing, shipping costs, marketing costs, packaging etc to get to a final price.

People pay $600 for an iPad without batting an eyelid, and guess what? The parts used in the Vita are almost 2x the current tech inside the iPad, time to stop using a number as the basis of item's final value people!

Think about it for a bit, you would probibly die if you realised that the $1,000,000 supercars are made out of $5000.00 worth of metal, it is all down to how it is made and the research and technology used behind it.

Ask people that make master moulds for a living, those blanks can cost well over two hundred thousand dollars to setup and make.

Before you jump to conclusions on ANY product parts breakdown, you have to consider everything involved getting those bare parts and materials formed and assembled into the final product.

I am not just defending the price of the Vita but the price of anything else that has ever been given grief over one of these ridiculous reports, yes the raw materials cost that much (maybe depending on who they got their prices from) but do not at any time relate that to the final product's actual assembled cost to the company.

Sony had also publically stated that they wouldn't even see a profit for 3 years on the Vita at it's current price point, so stop being so ignorant and look into the processes needed to go from start to end instead of ranting about a trivial component price!

What I said was that the components in the Vita apparently cost $160, which was a surprise to me because usually the systems Sony makes the price of the components usually cost more than what the system sells for in the store. This was true when the PS2, PS3, and the PSP when it first came out.

The only thing I added was that Sony could cut the price in the Vita and not take a loss in the hardware, not that it should happen. IMO the only thing that will stimulate a price drop is if there is a poor reception in the US and European markets.

Message 39 of 41 (18 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 24, 2012

11_17_2006a.gif

I added this chart to illustrate what Sony normally does when the make a system, sell a system for less the the cost of the components, even though the PS3 is an extreme case of this.

Also note the estimated cost of manufacturing, which apparently is about 5% of the total cost...

Message 40 of 41 (18 Views)
Reply
0 Likes