Nov 20 2011
By: hcpw First Son 9 posts
Accepted Solution

Reimbursement

14 replies 41 views Edited Nov 20, 2011

Who here has had success with getting reimbursed for a broken PS3 outside of its warranty period?

If so, what was the PS3's issue, who was the retailer, who was the repairer, how long after the warranty was it broken/repaired/reimbursed, and what exact steps did you take to get reimbursed?

If I purchased a PS3 Slim with a 1-year warranty off of amazon.co.uk 2 years ago, would it be likely or even possible to get reimbursed for a YLOD repair on it?

Any advice is appreciated, and I think it could also help others who have broken PS3s and are considering reimbursement.

Message 1 of 15 (41 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7424 posts

Re: Reimbursement

Nov 20, 2011

I don't think there's any chance of getting a reimbursement after the warranty.  You could sell it to someone who is interested in parts or wants to repair it.

Message 2 of 15 (41 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29423 posts

Nov 20, 2011

You want "reimbursment" for a repair you had outside of the warranty period? I'm sorry, but you're not going to get anything. They give you a one year warranty, which is the industry standard. Sony held up their end. After that, you're on your own.

Message 3 of 15 (41 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 20, 2011

Actually, some people have indeed gotten reimbursed after the warranty period by proving, with the help of an engineer's report and possibly the SOGA, that the PS3 broke due to a manufacturing defect.

So I am sure it is possible to get reimbursed after the warranty period, but it might depend on factors like those I noted.

I am sure that in my case, the PS3 Slim broke due to a manufacturing defect. A one year warranty does not seem to be sufficient for one of these consoles considering their common defective quality. The question is whether it would be possible to get reimbursed in my case dependent on factors such as the retailer, etc.

Message 4 of 15 (41 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29423 posts

Nov 20, 2011

hcpw wrote:

Actually, some people have indeed gotten reimbursed after the warranty period by proving, with the help of an engineer's report and possibly the SOGA, that the PS3 broke due to a manufacturing defect.

So I am sure it is possible to get reimbursed after the warranty period, but it might depend on factors like those I noted.

I am sure that in my case, the PS3 Slim broke due to a manufacturing defect. A one year warranty does not seem to be sufficient for one of these consoles considering their common defective quality. The question is whether it would be possible to get reimbursed in my case dependent on factors such as the retailer, etc.

Well in that case I should be getting a check from Volvo for that bum O2 senor I had replaced on my S70.

Are we going to start this again? We had a plethora of topics concerned with the same subject. Here's the thing; You're "sure" that is was a manufacturing defect. Yet you have no proof. There are people who are "sure" of a lot of things, it doesn't mean they are all correct. There's people who are "sure" that our current president wasn't born in the United States, are they right? 

If we go by that logic, defective parts break, therefore all broken parts are "defective". That is simply not the case. That's called faulty cause and effect. Just because B follows A does not mean A caused B. And no, this is not special or different "because it's video games". And saying "but... Microsoft" certainly doesn't apply. Furthermore, if it was a "manufacturing defect" as you claim, then why hasn't it been reported by any reputable news source, and why isn't this problem more widespread? One person out of fifty three MILLION does not constitute a "manufacturing defect".

If you got it fixed then just chalk it up as a loss and move on. Sony doesn't owe you because you want them to be "swell guys", or because you're "sure it was a manufacturing defect". They covered it for a year, that's all they are legally obligated to do. 

Message 5 of 15 (41 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 20, 2011

You're "sure" that is was a manufacturing defect. Yet you have no proof.

If I had a report from an authoritative engineer on the subject, confirming that it was a manufacturing defect, don't you think that should be sufficient as evidence that it is a manufacturing defect?

Furthermore, if it was a "manufacturing defect" as you claim, then why hasn't it been reported by any reputable news source, and why isn't this problem more widespread?

The last time I checked, the issue is quite widespread indeed, and it has been reported by many news sources. I just read at least several articles the other day on it from reputable news sources.

It's very rare to see someone defend Sony so arduously in instances like these.... Hmm....

Message 6 of 15 (41 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29423 posts

Nov 20, 2011

hcpw wrote:

You're "sure" that is was a manufacturing defect. Yet you have no proof.

If I had a report from an authoritative engineer on the subject, confirming that it was a manufacturing defect, don't you think that should be sufficient as evidence that it is a manufacturing defect?
(A an "authoritative engineer" would come from some place like Underwriters Laboratories, or Consumer Reports, or another independent third party who doesn't seek to gain a financial windfall from your claim. If it's some guy you find on the internet who runs a back alley repair shop, then that hardly qualifies as reputable source.)

Furthermore, if it was a "manufacturing defect" as you claim, then why hasn't it been reported by any reputable news source, and why isn't this problem more widespread?

The last time I checked, the issue is quite widespread indeed, and it has been reported by many news sources. I just read at least several articles the other day on it from reputable news sources.
(Oh really? Name them. And no, an internet posting on a message board doesn't qualify as a reputable news source. Give me someone like the BBC, and no, not those ambulance chasers led by that failed game show host Anne Robbins "Watchdog", Reuters, CNN, AP, hell I'll even throw Fox News in for good measure. Come up with a REPUTABLE source and provide a link).

It's very rare to see someone defend Sony so arduously in instances like these.... Hmm....
(The only thing I "defend" arduously is rational thought and common sense. That's something that's not very prevelant in the "gamer" community. Any educated adult would say the exact same thing to you, and would suggest you are chasing a red herring. And no I didn't make that term up).

So far you've provided no other evidence than what amounts to "there's a problem because I believe there's a problem". I'm sorry, but that's not enough.

Message 7 of 15 (41 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 21, 2011

The bitter reality is that Sony is only obligated to fix your console for no charge during the warranty period, and from what you have said they have fulfiled their side of their agreement.

You really have no idea how "widespread" this issue actually is, going by posts you see around the internet isn't good enough, because there are likely much more people whom are not having any problems at all and not posting.

The only senario that I can see that Sony would even replace or re-imburse you, is if there is a SAFETY related issue that could potentially cause injury, and that is not the case here...

Message 8 of 15 (41 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11997 posts

Nov 21, 2011

hcpw wrote:

Another thing: I got in contact with Amazon recently about getting reimbursed for the PS3, and provided them with a copy of the engineer's report during the process. They replied today saying that they can completely reimburse me for the repair. Yep, even though it's 1 year past the warranty expiration date.

Wasn't so hard after all!

pics or it didn't happen...

sorry Cap & Dolphin, couldn't help myself...

Message 9 of 15 (41 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 21, 2011

CaptainAlbator wrote:

(The only thing I "defend" arduously is rational thought and common sense. That's something that's not very prevelant in the "gamer" community. Any educated adult would say the exact same thing to you, and would suggest you are chasing a red herring. And no I didn't make that term up).

So far you've provided no other evidence than what amounts to "there's a problem because I believe there's a problem". I'm sorry, but that's not enough.

Blue Led Status achieved 10-26-2004
9-09-09

Lol, I know what a red herring is mate. Takes me way back to my first philosophy course. I suggest you stop playing out any fantasy you might be having that I am a person you think would warrant your lashes of mockery. It seems to me you might be implying things from my last post that would suggest I am chasing a red herring. Note that in my last sentence, I simply suggested it was very rare (i.e. to me, obviously) to see someone who I perceive to be defending Sony so arduously in instances like these. I can confirm that my intention was nothing more than to note that observation. Please don't get presumptuous over a few words.

Common sense? Well, let's have a look-see, shall we?

- Since its purchase less than 2 years ago, the PS3 was played for an average of 3 hours PER WEEK at MAXIMUM, and no play session was longer than roughly 1.5 hours. The vast majority of play sessions were less than 40 minutes. It never became overheated.

- The PS3 rested comfortably in an open dark-lit area that was always well-ventilated, dust-free and clean.

- It had its own socket in the wall and was protected with surge protection.

- It was never touched or otherwise damaged by any external force, based on what I've seen.

- The vast majority of electronic components in these conditions in my household were purchased years before the purchase of the PS3, were used much more often, and are still going strong, which I think is some support for the possibility that the environment that the PS3 was in was relatively healthy.

Of course, I'm sure you're now inclined to rebut with points like "you have no evidence you took care of it very well, you have no evidence it wasn't damaged by an external force, you only mentioned a set of factors that does not necessarily encompass all possible factors that possibly contributed to it breaking". Unsurprisingly, I indeed have no conclusive evidence for this, and I highly doubt I have listed all possible factors that possibly contributed to it breaking. But I don't think that a lack of conclusive evidence should warrant overriding any common sense telling me that something might be inherently wrong with the PS3 (mine, specifically) when considering the factors I mentioned. Common sense tells me that a manufacturing defect might be a cause of the PS3 breaking in this instance (again, mine, specifically).

The fact that most PS3s haven't had this issue (if it is a fact) does not mean that my PS3 or a subset of PS3s does not have a manufacturing defect which should not be accounted for in some way by the creators, even if it's past the warranty period and they are not legally obligated to do so. I should note what standard I am using with "should" in this case. According to law, perhaps they should not have to account for it. But according to a certain standard of ethics, they should. Ethics often loses its battle against the law, and perhaps I did not display enough common sense to attempt to battle it, but I thought it would be worth a shot to find out whether it could work in my specific case as it has worked for others.

Another thing: To the naggers out there, take a chill pill. I simply came on here for some quick advice on possibly getting reimbursed for a broken PS3. Constant bickering is not welcome here, just some constructive advice to support the ultimate goal in this thread of getting the PS3 reimbursed.

Another thing: I got in contact with Amazon recently about getting reimbursed for the PS3, and provided them with a copy of the engineer's report during the process. They replied today saying that they can completely reimburse me for the repair. Yep, even though it's 1 year past the warranty expiration date.

It wasn't so hard after all!

Message 10 of 15 (41 Views)
0 Likes