Reply
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/09/2010
Offline
2090 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 22, 2012

"Kazuharu Miura, SMBC Nikko Securities analyst has made the prediction that Sony would be losing 5000 yen ($60) for each PlayStation Vita device sold in the market, followed with a decrease to 2500 yen ($30) before the end of the fiscal year in 2013."

he is chop liver I guess.

http://myona.com/2011/08/13/a-60-loss-per-ps-vita-sold-for-sony-analyst/

they are not making a profit my links say otherwise.

really I can dismiss it every day of the week since I got lots of sites all around the Internet saying ps vita is being sold at a loss.

all these sites you posted and even the source all they are is guesstimates on prices of the parts nothing more.

there is more then just parts that make the ps vita you know.

____________________________________________________________
Want a option to buy avatar's on the ps vita's psn store. Then vote on the link by copying it to your web browser.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 11 of 41 (3,206 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 22, 2012

Incagneto wrote:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/06/07/oukin-uk-sony-idUKTRE7567A120110607

http://myona.com/2011/08/13/a-60-loss-per-ps-vita-sold-for-sony-analyst/

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-national/sony-to-sell-playstation-vita-for-a-loss-profitable-3...

btw there is my proof that the ps vita is being sold at a loss. so these numbers you posted are missing some variables.

The problem with those sources you provided is that they were published well before the Vita was actually released. In the source I provided they actually took appart the Vita and analized the component parts and sourced how much they cost.

Before it was commonly believed that Sony was selling the Vita at a loss, but now that someone has had the chance to see one in person and take it apart, that changes things significantly...

Message 12 of 41 (3,206 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 22, 2012

Incagneto wrote:

"Kazuharu Miura, SMBC Nikko Securities analyst has made the prediction that Sony would be losing 5000 yen ($60) for each PlayStation Vita device sold in the market, followed with a decrease to 2500 yen ($30) before the end of the fiscal year in 2013."

he is chop liver I guess.

http://myona.com/2011/08/13/a-60-loss-per-ps-vita-sold-for-sony-analyst/

they are not making a profit my links say otherwise.

really I can dismiss it every day of the week since I got lots of sites all around the Internet saying ps vita is being sold at a loss.

all these sites you posted and even the source all they are is guesstimates on prices of the parts nothing more.

there is more then just parts that make the ps vita you know.

That is a perfectly valid source, however you have to take in consideration WHEN this news story was published. Since that story was published 4 months prior to the Vita launch in Japan it isn't as valid as an acutal teardown cost analaysis after the Vita was released...

Message 13 of 41 (3,206 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/09/2010
Offline
2090 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 22, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Incagneto wrote:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/06/07/oukin-uk-sony-idUKTRE7567A120110607

http://myona.com/2011/08/13/a-60-loss-per-ps-vita-sold-for-sony-analyst/

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-national/sony-to-sell-playstation-vita-for-a-loss-profitable-3...

btw there is my proof that the ps vita is being sold at a loss. so these numbers you posted are missing some variables.

The problem with those sources you provided is that they were published well before the Vita was actually released. In the source I provided they actually took appart the Vita and analized the component parts and sourced how much they cost.

Before it was commonly believed that Sony was selling the Vita at a loss, but now that someone has had the chance to see one in person and take it apart, that changes things significantly...

again do you read? the reports come from sony saying the ps vita is being sold at a loss. again there is more then just parts that are put into the Ps Vita. all your sources come from some random guy that does not even have a source him self.

all come from eurogamer.   he says he got them from   UBM's findings but you should know they say nothing of prices at all.

all they have is this

""Primary Component Listing

  • Sony CXD5315GG – Quad-core processor with two Samsung K4P2G324EC 256 MB Mobile DDR2-S4 SDRAM Memory die (512MB total memory)
  • Toshiba THGBM3G5D1FBAIE - Multichip Memory Package – Memory and Memory Controller
  • Marvell 88W878S-BKB2 - Avastar WLAN/Bluetooth/FM Single-Chip System-on-Chip
  • Fujitsu MB44C026A – Possible Multichannel Switching Controller
  • Sony 1144KM427 – suspected AKM Magnetic Compass
  • Wolfson Micro WM1803E – Audio Codec
  • Qualcomm MDM6200 – Gobi Single-mode Modem
  • Qualcom PM8028 – Power Management IC
  • Toshiba TY890A111222KA - Mobile SDR SDRAM Memory
  • Kionix KXTC9 - Three-axis MEMS accelerometer
  • Avago ACPM-7868 - GSM Power Amplifier
  • Avago ACPM-5005 - W-CDMA Band V Power Amplifier Module 
  • Avago ACPM-5001 - W-CDMA Band I Power Amplifier Module
  • Avago ACPM-5002 - W-CDMA Band II Power Amplifier Module 
  • Avago ACPM-5008 - W-CDMA Band VIII Power Amplifier Module 
  • EPCOS B7429 - SAW Duplexer
  • Sony CXM3555ER - SP10T Antenna Switch Module
  • Atmel MXT224 – 224-Channel Touchscreen Sensor
  • STMicroelectronics 32P10SOD
  • STMicroelectronics  3GA51H - Gyroscope""

I see no pirces do you?

eurogamer made the prices up I do not call that a credible source. eurogamer did not take the ps vita apart at all. again all your links point to eurogamer no one else.

again they also are only the prices of the parts no licencing no R&D no OS costs no prices on how much it costs to put all the parts in there. no cost on marketing no cost on shipping and so on. so yes the ps vita is sold at a loss.

____________________________________________________________
Want a option to buy avatar's on the ps vita's psn store. Then vote on the link by copying it to your web browser.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 14 of 41 (3,206 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/09/2010
Offline
2090 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 22, 2012

oh btw if you read my links at all Kaz Hirai says that they are selling the ps vita at a loss not some random joe.   so again the pricing is missing some figures.

"Kaz Hirai said that the company expects to begin making a profit on their new console within three years." that does not sound like a profit to me. hes a head of sony. 

____________________________________________________________
Want a option to buy avatar's on the ps vita's psn store. Then vote on the link by copying it to your web browser.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 15 of 41 (3,206 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 22, 2012

You don't see the prices in the UBM report, because you have to pay for it, that is what UMB does they do a teardown cost analysis and sell it. Look on that UMB page (on the right) and you will see the link to pay for the report.  Eurogamer paid for it and reported it.

As for "profitability", I am talking purely on a pure unit basis, not overall. I realize that it will take years to recoup the cost of R&D and so forth.

As for my "ability " to read, I could ask you the same thing. You have shown a disturbing pattern of not reading what I have written, and only talking about point that you believe, often without any supporting evidence. Until you have a RECENT source that car refute UBM's findings, then there is not much you can say right now.

I like to keep things as objective as possible, so I welcome information from independent sources other than Sony. Sony isn't likely to say anything that may end up hurting them, and has a history of "bending the truth" when it comes to sensitive matters. The PSN scandal is the most recent occurrence of this.

Also your sarcasm isn't appreciated, try to keep this above-board. When you get frustrated you tend to resort with sarcasm and insults in your responses, and IMO that really makes you look bad...

Message 16 of 41 (3,206 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/09/2010
Offline
2090 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 22, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

You don't see the prices in the UBM report, because you have to pay for it, that is what UMB does they do a teardown cost analysis and sell it. Look on that UMB page (on the right) and you will see the link to pay for the report.  Eurogamer paid for it and reported it.

As for "profitability", I am talking purely on a pure unit basis, not overall. I realize that it will take years to recoup the cost of R&D and so forth.

As for my "ability " to read, I could ask you the same thing. You have shown a disturbing pattern of not reading what I have written, and only talking about point that you believe, often without any supporting evidence. Until you have a RECENT source that car refute UBM's findings, then there is not much you can say right now.

I like to keep things as objective as possible, so I welcome information from independent sources other than Sony. Sony isn't likely to say anything that may end up hurting them, and has a history of "bending the truth" when it comes to sensitive matters. The PSN scandal is the most recent occurrence of this.

Also your sarcasm isn't appreciated, try to keep this above-board. When you get frustrated you tend to resort with sarcasm and insults in your responses, and IMO that really makes you look bad...

I have never insulted anyone. find a post where I insulted anyone.  sarcasm also nope. get moody later in the day most of the time yes. also you need to speak for your self I seen you post alot saying this is how it is with out proof.

I take out proof alot. you on the other hand I have not seen the same results as taking out proof. only one post I have done where I did not take out proof only one single post. all your posts though I have taken out supporting evidence. what have you taken out? also I never said the prices on parts is wrong either in any of my posts now did I? nope I did not.

only thing I'm saying is there is more to it then parts that make up the cost of the system but you still claim the ps vita is being sold at a profit when it is not. all they listed is the parts. I always read your stuff but I do not agree with you.

you always find my posts to push you take my post spin it then argue then agree at the end. even with this one you agreed that sony is selling at a loss because of R&D and so forth witch is what I have said.

about seeing this objectively have you read your posts as of late? they all have the same slant. same subtext. look in the past posts where I even agreed with you. even in some of are disagreements I find out I'm wrong then we move on or I learn something new.

even in this thread people disagree with you but you come and pick me to out of the pack like I am the only one.

so sony had a psn scandal does that change these sites are only taking the prices of the parts nothing else.

____________________________________________________________
Want a option to buy avatar's on the ps vita's psn store. Then vote on the link by copying it to your web browser.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 17 of 41 (3,206 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 08/28/2009
Offline
1362 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 22, 2012

Okay...let me present this extremely intelligent and well thought out argument:

"Who gives a shit."

Message 18 of 41 (3,206 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 22, 2012

This has been the problem, you keep reading into this so called "subtext" I have apparently been saying, which is apparently is only what you are reading into what I am saying, as opposed to what I actually said. You have been absolutely terrible at this in the past, and you should only take what I said at face value. So if you see a "slant" in my posts, it is likely only your imagination.

As far as not agreeing with the prices you stated in post 7: "also these prices were taken out of some guys bum" That doesn't sound like you agree with the estimates to me. That's OK, but don't state that you never did.

As far as the tone of my statement, I am only talking about the cost of the parts in the Vita nothing else. I find this notible because Sony has usually sold systems that sold for LESS than the cost of the parts. Once again there are other costs involved including R&D and marketing, but that would be difficult to monitize without getting the numbers directly from Sony. So there isn't really anything else to discuss here.

After UBM's findings it would be hard to argue that Sony isn't making a profit on the Vita purely on the cost of the parts, factoring in everything else Sony has to do to launch and developing a product, it would take longer for the Vita to reach overall profitability, but it will take less time than it did with the PS3.

You might think I picked you out in this thread but you were the only one to challenge the validity of UMB's findings, and then support it with outdated links.

Even one of your own sources when talking about the Vita, they were only talking about the parts:

"Kazuharu Miura, SMBC Nikko Securities analyst has made the predictionthat Sony would be losing 5000 yen ($60) for each PlayStation Vita device sold in the market, followed with a decrease to 2500 yen ($30) before the end of the fiscal year in 2013. 

This is not the first time Sony will be making a loss on each of their system sold. In 2006, when the PlayStation 3 was unveiled, the Japanese corporation are reported to lose as high as $400 per console shipped. However, the company has now making a profit on each of their console after the price of their components on the PS3 has been decreased, citing a few reports in 2010."

So what I get from that is that he made an educated guess that Sony would be losing money on each Vita sold, which is a reasonable prediction at the time since very little was known about the hardware itself. Now after UBM has done a teardown analysis on the finalized hardware, that is no longer seems to be the case.

The second paragraph is relating the Vita to the loss Sony was making producing the PS3, and it specifically stated they were making a profit because the price of the components have decreased. So this article is clearly only talking about parts only.

I think you are getting hung up on the term "profit", I am only talking parts and not how long it will take the Vita to become profitable to Sony.

And stating "again do you read?" (in post 13) I find very insulting, I believe most people would. You shouldn't have to resort to that to make your point.

Also stating "I see no prices do you?" wreaks of sarcasm IMO, if you had taken time to look over the whole page at UBM, you would have noticed that you would have to pay to get the full report.

So let me summarize again MY point again (without "subtext" this time): Apparently the cost of the parts to make the Vita is less than what they are selling it for, because of this I believe this can allow Sony some room to lower the price (should that need arise) and not take a loss on the manufacturing cost per unit.

Message 19 of 41 (3,206 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 08/28/2009
Offline
1362 posts
 

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita Components Cost $160

Jan 22, 2012

Who cares?  Sony is a business.  They want to make money.  Big fuckin woop.

Message 20 of 41 (3,206 Views)
Reply
0 Likes