Wastelander
644 posts

Re: Reasons i would not buy a vita As a HUGE sony fanboy (Constructive)

Jan 10, 2013

ill sum it up. bottom line is once you get your hands on the vita, its worth every penny. its a sleek expensive powerful piece of hardware with a beautiful OLED screen. the op didnt even touch on the positives, was all negative.  anyone who has played uncharted on vita will know how powerful it really is and that was a launch title. 

its backwards compatible with tons of games, makes them look 10 times better and is only ONE year old. give it time. for people to call it dead, just want it to fail because they are haters.  its going to be a long road just like the psp had. took psp a long time to catch on yet everyone called it "DEAD ON ARRIVAL"  that thing became huge.

trade in your old games, use credit and just buy one. it sounds like your more upset you cant afford one.  sell some stuff dude. i did.

Equality for all
Message 21 of 31 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
355 posts

Jan 10, 2013

AriesSiren wrote:

ill sum it up. bottom line is once you get your hands on the vita, its worth every penny. its a sleek expensive powerful piece of hardware with a beautiful OLED screen. the op didnt even touch on the positives, was all negative.  anyone who has played uncharted on vita will know how powerful it really is and that was a launch title. 

its backwards compatible with tons of games, makes them look 10 times better and is only ONE year old. give it time. for people to call it dead, just want it to fail because they are haters.  its going to be a long road just like the psp had. took psp a long time to catch on yet everyone called it "DEAD ON ARRIVAL"  that thing became huge.

trade in your old games, use credit and just buy one. it sounds like your more upset you cant afford one.  sell some stuff dude. i did.

Agree with u <3

Message 22 of 31 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Jan 10, 2013

THE_-GOTHZILLA- wrote:

superfriar19 wrote:

THE_-GOTHZILLA- wrote:

yapyap898 wrote:

I feel like bunching up all the threds with "List of reasons Vita sucks nobs" in them.

By the time Killzone Mercenary comes out, almost every single Op hater will be eating thier own threads.

I feel the same way, but let's not get ahead of ourselves, just in case Killzone Mercenary joins the growing pile of failed attempts to bring an FPS to the Vita.

No kidding and lets not pretend that Killzone is a system seller either. It's a good game but it's not even close to a Halo or COD. Not even close.

No, no, FPS fans have historically avoided portable gaming like .the plauge, but the vita has them interested, it just needs a decent FPS to seal the deal, the only problem being the first person shooters so far have been terrible, Resistence Burning Skies was shot down in flames and Black Ops Declassified should have stayed on a need-to-know basis.

Now, they weren't bad because of the Vita, but becausse the developers just didn't care. If the Vita can get one good FPS that proves to shooter fans its worth the investment then I garuntee you it'll start selling in greater numbers, and as a result the library of shooters will start growing, and that'll feed into the number of people buying Vitas.

Killzone will not sell systems. It wont. I like Killzone. I am just saying it wont move systems. Just google Killzone sales figures. Not good.

Message 23 of 31 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2536 posts

Jan 10, 2013
It won't, but when you start piling the AAA releases then things start showing potential customers a different picture and instead of thinking there're only a handful of PSV exclusives they know there are more than just a handful. Every single AAA game counts even if they aren't system sellers on their own~.
Message 24 of 31 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Jan 10, 2013

DistantWords wrote:

bronxz32 wrote:

DistantWords wrote:

2) Again, this is a BRAND new system.  Compare the PS3's library at 1 year to the Vita's at 1 year, or any system for that matter.  I can't remember any system having a full library of true quality games at their first birthday...

Does the Sega Dreamcast ring a bell? Right from the start the system had great games. For my money best launch line up of games for any system in history.  And by the end of 2000 it had a great selection Code Veronica, Grandia II, Skies Of Arcadia, the 2K sports line up, Quake III, Soul Calibur, Marvel Vs Capcom 2 it had great games, not as great as it should have been because many 3rd party companies stopped supporting it and it had MANY cancelled games.  What about the PS2? by the end of 2001 it had big games. Games worth picking up the system. MGS2, GTA III, Final Fantasy X, GT3, Silent Hill 2 and so on. Some of these titles just missed the birthday date by a month or so, but in the end within the first year it had titles worth playing and a great selection at that.  Even the Original Playstation had Solid titles within a year. Tomb Raider, Rayman, Twisted Metal, Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil, Tekken 2 and so on.  These are based on US release dates.

Sega Dreamcast...  Yeah, that kind of rings a bell.  Their last system right?

I hate to use Wikipedia, but I can't find any original articles from that far back at the moment, but:

Dreamcast

Games: 19

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games#Sega_Dreamcast

Now, you mention "Solid" games, but isn't that kind of subjective?  I mean, how do you determine if it's "Solid"?  In my own opinion, the VIta has already had some SOLID games.  Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal, Unit 13.

I've heard Disgaea 3 is good, but it's not my style so I can't say for myself.

Then there's a lot of ports and cross platform releases that have been pretty good, IMO, like Mortal Kombat, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom, Metal Gear Solid Collection, Street Fighter X Tekken.  Also some other little titles that people seemed to be happy about, that I personally didn't care for like Jet Set Radio, Retro City Rampage and Gravity Rush.

And, we still have a month till the Vita's first birthday here in the US.

The problem here is that looking back to years ago is a LOT different than looking at things now.  There has not been nearly enough time to judge AND reflect upon the Vita's first year and compare to other systems.  But, I do remember the PS3's first year and I personally found it rather dull..

What does 19 launch titles really mean in the realm that  we are talking about? I'm very well aware about the Dreamcast.  And as i have said best launch line up of games for my money of any console ever, it had games that you play right away and didn't have to wait a few months or a year for something great to come out. It had it from the start.  I used solid, as games that sold the system and  made people want one, you said true quality. In essence same/similar thing.  As i have said in my previous post other systems have had Better and greater games within a year or so of the systems launch.  By the time the first year was over people had great titles and had a month or so to look forward to more quality titles that made people want to buy the system. Vita even after it's birthday date that you keep referring still won't have titles that will match those of the consoles i have mentioned before.  Main reason, when some of those games came out they stood out and it was a new era. GTA III became a phenomenon, MGS2, FFX, GT3 some of the most memorable PS2 games came out in the same year.  Does Vita have anything in that regard that when people look back years later and say in the first year or so VITA had games that really stand out and made you buy the system? I'll say no, you might think it's early but what does VITA have instore between now and by the end of MAY(giving it a little extra time and a cushion as with other systems i mentioned)? I don't see anything, and many people will agree.  Bottom line as i have said there were other systems that after a year or so had true quality games, solid games, games that stand out and people still love those games.  Then again to each is own if you believe that other systems didn't have greater or better titles than VITA after a year or so than that's your opinion.

Message 25 of 31 (130 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1022 posts

Jan 10, 2013

bronxz32 wrote:

DistantWords wrote:

bronxz32 wrote:

DistantWords wrote:

2) Again, this is a BRAND new system.  Compare the PS3's library at 1 year to the Vita's at 1 year, or any system for that matter.  I can't remember any system having a full library of true quality games at their first birthday...

Does the Sega Dreamcast ring a bell? Right from the start the system had great games. For my money best launch line up of games for any system in history.  And by the end of 2000 it had a great selection Code Veronica, Grandia II, Skies Of Arcadia, the 2K sports line up, Quake III, Soul Calibur, Marvel Vs Capcom 2 it had great games, not as great as it should have been because many 3rd party companies stopped supporting it and it had MANY cancelled games.  What about the PS2? by the end of 2001 it had big games. Games worth picking up the system. MGS2, GTA III, Final Fantasy X, GT3, Silent Hill 2 and so on. Some of these titles just missed the birthday date by a month or so, but in the end within the first year it had titles worth playing and a great selection at that.  Even the Original Playstation had Solid titles within a year. Tomb Raider, Rayman, Twisted Metal, Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil, Tekken 2 and so on.  These are based on US release dates.

Sega Dreamcast...  Yeah, that kind of rings a bell.  Their last system right?

I hate to use Wikipedia, but I can't find any original articles from that far back at the moment, but:

Dreamcast

Games: 19

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games#Sega_Dreamcast

Now, you mention "Solid" games, but isn't that kind of subjective?  I mean, how do you determine if it's "Solid"?  In my own opinion, the VIta has already had some SOLID games.  Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal, Unit 13.

I've heard Disgaea 3 is good, but it's not my style so I can't say for myself.

Then there's a lot of ports and cross platform releases that have been pretty good, IMO, like Mortal Kombat, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom, Metal Gear Solid Collection, Street Fighter X Tekken.  Also some other little titles that people seemed to be happy about, that I personally didn't care for like Jet Set Radio, Retro City Rampage and Gravity Rush.

And, we still have a month till the Vita's first birthday here in the US.

The problem here is that looking back to years ago is a LOT different than looking at things now.  There has not been nearly enough time to judge AND reflect upon the Vita's first year and compare to other systems.  But, I do remember the PS3's first year and I personally found it rather dull..

What does 19 launch titles really mean in the realm that  we are talking about? I'm very well aware about the Dreamcast.  And as i have said best launch line up of games for my money of any console ever, it had games that you play right away and didn't have to wait a few months or a year for something great to come out. It had it from the start.  I used solid, as games that sold the system and  made people want one, you said true quality. In essence same/similar thing.  As i have said in my previous post other systems have had Better and greater games within a year or so of the systems launch.  By the time the first year was over people had great titles and had a month or so to look forward to more quality titles that made people want to buy the system. Vita even after it's birthday date that you keep referring still won't have titles that will match those of the consoles i have mentioned before.  Main reason, when some of those games came out they stood out and it was a new era. GTA III became a phenomenon, MGS2, FFX, GT3 some of the most memorable PS2 games came out in the same year.  Does Vita have anything in that regard that when people look back years later and say in the first year or so VITA had games that really stand out and made you buy the system? I'll say no, you might think it's early but what does VITA have instore between now and by the end of MAY(giving it a little extra time and a cushion as with other systems i mentioned)? I don't see anything, and many people will agree.  Bottom line as i have said there were other systems that after a year or so had true quality games, solid games, games that stand out and people still love those games.  Then again to each is own if you believe that other systems didn't have greater or better titles than VITA after a year or so than that's your opinion.

I'm sorry, but I'm looking at the list of launch games for Dreamcast and nothing on there is all that impressive to me.  The ONLY game that stands out from an outsider view would be Sonic Adventure, and that will only appeal to Sonic fans, which I am not.  Other than that, it's no more impressive than almost any other launch lineup I've seen (with the exception of the 3DS, THAT launch was weak).

And yes, the Vita DOES have games people will remember. I've already mentioned some of them.  Uncharted, LBP and hopefully PSASBR.  I thought Unit 13 was a very well done game as well, but I honestly have no idea what others have thought of it.  I loved it and that's all that matters to me.

Message 26 of 31 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Jan 10, 2013

DistantWords wrote:

I'm sorry, but I'm looking at the list of launch games for Dreamcast and nothing on there is all that impressive to me.  The ONLY game that stands out from an outsider view would be Sonic Adventure, and that will only appeal to Sonic fans, which I am not.  Other than that, it's no more impressive than almost any other launch lineup I've seen (with the exception of the 3DS, THAT launch was weak).

And yes, the Vita DOES have games people will remember. I've already mentioned some of them.  Uncharted, LBP and hopefully PSASBR.  I thought Unit 13 was a very well done game as well, but I honestly have no idea what others have thought of it.  I loved it and that's all that matters to me.

You never played Soul Calibur? Power Stone? House Of The Dead 2? I take it you missed the Dreamcast days? In case you change your mind and want one, it's never too late to pick one up. System still offers a lot. 

Message 27 of 31 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2504 posts

Jan 10, 2013
psxsage has been wrong before. Here's hoping for a PS Vita purchase in the near future...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3/Former-360-Fanboy-Turned-PS3-lover/m-p/14968435

I must say for the first time in awhile i was DEAD wrong. I usually pick a console and stick to it from Begining to end and never look back. This time Due to the PS3's high price point and lackluster launch I decided 360 was the way to go....And it was for awhile But....What changed my mind?

FOUR 360 consoles Dying on me.
Every 360 Exclusive is a war game of some sort
HORRID microsoft support
6-8 week turn around time on the Red rings of death fix only to get a refurb that breaks AGAIN.
Having to pay for all the extras cost me more in the long Run

Bought my 360 premium at launch for 400$ then needed a battery charge kit for 30$ the HD -DVD addon later for 200$ Ended up costing me more then the PS3 would have.

I'm a HUGE rpg fan apparently Microsoft is not. Every GOOD rpg in the future release lists is only for PS3. 360 only has a few Lackluster titles such as Blue dragon which bombed. Mistwalkers new offering. Fable 2 which the first one was way too short and easy.

No motion sensing on the 360 which pretty much seems standard now The wii has it the PS3 has it still nada on the 360.

Did i mention FOUR dead consoles? And even when they DID work they would freeze at random times Screwing you over in games Both online and off.

PAYING to play online when i already paid 400$ for the base system itself! And 60$ for each game and still i pay to play online??

Games like HAZE becoming PS3 only due to the limits of the 360. 25-50 gig Blu rays 9 gig DVDs....yeah i at first used the dumb statement WHo the hell needs Blue ray? Well when Blue dragon which is there first real RPG has ALREADY had to use 2 dvd's you see why the storage of Blu ray is a must have for future gaming.

Lack of Hard drive support by game developers because of that Lame CORE unit they refuse to drop.....

The PS3 Has a far superior upcoming games Library compared to the 360. FF13,MGS4,HAZE,UT3,Drakes Fortune,Ratchet and clank etc etc etc. While 360 for the entire next year claims....Fable 2 mass effect...yay? =/

I could go on and on and on But in Short i have owned my PS3 for about 2 weeks now And iv'e had more fun with it in 2 weeks then i did with the 360 Since LAUNCH. I must admit i was WRONG and i have seen the light PS3 for life Down with Micro$oft. never EVER EVER again will i buy a micro$oft Console. Put the last refurb on Ebay and bought my 80 gig ps3 2 weeks ago With...
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Heavenly sword
Untold legends dark Kingdoms
Madden 08
Warhawk
Motorstorm

Loving every minute of it.

This video on Youtube watching it Kind of made me realize i was Done with the 360 after my last one failed too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLOPW1Qe1HU&;mode=related&search=Xbox%20360%20red%20rings%20of%20deat...

So Hi all Glad to be a PS3 owner Rock on Sony. Burn in hell Micro$oft.
Xbox 360 Elite SOLD Good Riddance
PS3 300 gig
COD4,COD5,Killzone 2,Drakes Uncharted,Heavenly sword,Burnout paradise,DMC4,Metal gear solid 4,FC2,UT3,Dead space,Resistance 1 and 2,Bioshock,GTA4,Saints row 2,Ratchet and clank future,motorstorm 1 and 2,Guitar hero world tour,Dark Kingdom,Army of two,Battlefield bad company,Socom,Star wars TFU,Little big planet,Time crisis 4,Stranglehold...And many many more.
0 Likes
MVP Support
7401 posts

Jan 10, 2013

ixnine wrote:
psxsage has been wrong before. Here's hoping for a PS Vita purchase in the near future...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3/Former-360-Fanboy-Turned-PS3-lover/m-p/14968435

I guess you're suggesting that he'll change his mind again?  Anyway, it is funny that a "Former 360 Fanboy" now calls themselves "a HUGE sony fanboy," even though they didn't buy the PS3 at launch or buy a PSVita yet.  I guess just liking a system making you a fanboy Smiley Tongue.

As for the OP:

1. It's subjective, but I don't think the pricepoint was too high.  When it was announced, it seeemd that everyone was surprised by how cheap it would be.  I guess a few months made a big difference.  I still think it's a better deal than the 3DS though, as far as the system itself.

2. I agree there could be more/better games releases, but it's a matter of personal perference. Still, as it is now, there are games out that I want but haven't purchased yet.  So it's clearly worthwhile for me to own; I am getting as much out of it as I am willing to pay for, and there's still more.

3. The battery life isn't as bad as I thought it would be, although I agree it could be better.  For someone with only a PSVita it would surely be a problem, but I often have my 3DS with me and phone as well.  Even when I do use only the Vita, I've only had it run low (red light) on me twice.  It would be nice to not have to worry about it.  This is one of my problems with smart phones that kept me from upgrading for a while (which I will be doing soon).  It is getting better though, compared to the last time I got a phone. 

4. I do think it's best to keep it optional, but I haven't had any issues with the rear touchscreen.

5. Memory card pricing is probably the most-compained about of these.  I would like to have a larger one, but it's not worth the cost to me.  The one bundled with my Vita was 8GB and it's fine for me, just slightly inconvenient to have to change the content on it.

Message 29 of 31 (99 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1022 posts

Jan 11, 2013

bronxz32 wrote:

DistantWords wrote:

You never played Soul Calibur? Power Stone? House Of The Dead 2? I take it you missed the Dreamcast days? In case you change your mind and want one, it's never too late to pick one up. System still offers a lot. 

Soulcalibur (I always knew it as one word myself), yes.  House of Dead 2, Yes.  But, I had played those games already in the Arcades (man I miss Arcades, GOOD Arcades), and much like Mortal Kombat, I'm pretty sure they were better (back in those days) in the Arcades.

Power Stone?  No, never heard of it in fact.

And yes, I missed out on the Dreamcast itself, other than a few friends I knew who talked about it.  They never had anything more than one or two titles each that they talked about.  And, I doubt I missed much really.  Otherwise, the Dreamcast wouldn't have been Sega's last system...

Message 30 of 31 (63 Views)
0 Likes