Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 07 2013
By: DarthBEWD Wastelander 709 posts

Reflowing of the fat PS3

13 replies 188 views Edited Jan 7, 2013
I have had my 80GB(since changed to 500) since it came out, back in 2008 or so. I finally got the YLOD, after years of worrying about it. It wasn't even me that was playing it when it happened either, but my 17 year son (who hid the issue and tried to pretend he didn't know how it happened) which really bummed me out. Moot point as I was able to "reflow" it with a co-worker and it works just fine. What I don't understand is why the fan now screams at me. it likes to just go in to hyperdrive for seemly no reason. It will go back and forth doing this at very random intervals. Anyone else have this problem? I can live with it, but should I is the question. Thanks
Money will buy you a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.
If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 14 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
241 posts

Re: Reflowing of the fat PS3

Jan 7, 2013

Have you added thermal paste to the CPU? If you haven't then clean off the old one with alcohol and paste new thermal paste to it and it should do the trick.:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 14 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
709 posts

Jan 7, 2013
I should have mentioned that, I did clean off the old paste and applied new stuff, Cooler Master ThermalFusion 400
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 14 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
241 posts

Jan 7, 2013

What about cleaning out the dust on the PS3?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 14 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
709 posts

Jan 7, 2013
oh yes, dusted every surface inside there while it was apart, to make sure it was clean before reassembly occurred. Used a acid brush and a rag. Didn't have a vacuum handy but I was meticulous. I got every nook and cranny I could find. I joked that I should wrap the vents with cheesecloth to help prevent the build up inside also. Kinda seriously considering it
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 14 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
241 posts

Jan 7, 2013

Try this here. Also try keeping your PS3 away from the wall, atleast maybe 6 inches or more I suggest, to avoid heat coming back in. Keep it in an open coolish area.:smileyhappy: ( Basically that link I pasted suggest to put some cans or something underneath it to have air flow through the bottom of it to keep it cool.)

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 14 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
709 posts

Mar 27, 2013

so did the lifting thing, didn't work.  My temporary solution also has failed but it isn't like before.  Now, the fan spins up and then after about five minutes tells me that my PS3 is overheating and shutting it down is advised.  I took it apart again to clean it and inspect every screw.  Everything is tight, everything is clean.  Am I at the point where I just send it back to Sony (had it for five years) or do I just buy a new one and put my existing HDD in that one?  Comments and suggestions are being asked for.  Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 14 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1739 posts

Mar 27, 2013

I sent mine in at the beginning of the Year for the same YOLD Light thing... 

I got the same model back, but it was a different PS3... It still does everything it did before... 

But I had to pay enough to just go & buy a new PS3 from a Store for this Fee of mine... 

Difference is, I can still play B/C Games, Store Bought PS3 would not... 

There for, I still feel like it was worth the Spending Money... 

Plus, the PS3 runs brand New, clean as a Wistle, & much better then it did when the YOLD was there, @_@ 

P. S.: Problem is, with Sony bringing out the PS4 around the Corner...
Are you even able to still get a PS3 from Sony for sending yours in? 

That would be the biggest thing i'd be worrying about right now... Is if you could even get it Fixed at all,
or if Sony would just take it, & in return say that they are no longer working on these Consoles anymore,
& there is nothing they can do, ~_~

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 14 (93 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
47422 posts

Mar 27, 2013

DarthBEWD wrote:
oh yes, dusted every surface inside there while it was apart, to make sure it was clean before reassembly occurred. Used a acid brush and a rag. Didn't have a vacuum handy but I was meticulous. I got every nook and cranny I could find. I joked that I should wrap the vents with cheesecloth to help prevent the build up inside also. Kinda seriously considering it

when you had it open for cleaning did you actually clean out the inside part of the cooling fan itself or did you just dust the surfaces?

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 14 (72 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

Mar 27, 2013
Same thing happened to my 60GB (was upgraded to 320GB). Once I "re-flowed" it, it would work for a couple months, then I'd have to do it again. It was always a little louder once it started, but not really noticable.

After a few reflows, I finally did it one last time, put the 60GB HDD back in it, and sold it on ebay as a "re-flowed/repaired" 60GB PS3. Then bought a PS3 320GB (upgrad to 1TB) and it's been fine since. (I also have a 2nd PS3 Slim 320GB now too.)

My advice, if you still have a PS2 around the house for your old games, dump the 80GB and pick up a new one before it starts to become a pain the arse.:smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 14 (65 Views)
0 Likes