Reply
First Son
Registered: 01/09/2012
Offline
10 posts
 

Re: Remote Play Features & Support List ?

Feb 7, 2012

I beleive I read somewhere that around the launch window, the remote play feature could be used freely on any PS3 game. If I find my source I will post it.

Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/kannibalizer
Photobucket
Message 11 of 44 (22 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/27/2008
Offline
5189 posts
 

Re: Remote Play Features & Support List ?

Feb 7, 2012

Arthur_Kannibal wrote:

I beleive I read somewhere that around the launch window, the remote play feature could be used freely on any PS3 game. If I find my source I will post it.

The PS3 firmware update allowed it to be available to all PS3 games, it is just upto the developers to program it into their games or patch it.

From what I understand the old PSP version of 'Remote Play' was fully programmed into each game as required, this new version has some of it in the firmware and the rest in the game code, this is to make it easier for developers to implement.

Message 12 of 44 (22 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 07/28/2009
Offline
29 posts
 

Re: Remote Play Features & Support List ?

Feb 8, 2012

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

Arthur_Kannibal wrote:

I beleive I read somewhere that around the launch window, the remote play feature could be used freely on any PS3 game. If I find my source I will post it.

The PS3 firmware update allowed it to be available to all PS3 games, it is just upto the developers to program it into their games or patch it.

From what I understand the old PSP version of 'Remote Play' was fully programmed into each game as required, this new version has some of it in the firmware and the rest in the game code, this is to make it easier for developers to implement.

This is pretty frustrating because, from what I understand, Sony has the capability to make all games available via remote play whether each game is patched or not (can anyone confirm this?). Because, how many developers are really going to go back and patch their games for remote play that are older than say 6 months old or so? I would guess probably some, but not many.

I'm on the fence for a Vita right now and universal remote play probably would have been the tipping point for me. Only 1 TV in my house that gets shared between me and my GF. And some remote PS3 play would have been nice for when the TV is held hostage for "Teen Mom" and "Say Yes to the Dress" etc.

Message 13 of 44 (22 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 02/08/2012
Offline
2 posts
 

Re: Remote Play Features & Support List ?

Feb 8, 2012

Ceodore wrote:

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

Arthur_Kannibal wrote:

I beleive I read somewhere that around the launch window, the remote play feature could be used freely on any PS3 game. If I find my source I will post it.

The PS3 firmware update allowed it to be available to all PS3 games, it is just upto the developers to program it into their games or patch it.

From what I understand the old PSP version of 'Remote Play' was fully programmed into each game as required, this new version has some of it in the firmware and the rest in the game code, this is to make it easier for developers to implement.

This is pretty frustrating because, from what I understand, Sony has the capability to make all games available via remote play whether each game is patched or not (can anyone confirm this?). Because, how many developers are really going to go back and patch their games for remote play that are older than say 6 months old or so? I would guess probably some, but not many.

I'm on the fence for a Vita right now and universal remote play probably would have been the tipping point for me. Only 1 TV in my house that gets shared between me and my GF. And some remote PS3 play would have been nice for when the TV is held hostage for "Teen Mom" and "Say Yes to the Dress" etc.

Based on the video that many of us had seen on Youtube of the hacked PS3  and the Vita remote playing games like BF3 and RDR, that leads me to believe that developers don't really need to program support for it into their software, but that Sony needs to implement this into both the PS3/Vita firmware to be used with all games. Support from developers directly related to the remote gameplay i'm sure would add to the experience, but as we have already seen, it is doable without that support. (I'm basing this on the fact that I doubt RDR if any of those other games were built with the support.)

This has me on the fence for a Vita. I do a lot of traveling, so if I could pickup and remote play some CoD or BF3 while on a flight or on the road that would have me sold on it. On the other hand making me purchase games for a console that I wouldn't play outside of traveling is kind of a bummer. I'm sure there are some great titles that I would pick up like Uncharted, but for the most part I would rather be playing my PS3 titles.

Message 14 of 44 (22 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/27/2008
Offline
5189 posts
 

Re: Remote Play Features & Support List ?

Feb 9, 2012

DuetschBag wrote:

Based on the video that many of us had seen on Youtube of the hacked PS3  and the Vita remote playing games like BF3 and RDR, that leads me to believe that developers don't really need to program support for it into their software, but that Sony needs to implement this into both the PS3/Vita firmware to be used with all games. Support from developers directly related to the remote gameplay i'm sure would add to the experience, but as we have already seen, it is doable without that support. (I'm basing this on the fact that I doubt RDR if any of those other games were built with the support.)

This has me on the fence for a Vita. I do a lot of traveling, so if I could pickup and remote play some CoD or BF3 while on a flight or on the road that would have me sold on it. On the other hand making me purchase games for a console that I wouldn't play outside of traveling is kind of a bummer. I'm sure there are some great titles that I would pick up like Uncharted, but for the most part I would rather be playing my PS3 titles.

That hacked stuff is not using the full remote play from I understand, but I do not know enough about it to make a definitive comment. The current remote play titles that people are playing (from the PSP list I posted earlier) on their PSVitas is using PSP mode remote play, that is a lower resolution version compared to PSVita version, it is just upscaled to fit the PSVita screen.

As for your desire to play CoD or BF3 remotely, forget it with any current technology, the lag is too bad as the PS3 has to encode and crate the audio and video stream, send it to your PSVita (on an airplane!) and then you have to respond with a control which is hen sent back your PS3 to respond, by then the bad guy has moved and you shoot a tree.

Message 15 of 44 (22 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 02/08/2012
Offline
2 posts
 

Re: Remote Play Features & Support List ?

Feb 13, 2012

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

DuetschBag wrote:

Based on the video that many of us had seen on Youtube of the hacked PS3  and the Vita remote playing games like BF3 and RDR, that leads me to believe that developers don't really need to program support for it into their software, but that Sony needs to implement this into both the PS3/Vita firmware to be used with all games. Support from developers directly related to the remote gameplay i'm sure would add to the experience, but as we have already seen, it is doable without that support. (I'm basing this on the fact that I doubt RDR if any of those other games were built with the support.)

This has me on the fence for a Vita. I do a lot of traveling, so if I could pickup and remote play some CoD or BF3 while on a flight or on the road that would have me sold on it. On the other hand making me purchase games for a console that I wouldn't play outside of traveling is kind of a bummer. I'm sure there are some great titles that I would pick up like Uncharted, but for the most part I would rather be playing my PS3 titles.

That hacked stuff is not using the full remote play from I understand, but I do not know enough about it to make a definitive comment. The current remote play titles that people are playing (from the PSP list I posted earlier) on their PSVitas is using PSP mode remote play, that is a lower resolution version compared to PSVita version, it is just upscaled to fit the PSVita screen.

As for your desire to play CoD or BF3 remotely, forget it with any current technology, the lag is too bad as the PS3 has to encode and crate the audio and video stream, send it to your PSVita (on an airplane!) and then you have to respond with a control which is hen sent back your PS3 to respond, by then the bad guy has moved and you shoot a tree.

I understand that the hacked Vita/PS3 videos are just that, hacks, but it definitely shows the potential of being able to play games like BF3. Also, I think that it would definitly be possible to play those games on the current technology. Shown in the Youtube videos, it works out pretty nicely even though it's not perfect. And after seeing a service like OnLive being able to stream games over an internet connection I could see this being highly plausible.

Anyone who uses the OnLive service, knows that the quality is no where near as great as purchasing the same game off of Steam or at retail. However the concept of streaming is there and it works. Being able to play games anywhere (even though you are taking a hit with the less than perfect visuals), to me, is worth it. In the case of remote play at least. As long as you have a strong Wifi connection on both ends (or wired in case of the PS3) I don't see why both pieces of harware couldn't pull it off. That leads me back to what I was talking about in my previous post; while we seen that the hacks make this possible, Sony adding some support for this into current firmware would be a great thing. Even if it isn't perfect at first, giving feedback to help polish the experience would make it all that much better.

I don't think it's a matter of "will it work" since those videos prove that there is a possiblity of having a polished system for this to work, but I think the real question is "will/should Sony implement this feature?"

Message 16 of 44 (22 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 08/07/2009
Offline
13737 posts
 

Re: Remote Play Features & Support List ?

Feb 13, 2012

DuetschBag wrote:

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

DuetschBag wrote:

Based on the video that many of us had seen on Youtube of the hacked PS3  and the Vita remote playing games like BF3 and RDR, that leads me to believe that developers don't really need to program support for it into their software, but that Sony needs to implement this into both the PS3/Vita firmware to be used with all games. Support from developers directly related to the remote gameplay i'm sure would add to the experience, but as we have already seen, it is doable without that support. (I'm basing this on the fact that I doubt RDR if any of those other games were built with the support.)

This has me on the fence for a Vita. I do a lot of traveling, so if I could pickup and remote play some CoD or BF3 while on a flight or on the road that would have me sold on it. On the other hand making me purchase games for a console that I wouldn't play outside of traveling is kind of a bummer. I'm sure there are some great titles that I would pick up like Uncharted, but for the most part I would rather be playing my PS3 titles.

That hacked stuff is not using the full remote play from I understand, but I do not know enough about it to make a definitive comment. The current remote play titles that people are playing (from the PSP list I posted earlier) on their PSVitas is using PSP mode remote play, that is a lower resolution version compared to PSVita version, it is just upscaled to fit the PSVita screen.

As for your desire to play CoD or BF3 remotely, forget it with any current technology, the lag is too bad as the PS3 has to encode and crate the audio and video stream, send it to your PSVita (on an airplane!) and then you have to respond with a control which is hen sent back your PS3 to respond, by then the bad guy has moved and you shoot a tree.

I understand that the hacked Vita/PS3 videos are just that, hacks, but it definitely shows the potential of being able to play games like BF3. Also, I think that it would definitly be possible to play those games on the current technology. Shown in the Youtube videos, it works out pretty nicely even though it's not perfect. And after seeing a service like OnLive being able to stream games over an internet connection I could see this being highly plausible.

Anyone who uses the OnLive service, knows that the quality is no where near as great as purchasing the same game off of Steam or at retail. However the concept of streaming is there and it works. Being able to play games anywhere (even though you are taking a hit with the less than perfect visuals), to me, is worth it. In the case of remote play at least. As long as you have a strong Wifi connection on both ends (or wired in case of the PS3) I don't see why both pieces of harware couldn't pull it off. That leads me back to what I was talking about in my previous post; while we seen that the hacks make this possible, Sony adding some support for this into current firmware would be a great thing. Even if it isn't perfect at first, giving feedback to help polish the experience would make it all that much better.

I don't think it's a matter of "will it work" since those videos prove that there is a possiblity of having a polished system for this to work, but I think the real question is "will/should Sony implement this feature?"

The above post just shows why so many hacked their PSPs.

The PSP had great potential, and could support so much more than Sony actually put on it.

If Sony does not implement the Remote Play support with enough support (aka, they end up not being able to remote play the major AAA titles), then I'd expect a bunch of people are going to attempt to exploit the Vita and make it work (or exploit the PS3, whichever is the culprit)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 17 of 44 (22 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/27/2008
Offline
5189 posts
 

Re: Remote Play Features & Support List ?

Feb 13, 2012

glaciusx25 wrote:

The above post just shows why so many hacked their PSPs.

The PSP had great potential, and could support so much more than Sony actually put on it.

If Sony does not implement the Remote Play support with enough support (aka, they end up not being able to remote play the major AAA titles), then I'd expect a bunch of people are going to attempt to exploit the Vita and make it work (or exploit the PS3, whichever is the culprit)

But it is not upto Sony, they have provided the way (which I guess why the hack works) it is just up to developers.

Message 18 of 44 (22 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 08/07/2009
Offline
13737 posts
 

Re: Remote Play Features & Support List ?

Feb 13, 2012

Sony, devs, whatever.

Regardless, if the big names don't support it, then that just adds to the list of "reasons why to exploit the Vita". Which is a list we don't want growing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 19 of 44 (22 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 09/05/2003
Offline
20 posts
 

Re: Remote Play Features & Support List ?

Feb 18, 2012

Well, I found this thread in the hopes of answering some of my questions about VITA's remote play capability. I've been doing PSP->PS3 Remote play since I purchased my slim about 3 decembers ago. Not once was I able to play any PS3 game on there but I understood why. When I picked up my VITA on wednesday and opened it up, just after I had set it up, I went straight for the Remote Play option. It felt like I was just running on my PSP again. I hope the reason for this is just due to the fact that the official launch isn't until next wednesday and developers are waiting to release patches for games that support Remote Play until that day. Otherwise I will be heavily disappointed. It makes nearly no sense for them not to exploit a feature that seems pretty easy to achieve via simplistic hacks and such. Not to mention it's one of their prime and most promoted functions of the VITA. For them not to deliver on something so many people are anticipating would just be a blatant absolute let down. That's why I have more faith in the fact that VITA FBE purchasers are just getting to test drive the system a week before release rather than having a hand at all the prizes and goodies that were meant to come out on Day 1. If that's not true though, I'll be royally pissed.

Message 20 of 44 (22 Views)
Reply
0 Likes