Highlighted
Oct 01 2011
By: Wakefulness I Only Post Everything 1306 posts

Report: PlayStation Vita 3G Downloads Limited To 20MB At Japanese Launch

10 replies 8 views Edited Oct 1, 2011

Original Story: http://gamasutra.com/view/news/37564/Report_PlayStation_Vita_3G_Downloads_Limited_To_20MB_At_Japanes...

I was not aware that this basically meant each individual uploaded file (embedded to an HTML file) is scanned before hand and checked to see if the selected file is below 20mb. If it is below 20mb, the PS Vita will download via 3G. If the file is above 20mb, it will not download via 3G and 'only Wi-fi only download' notice might pop up (or w/e the equivalent is). This is on the NTT Docomo plan for the 3G+Wi-fi vita which offers hourly plans at 128 kbps download for 20 or 100 hours (the 100 hour plan can do a full 14 mbps and 5.7 mbps for 3 hours).

Announcements for the 3G plan on the US PS Vita have not been revealed, yet.

I do not expect big deals from AT&T but, they are losing eyeOS customers (due to Verizon), have been one of the main phone/data providers for Sony Ericcson and,  this will be their first forey into wireless network gaming. At the very least, the 3G plan AT&T and SCEA will be revolutionary in that it will be gaming oriented and not totally social network oriented. I am intrigued but, not optimistic about what comes from the 3G plan for US.

Edit:

But, I am stil going to purchase the PS Vita 3G+Wifi version due to it having the option of 3G data plans as well as GPS.

Message 1 of 11 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8180 posts

Re: Report: PlayStation Vita 3G Downloads Limited To 20MB At Japanese Launch

Oct 1, 2011

Wakefulness wrote:

I am stil going to purchase the PS Vita 3G+Wifi version due to it having the option of 3G data plans as well as GPS.

Same.

Also, Downloading a single page element more than 20MB over 128kbps would be annoyingly slow. According to this calculator, a 20MB file downloaded over 128kbps with a realistic 10% 3G overhead would take --- wait for it --- 23 minutes.

Would you want to wait around 23 minutes while waiting for a stupid Video Advertisement or whatever bloated BS the webmasters put in to load?

Message 2 of 11 (8 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Oct 1, 2011

Doppelgangergang wrote:

Wakefulness wrote:

I am stil going to purchase the PS Vita 3G+Wifi version due to it having the option of 3G data plans as well as GPS.

Same.

Also, Downloading a single page element more than 20MB over 128kbps would be annoyingly slow. According to this calculator, a 20MB file downloaded over 128kbps with a realistic 10% 3G overhead would take --- wait for it --- 23 minutes.

Would you want to wait around 23 minutes while waiting for a stupid Video Advertisement or whatever bloated BS the webmasters put in to load?

It is just a code which kind of says there is a 20MB file DL limit. The actual radio signal (and decryption) in the 3G module is what will drive the experience. No, NTT Docomo's 20 hour plan is not tempting for the scenario you presented. For transfering cloud saves, 24/7 cloud game saving (in the coverage and while in the plan) is very convientent.

And Japan is actually going to ship the first 500k (3G+Wi-fi model) PS Vita's with the 100 hour plan so, super convienent for them.

Message 3 of 11 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
524 posts

Oct 1, 2011

Um, wow. Now, I wonder why anyone but the biggest Facebook fanatic will be getting a 3G version... Seriously.

No online play. Downloads 20 MB or below. No prepaid plans announced for the US.

Bummer, dood.

Pro skill. Definition: Being too sexy at something for your own good.
Message 4 of 11 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Oct 1, 2011

Ya. i think im leaning to a wifi only model right now, considering the only 3g uses that have been descibed, like you described.

Message 5 of 11 (8 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Oct 1, 2011

delkata777 wrote:

. . . No prepaid plans announced for the US.

The plans have not been announced at all. What would make you think there are no prepaid plans?

Message 6 of 11 (8 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Oct 1, 2011

hawkeystar wrote:

Ya. i think im leaning to a wifi only model right now, considering the only 3g uses that have been descibed, like you described.

Regarding the 3G plan, I did not really describe anything that is fact. Why? There are no plans revealed for the US announced, yet.

What is going to happen is that whatever comes from AT&T will be a big deal and that will affect what Sony does with the 3G+Wi-fi PS Vita models. There might not be a 20mb cap for downloads, or there might be more games in the US that use 3G in a different way in games than Japanese titles, etc, etc.

The only thing known is that AT&T will be a big catalyst in terms of how the PS Vita plays via connecting to online networks (on 3G).

And, again, I am buying the 3G+Wi-fi because of the GPS and the option of connecting to a 3G network when I feel like it. It is the best model available. 

Message 7 of 11 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
47 posts

Oct 3, 2011

yes! we need prepaid cards for at&t to activate 3g for a month for example, with their value depending on if u want unlimited data or watever

Message 8 of 11 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
524 posts

Oct 3, 2011

Wakefulness wrote:

delkata777 wrote:

The plans have not been announced at all. What would make you think there are no prepaid plans?

There will be plans. If there are plans, (and there WILL be plans) there might be a miniscule chance of prepaid plans. THAT'S what I think. Read my post again and you'll see that I didn't say there will not be prepaid plans at all, rather, that there are no prepaid plans announced.

Pro skill. Definition: Being too sexy at something for your own good.
Message 9 of 11 (8 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Oct 3, 2011

delkata777 wrote:

Wakefulness wrote:

delkata777 wrote:

There will be plans. If there are plans, (and there WILL be plans) there might be a miniscule chance of prepaid plans. THAT'S what I think. Read my post again and you'll see that I didn't say there will not be prepaid plans at all, rather, that there are no prepaid plans announced.

This is all speculative, whatever anyone here says. There ae many ways to go about it though and people get a general sense about prepaid, contract, hour pay (Japanese 3G plan) so, there are general guidelines.

Still, nothing clear is known about the US plans yet. I still do not know the big way this kind of thing is going to be announced. I suspect a commercial will be made since, the big video game conventions, expo's, etc are all done.

Message 10 of 11 (8 Views)
0 Likes