Wastelander
838 posts

Re: Reasons i would not buy a vita As a HUGE sony fanboy (Constructive)

Jan 9, 2013

DistantWords wrote:

2) Again, this is a BRAND new system.  Compare the PS3's library at 1 year to the Vita's at 1 year, or any system for that matter.  I can't remember any system having a full library of true quality games at their first birthday...

Does the Sega Dreamcast ring a bell? Right from the start the system had great games. For my money best launch line up of games for any system in history.  And by the end of 2000 it had a great selection Code Veronica, Grandia II, Skies Of Arcadia, the 2K sports line up, Quake III, Soul Calibur, Marvel Vs Capcom 2 it had great games, not as great as it should have been because many 3rd party companies stopped supporting it and it had MANY cancelled games.  What about the PS2? by the end of 2001 it had big games. Games worth picking up the system. MGS2, GTA III, Final Fantasy X, GT3, Silent Hill 2 and so on. Some of these titles just missed the birthday date by a month or so, but in the end within the first year it had titles worth playing and a great selection at that.  Even the Original Playstation had Solid titles within a year. Tomb Raider, Rayman, Twisted Metal, Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil, Tekken 2 and so on.  These are based on US release dates.

Message 11 of 31 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2362 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 9, 2013

Comparing the battery life of a nexus when its games are a joke and not near as demanding as vita is idiotic.

Sounds like your a parrot who is spewing what you heard elsewhere ona  forum, vita actually has a very strong library for it's first year, compared to the 3ds it was way better for its first year.

Price well that is an individual thing, people spend that much on ipod touches, so for me the 250 was well spent. Price will drop like all consoles.

Message 12 of 31 (169 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Jan 9, 2013

In terms of games for the Vita let's just wait until E3 and TGS. I'm still standing by my theory that the Vita is going to be a major part of the next console. By the time it comes out the Vita will be cheap enough that a lot of people buy one and will be implemented with the console games from day 1.

Just a theory though, I have zero evidence.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 13 of 31 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2074 posts

Jan 9, 2013

That is what I remember too. Good games for those and even the ps3 . ps3 did not have as many but what it had was good. I still have all the games I bought for it on the book shelf. I played concontinually that year and thought they were good games compaired to the last gen. at the time. Most of the vita games do not seem to have the quality that should be there. There are some good ones but it seems like they are just pushing a lot of them out to have something there.

Message 14 of 31 (160 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 9, 2013

runescape92 wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

1. Pricepoint is $250 not $299 (unless you are talking about the 3G version). Even at $250 it does seem to be overpriced compared to what else is available. People did by a lot of Vitas when the price was marked down to $199 for Black Friday.

Sony has pretty much confirmed that the Vita will get a price cut this year, so stay tuned.

2. I agree that the game library is pretty lacking, and probably won't improve until later this year. It is good that Vita is included in PS+ to provide plenty of free content to play in the meantime.

3. Battery life isn't too bac IMO. You can't really compare it to a tablet because they have much larger batteries, and their batteries wouldn't last as long if you are playing demanding games on them either.

5. The Vita memory card prices are really not that bad when you compare it to other Sony branded media. On the PSP GO the 2GB memory card cost $20 and the 4 GB cost $30, based on those price points larger memory cards would be more expensive per GB than the Vita versions. It would be nice if Sony allowed the use of microSD cards, but since someone could easily load code onto it and hack the Vita, is likely the reason Sony went with a brand new format.

Trying to justify the prices of the memory cards by saying Sony is pricing them lower than the PSP GO's STILL overpriced memory cards of back then, just doesn't make too much sense. They are expensive no matter how you look at it, whether it be from previous proprietary formats or not. 

I know these arguments are tried and tired, but you can get a 32 GB SD card for half the price or if not LOWER. You can get a 64 GB sd card for the same price as Sony's 32 GB sd card, and that's at no sale. I see some on sale right now on Amazon for $60 the same price as Sony's 16 GB cards... 

Anyways at the end of the day I'm STILL going to fork over the money for a bigger 32 GB card, we just have no choice and I really need it if I'm going to enjoy Plus fully.

Other than that, I agree with your comment on the fifth issue wholeheartedly.

I'm not justifing it, just putting it in the right perpective. SD cards are always going to be less expensive because the format is being manufactured by many sources, so there is plenty of competition resulting in much lower prices. Sony's formats are more expensive because there is hardly any competition for their format, and in the Vita's case there isn't any competition. Sony's brand is always going to be the most expensive, but that has gotten better with Sandisk & Lexmark making their own versions. Until that happens, I expect the Vita memory cards to remain far more expensive than SD cards. 

According to Amazon, even a 32GB Memory Stick is going to be expensive, which would have been the best we could have hoped for Sony to use in the VIta.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Memory-Stick-Pro-HG-MS-HX32A/dp/B003USISNK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357751...

Message 15 of 31 (143 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1022 posts

Jan 9, 2013

bronxz32 wrote:

DistantWords wrote:

2) Again, this is a BRAND new system.  Compare the PS3's library at 1 year to the Vita's at 1 year, or any system for that matter.  I can't remember any system having a full library of true quality games at their first birthday...

Does the Sega Dreamcast ring a bell? Right from the start the system had great games. For my money best launch line up of games for any system in history.  And by the end of 2000 it had a great selection Code Veronica, Grandia II, Skies Of Arcadia, the 2K sports line up, Quake III, Soul Calibur, Marvel Vs Capcom 2 it had great games, not as great as it should have been because many 3rd party companies stopped supporting it and it had MANY cancelled games.  What about the PS2? by the end of 2001 it had big games. Games worth picking up the system. MGS2, GTA III, Final Fantasy X, GT3, Silent Hill 2 and so on. Some of these titles just missed the birthday date by a month or so, but in the end within the first year it had titles worth playing and a great selection at that.  Even the Original Playstation had Solid titles within a year. Tomb Raider, Rayman, Twisted Metal, Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil, Tekken 2 and so on.  These are based on US release dates.

Sega Dreamcast...  Yeah, that kind of rings a bell.  Their last system right?

I hate to use Wikipedia, but I can't find any original articles from that far back at the moment, but:

Dreamcast

Games: 19

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games#Sega_Dreamcast

Now, you mention "Solid" games, but isn't that kind of subjective?  I mean, how do you determine if it's "Solid"?  In my own opinion, the VIta has already had some SOLID games.  Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal, Unit 13.

I've heard Disgaea 3 is good, but it's not my style so I can't say for myself.

Then there's a lot of ports and cross platform releases that have been pretty good, IMO, like Mortal Kombat, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom, Metal Gear Solid Collection, Street Fighter X Tekken.  Also some other little titles that people seemed to be happy about, that I personally didn't care for like Jet Set Radio, Retro City Rampage and Gravity Rush.

And, we still have a month till the Vita's first birthday here in the US.

The problem here is that looking back to years ago is a LOT different than looking at things now.  There has not been nearly enough time to judge AND reflect upon the Vita's first year and compare to other systems.  But, I do remember the PS3's first year and I personally found it rather dull..

Message 16 of 31 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 9, 2013

THE_-GOTHZILLA- wrote:

yapyap898 wrote:

I feel like bunching up all the threds with "List of reasons Vita sucks nobs" in them.

By the time Killzone Mercenary comes out, almost every single Op hater will be eating thier own threads.

I feel the same way, but let's not get ahead of ourselves, just in case Killzone Mercenary joins the growing pile of failed attempts to bring an FPS to the Vita.

No kidding and lets not pretend that Killzone is a system seller either. It's a good game but it's not even close to a Halo or COD. Not even close.

Message 17 of 31 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2074 posts

Jan 9, 2013

There is very few people I talk to that say ps3 first year was dull. Most say and I also that it was a great upgrade in gaming. And untill they screwed it up you could fill in between the new games with ps2 games to play. I still have all my first games for it and put them in every now and then. Still remember people talking of how great they were. As far as the vita. It has been next to a year now. In todays electronics a year is a long time. Things move so fast now that some eletronics in a year have already developed a new and better product. There are some issues with the vita that are still issues sence launch. People are gitting frustrated with it and telling others to wait on buying it. All except a very small group that it can do no wrong for. Word of mouth can make or brake a product. I even heard some gamestops are telling people to wait to buy it untill it is developed more. I use mine often buy they do need to listen to people and fix the issues.

Message 18 of 31 (119 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 9, 2013

superfriar19 wrote:

THE_-GOTHZILLA- wrote:

yapyap898 wrote:

I feel like bunching up all the threds with "List of reasons Vita sucks nobs" in them.

By the time Killzone Mercenary comes out, almost every single Op hater will be eating thier own threads.

I feel the same way, but let's not get ahead of ourselves, just in case Killzone Mercenary joins the growing pile of failed attempts to bring an FPS to the Vita.

No kidding and lets not pretend that Killzone is a system seller either. It's a good game but it's not even close to a Halo or COD. Not even close.

No, no, FPS fans have historically avoided portable gaming like the plauge, but the vita has them interested, it just needs a decent FPS to seal the deal, the only problem being the first person shooters so far have been terrible, Resistence Burning Skies was shot down in flames and Black Ops Declassified should have stayed on a need-to-know basis.

Now, they weren't bad because of the Vita, but becausse the developers just didn't care. If the Vita can get one good FPS that proves to shooter fans its worth the investment then I garuntee you it'll start selling in greater numbers, and as a result the library of shooters will start growing, and that'll feed into the number of people buying Vitas.

Message 19 of 31 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2922 posts

Jan 9, 2013

"All in all i'm a diehard sony fan..."

Yet you did not buy a PlayStation Vita.

Anyway, I agree with most of your points. The pricing seems to be okay. The 3DS was priced the same and if you compare the two systems, the Vita has way more pieces of technology. Plus you're talking about the 3G version. There is a $250 Vita with Wi-Fi only.

The rear touchpad is quite usefull for me. It makes creating things on LBPV and Sound Shapes better IMO.

Somewhat like you I have most Sony products and not having this (as a gamer) seemed like I was missing out on my (half) collection.

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 20 of 31 (106 Views)
0 Likes