Jul 23 2012
By: CadillacMatt95 First Son 1 posts

Reflow fixed it for 2 minutes

1 replies 64 views Edited Jul 23, 2012

Hey all...

So I have a launch 80Gb PS3 that YLOD'd on me about a year ago. No start-up, the fan would run for a few seconds and it would instantly turn off. It sat relatively untouched until a few days ago, when I pulled it out of the closet and decided to try and fix it.

Following the re-flowing tutorial on YouTube, I disassembled the unit, re-flowed the processor chips with a heat gun, and applied fresh thermal paste. I closed everything up, plugged the unit in and... The thing starts up!! I'm at the XMB, going through my settings, when BAM! the unit YLODs again.

I turn it back on, it boots back up to the XMB. I take advantage of this time I have and eject the Dead Rising 2 disc that had been stuck in the unit for over a year. Before I can do anything else, BOOM. YLOD again.

I give it a few minutes and turn the unit on again. It boots up, displays a screen telling me that the Playstation was not properly turned off last time, and before I can select any options POW I get YLOD again. Any subsequent attempt to start the unit failed immediately with a YLOD.

Frustrated at having the stupid thing up and running for a whole two minutes, and then crap out, I disassembled the unit once more, cleaned the thermal paste off, re-flowed the processors a second time, and re-applied thermal paste. I put it all back together, turned it on, and nothing but YLOD city.

So at this point I'm assuming my original problem was in fact due to the processors, since the thing worked for a few minutes at least. Does this mean the motherboard is toast? Or might I look elsewhere? I triple-checked all the ribbon cables and connectors inside the unit and everything is hooked up correctly.

Thanks for any help or insight on this issue.

Message 1 of 2 (64 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Reflow fixed it for 2 minutes

Jul 23, 2012
IMO the problem is that this type of fix is only temporary at best, especially if you haven't done this type of repair before. To get the best results you really need to follow specific temperature profiles that you just can't adequately accomplish with a heat gun.

I don't suggest you attempt to repair it again yourself, you should have a place like Endless Electronics or Gophermods look at it, and perform a reball repair, which lasts much longer than the reflow type repair that you have been attempting...
Message 2 of 2 (60 Views)