By: chickenbonetom Treasure Hunter 7613 posts

Remove Thread

[ Edited ]
5 replies 5367 views Edited Jun 3, 2015

Message 1 of 6 (5,367 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6851 posts

Re: What Kind Of Wireless Card Does The PS3 Have In It?

[ Edited ]
Oct 26, 2012

The PS3 has only 1 Wifi and BT chip. its not a card. it is built in with other components like Memory and USB ports.

The Wifi G Chip runs Wifi and BT its allready runs 7 deadicated BT controller channels perminantly, plus a tiny bit of BT for accessories.

The rest is for the Wireless G connection even on a good day the top speed from Wifi G Is only 20Mb/s max total. and thats with less than an inch bettween router and PS3s

The specs have remained the same due to the cost in changing chip design would increase price to customer not lower it.

Don't rely on speed test from the network setting Menu. (it says 5 Mb/s for mine)

Using the media server to copy a Native PS3 Media will give you a true speed test of the wifi...

As it avoids ISP, location and server load problems .

pic96.png 

Your PC can then track how fast the PS3 Wifi takes the data. 

For those no good at there * 8 table. 2.4MB/s is just over 19.2Mb/s but my router is with in spitting distance. 

any other Wifi noise in your areas and performance drops realy fast.

Adding a secondary device using wifi G simulates some one using another PC at tthe same time.... 

No suprise the PS3 Wifi G just lost half the band width. As the router has to feed both devices...

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester
I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

View forum in Full Desktop Power or Mobile Mode

Message 2 of 6 (5,360 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9712 posts

Oct 26, 2012
Message 3 of 6 (5,336 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7613 posts

Re:

[ Edited ]
Jun 3, 2015

Message 4 of 6 (5,323 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Oct 27, 2012

chickenbonetom wrote:

Good thing I bouyght a 25 Foot cord so I can plug my PS3 Directly into the router cause that's insanley slow.

No its not.......

for 5 and 6 years both my PS3s have been running a wireless connection with ZERO issues, even streaming from my media server.

802.11G has a max bandwidth speed of 54Mbps. I had yet to encounter an issue with wireless G bandwidth limits when my entire home was still running G, before upgrading to N

Furiously Chaosing
Message 5 of 6 (5,316 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6851 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 27, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

802.11G has a max bandwidth speed of 54Mbps.

In a lab with metal to metal contact of transmitter and reciever from 2 devices it can do 54Mb/s.

In real world with devices back to back,with only 1 mm apart it never does. Because parts are not made to "in the lab" standards.

Wifi G was redesigned to a New standard of wifi G+ to actualy live up to the press and braodcast longer distances..

Even Wifi N Real world use is not 100Mb/s Thats why it was redesigned to Wifi N+ and Wifi nimo "in the lab"  300Mb/s as the real worlds of Wifi N use was under 80Mb/s. 

The wifi standards are not met "out side the lab" as other technology causes interference... When added to distance, the drop in speed is realy quick...

When "Playback" Media server was being beta tested on this forum with PS3 hardwired and laptops wireless on Wifi G no bodys got near the mythical 54Mb/s mark even for expensive laptops... 

Spoiler

Transfer content in speed this order..

The 1000 LAN wired is the fastest.

Then USB2 HDD. 

Then Wifi N+ ( get an ethernet gaming adapter )

Then USB pen drives (High speed Chips cost to much and very few reach HDD drive read speeds)

Then 100 LAN

Then Wifi G+

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester
I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

View forum in Full Desktop Power or Mobile Mode

Message 6 of 6 (5,302 Views)
0 Likes