Highlighted
May 26 2014
By: GTAMOBSTERX4 Treasure Hunter 5539 posts

Recently got a PS4 - An Honest Opinion from a Somewhat Expert

19 replies 503 views Edited May 26, 2014

Only recently got a PS4 due to being too busy to play with one. First off I'll say I've heard a lot of people say the PS and Xbox systems are more alike than ever - I could not more so disagree. They are in fact more different than ever. Being a PS user all these years, while I was tempted by some of the new Xbox features, I went with the PS brand (yet again) - mainly because I have always been a Sony user. Here is an honest opinion (and a little bit of a comparison) of the PS4 which may be worth reading if you are considering one or to those who have one, might make you realize some downfalls of the console which you were unaware of.

First let's consider the physical design and specs. This is perhaps the category with the most things going right for the PS4. Without a doubt the PS4 is the strongest console and actually has more of a significant power edge over its competitor than ever. The GDDR5 RAM was absolutely a necessary decision and should have been a given - however since Microsoft did not capatilze on this, I guess I can applaud Sony for what should have been a no brainer. The GDDR5 will be crucial as the console gets older, especially with the speed and fluidity of the UI. The shape of the console is very appealing, has all the inputs you would expect, and is fairly compact compared to its enormous competitor and previous generation. The controller has some improvements, however make no mistake, the PS4's most critical flaw lies in the controller. I've been saying this on this forum since before the PS4 was announced, the analog stick material garbage. For whatever reason, Sony changed the material for the first time on the Dualshock to this inferior material and it is terrible. Every display unit PS4 I've seen has the analog sticks all chewed up. It is not a defect in a batch, it is the material itself and make no mistake, your DS4 analog sticks have the issue and if you use them enough they will tear. I am told Sony is working on a solution to this (new production material I assume) however what they do for the millions who have already purchased their inferior controllers is yet to be seen. How personel at Sony overlooked this is beyond me. Easily the biggest "**bleep**" decision I've seen Sony make over the last decade. This easily tops the Playstation Home fiasco.

The games/exclusives out right now aren't the strongest, but they aren't bad either. Yes, as a shooter lover, I'm jealous of Titanfall, however the games will come and with titles like the Last of Us (and hopefully revive of Socom???), I still firmly believe Sony has the best exclusives out of all three systems - Unless you are a Mario lover, of course. Besides, I can guarantee you that Titanfall 2 will come to PS4.

I've heard a lot of people brag about the PS4 UI and how fast it is - that's great, yeah it's fast, however it's also a disorganized cluster. Microsoft clearly has a vastly superior experience here - both in terms of design and featurues (Skype, multitasking, play CDs, the cloud, etc.). Sony really dropped the bomb on this one with the PS4 having even less featurures than the last gen PS3. No notifications for friends coming online, no customizable wallpapers - heck you can't even arrange the icons! I understand what they are doing with the utilities top row and then the features row, however things like the PSN store should not be in the utilities row, that should be down with the Music Unlimited and the like, you know, since they are both stores? Another pooor choice is putting my game disc all the way to the left of the row and then my library all the way to the right of the row. Why am I cycling through all these usless services like Music Unlimited that I never use to get to my library? And then once we are in the library, what a mess. Demos you downloaded appear here - even after you delete them. I have Call of Duty glitched links to the store asking me to buy the game - essentially advertising their game in my library. What the heck? Seriously who thought this was a good idea. In short, the UI has some great ideas such as the social page, and it is fast, however overall the UI is just a cluster - an absolute mess. If the controllers weren't falling apart, the UI would easily be the greatest flaw of the PS4.

Overall the PS4 is at best a 7/10. It has a lot of things going for it - price, games, superior hardware - things I don't really need to point out as I'm sure most on here know, however make no mistake it has a lot of flaws. The PS4 simply feels rushed - probably cause it is. The truth is the PS3 has held up much better over the last 7 years than the PS2 did when the PS3 game out. It's weird going from the PS3 where it "Only does everything" to a console that does maybe half of what the PS3 did. Sony clearly has the superior gaming hardware and physical elegant design of the system - however Microsoft has a much superior UI and multimedia functionalities. Fortunately, for Sony their problems pretty much all can be fixed with software updates (except for the DS4 analog stick problem) whereas Microsoft will likely be stuck with their downfalls until their next system.

So to the kids trying to decidie which console to get, the truth is neither one is the best. They are more different than ever and both have really great features than the other does not currently have. I went with the PS4 as I have always been a PS fan and I'm hoping Sony does a complete revamp to the UI as it really needs it.

In short the PS4 has a lot of things going for it, but it is far from this "Sony nailed it" console that people are perceiving it to be. Take it from someone who has seen the whole Playstation timeline. Fads in gaming come and go and right now PS4 is "the cool cosnole". Last gen it was the Microsoft console.

A list of serious problems that need addressed:

-PS4 DS4 analog stick material

-PS4 UI - Needs to be organized better and actually be intuitive. We need to be able to sort and organize things.

-PS4 Features - I want my PS4 to be my media hub like how my PS3 was. This means music, videos, apps, etc.

Message 1 of 20 (503 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1080 posts

Re: Recently got a PS4 - An Honest Opinion from a Somewhat Expert

May 26, 2014

Hey there!

Hopefully we will be having folders or sections at least to divide the different contents we have on the system
This features like many others are being considered by Sony and I'm sure that there is a lot to be added in the future that we will love.Updates will come with great features to enjoy the PS4 even more than we do today, we have to power and the tools for sure are out there, it's just a matter of time to see it grow up

Message 2 of 20 (471 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
265 posts

[ Edited ]
May 26, 2014

I am what someone would call a Sony fanboy even though i have an xbox 360 a well. But when people say that the PS4 and Xbox One are similar, they are talking about the system specs primarily. Yeah the PS4 has GDDR5 but they have the same memory, and almost the same processor. The Xbox being underpowered is slowly being fixed though. The removal of the kinect will clear up some power usage. I don't think MS can get past the 3gb ram needed for the OS to run though, but maybe the changes to Windows 8 will fix that issue. Xbox was built for their cloud computing though. It was suppose to be what pushed the xbox over the edge as far as power goes. But that feature isn't there yet and most likely won't be for a while. Also heard that Sony is going to be boosting the power of the PS4 as well.

Back to my original thought thought, yeah the 2 consoles are pretty similar in their hardware, they are designed to be more like a pc now. But can xbox get past their slightly different hardware choices and will they ever get the power needed to top the PS4?....maybe if they ever get their cloud computing running. But I won't hold my breath on that one.

Message 3 of 20 (425 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6011 posts

May 26, 2014

I still have yet to run into a problem with my contoller.  It's hit and miss just like defective units. I've got 360 hours played of BF4 online alone and that's not counting hours played in the campaign on that and KZ along with the Show and some other games and I have no problems with my controller. So saying all of them have or are going to have the problem isn't true. As for the other guy saying stuff about how the Xbone is built around the cloud, well that's fine but the thing is, it doesn't mean much. It's a failed idea until everyone has the same kind of equipment and connection. The infrastructure here in the US is garbage because it's outdated.

Message 4 of 20 (405 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5539 posts

[ Edited ]
May 27, 2014

awtacular wrote:

I still have yet to run into a problem with my contoller.  It's hit and miss just like defective units. I've got 360 hours played of BF4 online alone and that's not counting hours played in the campaign on that and KZ along with the Show and some other games and I have no problems with my controller. So saying all of them have or are going to have the problem isn't true. As for the other guy saying stuff about how the Xbone is built around the cloud, well that's fine but the thing is, it doesn't mean much. It's a failed idea until everyone has the same kind of equipment and connection. The infrastructure here in the US is garbage because it's outdated.

Every single PS4 controller has this problem so unless you have a magical one made out of a different material, I highly doubt your controller does not have this issue. The issue is the material. It's not the same as it use to be and the application process is different. If you look at the rubber coating, it is grey instead of the black DS controllers usually have. Additionally, the surface texture looks like a wrinkley butt (best explanation lol). Take a picture of your sticks with flash and post them. Regardless if they are torn or not, the material used is garbage and how soon your sticks tear depends on how hard you use the sticks/the luck of the draw how good the material was applied on your controller.

Message 5 of 20 (382 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6939 posts

[ Edited ]
May 27, 2014

GTAMOBSTERX4 wrote:

awtacular wrote:

Every single PS4 controller has this problem so unless you have a magical one made out of a different material, I highly doubt your controller does not have this issue. The issue is the material. It's not the same as it use to be and the application process is different. If you look at the rubber coating, it is grey instead of the black DS controllers usually have. Additionally, the surface texture looks like a wrinkley butt (best explanation lol). Take a picture of your sticks with flash and post them. Regardless if they are torn or not, the material used is garbage and how soon your sticks tear depends on how hard you use the sticks/the luck of the draw how good the material was applied on your controller.

Your issues is not everybody issues/ same  as your opinon on  the controllers and folder and etc etc..

Some say( the pps4 controllers) are best they every used. ,some disagree.  Btw i didnt read the whole post. most of it opinated in your honest belief, which none can sway on how you feel in agreement or disagreement on the  matter.. If you dont like ps4 after you bought, it then sell it.?   Thats not being rude in any fashion,  its no point in being a unhappy gamers is it?  If you cant wait for changes and this or that to your liking .. Then do whats best for you and your well being to  make your self happy.

If that means selling your ps4 and movng  on to something else,then  it  is, what it is.? It called being a consumer  customer  in the market. If I  dont like new  ford150 truck  then , I take it back and get a toyota super cab truck. Make sense?

Happy gaming in your future.

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 6 of 20 (364 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2157 posts

May 27, 2014

I do not agree or disagree with your post, but how can you compare the two systems, having only played one of the systems?

Atari, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, PS1, Sega Saturn, PS2, PSP, PS3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3ds and PS4
Message 7 of 20 (349 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5539 posts

[ Edited ]
May 27, 2014

mcbuttz78 wrote:

GTAMOBSTERX4 wrote:

awtacular wrote:

Your issues is not everybody issues/ same  as your opinon on  the controllers and folder and etc etc..

Some say( the pps4 controllers) are best they every used. ,some disagree.  Btw i didnt read the whole post. most of it opinated in your honest belief, which none can sway on how you feel in agreement or disagreement on the  matter.. If you dont like ps4 after you bought, it then sell it.?   Thats not being rude in any fashion,  its no point in being a unhappy gamers is it?  If you cant wait for changes and this or that to your liking .. Then do whats best for you and your well being to  make your self happy.

If that means selling your ps4 and movng  on to something else,then  it  is, what it is.? It called being a consumer  customer  in the market. If I  dont like new  ford150 truck  then , I take it back and get a toyota super cab truck. Make sense?

Happy gaming in your future.

A suggestion to you: If you are going to reply to someone's post, actually take the time to read and comprehend it. :/

Once again, there has not been one person in the entire world yet to show me a DS4 controller that does not have the inferior analog material.

The OS is atrocious. Take a moment and listen to a user who has been on this forum for nearly a decade and has seen the Playstation brand from birth to present. Most threads are created to spread information. I'm confident Sony will remedy the issues I have listed on my OP. The whole idea is to make more people aware and communicate so they are corrected faster. Selling my system at a loss does not catalyze that...

Message 8 of 20 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5539 posts

May 27, 2014

peckdogg68 wrote:

I do not agree or disagree with your post, but how can you compare the two systems, having only played one of the systems?

Who says I've only played one? I only own the PS4 however I've played both, as well as the Wii U - and every console since the late 80s a fair amount...

Message 9 of 20 (339 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2157 posts

May 27, 2014

If you do not own it, you most likely have not had enough time  to get used to it and make a fair review.  Playing it now and again typically shows more strenghts and playing it only with friends only shows strengths.  If you own the system then compare them, since you do not, you should only review the ps4 and cut the cross comparisons out. 

Atari, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, PS1, Sega Saturn, PS2, PSP, PS3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3ds and PS4
Message 10 of 20 (323 Views)