Lombax Warrior
252 posts

Re: Anyone Else Annoyed The PS4 won't Have B/C For PS3/PSN Games?

Feb 27, 2013

bitSoul91 wrote:
more like "each sold seperately" in a digital way, i would by ps4 in the next 5 to 6 years just like i did with the ps3... i bought it just last year look how late i am Smiley Sad

The PSVita rewarded gamers that bought PSP games digitally by allowing you to play 99% of those games on the Vita.   However if you owned a PSP, physical games were gone.

I imagine the PS4 will follow suit, meaning it will play any digital PS3 and digital PS2 game, as well as any PS1 game and physical PS1 discs, however, physical PS3 and PS2 games could be unplayable, meaning if you have a fat 60GB CECHA01 PS3, don't retire it!   Just like the PSP, don't retire it!

Not every game will be offered digitally.   For example, Crysis Core Final Fantasy VII and Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, will NEVER be digital downloads.   Pretty sure Phantasy Star Portable 2 is in the same category.

For the PS3, all those sports games pre-2010 will not be digital content.

A lot of people hated EA for making digital gaming popular, however, in the same breath, could be labeled geniuses because if the downloadable content is playable(streamable, as well as DOWNLOADABLE) onto a Vita or the PS4, then you only have to buy the game once, instead of both a physical and digital download.

Speaking of digital downloads, if you are a Vita owner, a lot of Sony games are very cheap if you are a plus member on the Vita.   We're talking 7.99-18.99.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Please Subscribe to my Youtube page!
https://www.youtube.com/user/HollywoodShono?feature=mhee
Message 31 of 66 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Feb 27, 2013

people really need to lay off the BC complaints as it has got very OLD...if you want to play your old games then keep the system to play them on...now was that so hard??  i thought of that all by myself in under 3 seconds...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 32 of 66 (143 Views)
Lombax Warrior
252 posts

Feb 27, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

CTBN wrote:

I guess don't allow it because they think everyone should own all their consoles by now. When the ps3 hits 199.99, I'll be buying another PS3 console.

Thats not why.... 

The architecture of the PS3 is completely different than what the PS4 is going to be.

Thats like asking someone to put a 2013 Viper V10 engine into a 1910 Ford Model T frame.

X86x64 is also a lot more of an open platform, much like Windows is.   Which means you will see the same quality games that a PC possesses.   What this also means is that it will be easier to emulate the PS3, and PS2, assuming they want to go that route.    Will it be done?   Probably not, as it's very difficult to "emulate" the Emotion Engine, or Cell Processor.   In fact, in order to make PS2 games a digital release, you have to completly redo the game.

However, by going this format, they CAN choose to allow downloaded games to work, and there is already a pretty decent sized library of PS3 games.   This could be what they mean as far as Gaikal streaming.   NO backwards compatibility, but rewarding gamers that choose to download their games instead of play the new and used game market.

Expect the Playstation 3 to be supported for at least 5 more years.   The PS2 still had a decent amount of games coming out 4 years after the PS3 was released, and was not discontinued until January 2013, the only reason being you couldn't find this system anywhere in stores.   At $99, people chose PS2's over DVD players.   Think of PS3's as a Smart Blu Ray Player capable of playing games.

While the PS3 started slower than the PS2, expect it's longevity to be increased until they come out with a format that beats 3D Blu-Ray.   Pricing it too low, and people will buy PS3's over Blu Ray Players.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Please Subscribe to my Youtube page!
https://www.youtube.com/user/HollywoodShono?feature=mhee
Message 33 of 66 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Feb 27, 2013

armyluke wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

I don't have to justify anything to you. You'll believe what you want to believe.

Am I the only one trying to find a reason as why this guy would be at MVP status?

It's just how Sony works, and the "community teams" are no different. They pick people to represent the community based on how much they can popularize what Sony is saying at the moment.

For example, the MAG mvp was chosen based on how much the community team would "trust" the guy to stay on message, not based on what Zipper wanted, or what the community otherwise thought and wanted to focus on. So we got a guy who, when asked anything, would snap at you with a line about how everything is awesome and great with the game, and that the MAG online experiene was just about to flourish and take off into something amazing.

He was also utterly convinced that Socom4 was a perfect online game, that Planetside 2 would make MAG obsolete, and that DUST would change the face of online gaming forever.

What he would not do was take certain real concerns we had - to leverage the competence and interest some of us in the community offered, gladly, in return for a good, playable game - and field them upwards, like most of us thought was the point with the entire position.

And this is basically what has happened with all of Sony's games on the ps3, and why we're seeing Sony making an "orbis" around the xbox360 now. They've hired or selected people based on how much they can "speak the right language" in terms of what marketing believes "gamers want".

Sony used to be a company who had a "what would I personally like to buy, and think is interesting" philosophy. They would make things like the Walkman, or the psp - not because some marketing gnome insisted it would be awesome, but because it would be a neat thing to own, for the people who made it. 

And now - they've been hijacked by people who insist that they should go the "democratic" way, or the way of more calculated supply for existing demands.

Only problem is - they've hired incompetent marketing, and they use their drones as a feedback loop, along with actually using forum-posts as a way to adjust their products directly.

And I'm not making that up, or exaggerating it. Have it from more than one developer, that they had a guy with quotes from Neogaf, and used that to make decisions on extremely late patching to core gameplay mechanics. It's a place where people argue the most insane things on occasion - but ditto-opinion from Gaf was used to "adjust" a game, that otherwise was completely fine.

That's apparently also where Sony has come up with the idea to remove connection filtering in all their online games. Because they only focus on negative feedback, and isolated feedback - instead of trying to fit it into any sort of context.

It's amazing stuff, really. How Sony has managed to commit seppuku by accident, so to speak.

Message 34 of 66 (138 Views)
MVP Support
10910 posts

Feb 27, 2013

BShornock wrote:

1TB PS4 without backwards compatibility -  $399

1TB PS4 with backwards compatibility with physical discs and a memory card reader - $549

Do you seriously think that Sony would sell a PS4 sku that has a PS3 inside it for only $150 more?

If there are two different models, it would likely look more like:

1TB PS4 without B/C - $399

1TB PS4 with B/C - $699

And people would happily trade their PS3s in toward the cost of the B/C model, because that $75 trade in value would bring the cost all the way down to $625, and save a couple of cubic feet on their entertanment shelf.

Add to that the fact that since the B/C PS4 has a PS3 inside of it, it would be subject to serious overheating issues.

But then the solution to that would be to liquid cool it.  Cool idea.  Now you are up to $800-1000 for the B/C model.

Now would I prefer the PS4 to be backward compatible?  Yes, of course I would, but I'm a realist, not a dreamer.  The hardware going into the PS4 is 0% compatible with the hardware from the PS3, and while the PS4's AMD Jaguar 8-core processor is more powerful than the Cell, it is not enough of an upgrade to operate as TWO separate processors (running the PS4 hardware while emulating the PS3's).

I've said it once, and will continue to say so...  if you want to continue playing PS3 games, keep your PS3.  It will not blow up if you put a PS4 next to it on your entertainment shelf.  Most modern HDTVs have multiple HDMI inputs.  It won't hurt anything to keep an extra console around.

Message 35 of 66 (138 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4922 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 27, 2013

Dolgorath wrote:

I still have all my old consoles. I don't see why you can't just hook up your PS3 next to your PS4 and use them both. While I admit BC is nice, it ultimately isn't needed. Also if you have a newer PS3 I very much doubt you have to worry about them breaking and even then..well, Sony still offers repair services for PS2's, so I assume PS3 repairs will be supported for at least 10 or more years to come as far as fatty PS3's go. Slims and Superslims are way more durable and I doubt you have to worry about those models dying.

Also...with the Dualshock 4 lacking a start and select button, I have no idea how you'd even play older games with those controllers.

Backwards compatibility is preferable for several reasons. One, the PS3 and PS4 have upscaling abilities that could improve the resolution of PS1 and PS2 games. PS1 games look better on the PS3 than PS2 games look on the PS2. Two, it's much more convenient to play PS1 and  PS2 games using a wireless controller (Dualshock 3 & 4). Three, it's much more convenient only having one or two consoles instead of having to keep each generation PlayStation console. I have a PS2, PS3 and a PS Vita but I would prefer to just have one handheld console, and one home console. Am I annoyed that the PS4 won't have backwards compatibility? Absolutely! Does Sony care? Absolutely not!

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
210+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 36 of 66 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2275 posts

Feb 27, 2013

why would u want to play older games on such a beast machine ps4 truth is 60 gb ps3's where seriously expensive i wouldn't do that again if you ask me after i bought my ps3 it was annoying to play ps2 games on my 60 gb when i knew this gen games where so much better many people have diffrent opinions but for me is graphic power and how good the game looks with a good story u just cant beat that

Won the ps4 From taco bell!
eGe EV][L GA/\/\][NG E/\/\P][RE
Message 37 of 66 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1515 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 27, 2013

chickenbonetom wrote:

To me that's a bit of a deal breaker right there especially considering I've built up quite a nice little PS3 Game library. I mean yes I can just use 2 Systems but it would have been a comforting thought having the PS4 able to play PS3 games in the event my PS3 ever broke down. Also I like to have the option of B/C as I find it kewl being able to play any playstation game on one console. Who else agrees the PS4 not having B/C for the PS3 or even PSN games for that matter is bull?

I really don't think I want any part of PS3 architecture in my PS4. Think about it .

They will set side by side after I see that at least 5 must have games  have come out for the PS4.

Im real picky on those games too.Im not going to buy a PS4 just for Kill Zone. I liked the Capcom game that looked like Demon-Dark Souls, so that's only two. Id buy Last Gaurdian if that showed up.So by the time I see five I'm sure two will be bargain bin Smiley Happy

We will have a revision on the PS4 model and more bugs will be worked out. Isn't that how it goes?

I have a big enough library that Ill buy another PS3 as back up and If one breaks Ill play  with fixing it myself. Im targeting a 500 gig for 199.00 or less around Black friday time of the  year.

Message 38 of 66 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
158 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 1, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

CTBN wrote:

I guess don't allow it because they think everyone should own all their consoles by now. When the ps3 hits 199.99, I'll be buying another PS3 console.

Thats not why.... 

The architecture of the PS3 is completely different than what the PS4 is going to be.

Thats like asking someone to put a 2013 Viper V10 engine into a 1910 Ford Model T frame.

speak for yourself, last post before me was on few days before me so this topic stands and I think you should take your own advice rude. nevermind, that's your signaure ... uh

Message 39 of 66 (108 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Mar 1, 2013

Who ever thinks that it would be a waist or too costly is not smart "RETARDED" B/C is just code the eye would still read it< it cost virtually nothing in the long run and maybe just a copy and paste.  I would only be annoyed if they didn't make the type games I play.  For example call of duty.... There better be a new one when it comes out, I'll let them slide for 45 days after the release.  I'd still be playing Black ops 2 on my ps3)if it doesn't die on me< I have the first available ps3 in USA (4 USB slots 8 layer CPU) and take good care of it.  Hopefully the CPU chip is Ridiculous and allow multi boot.... I would love to play PC games on a sick console that is better than any desktop (Tower)< probably render them obsolete, because if I was them and did that noooooooooooooooobody would buy desktops anymore Sony would be making $$$$ and crap on the game heavily with a big steamer.  Goodbye! $600 - $2000 YEARLY for desktop tower upgrades,  HELLO ps4 that is a fraction of the size, faster, and just better in every way.  yeah.... i can't wait.

Message 40 of 66 (105 Views)
0 Likes