Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 09 2013
By: psxsage Hekseville Citizen 242 posts

Reasons i would not buy a vita As a HUGE sony fanboy (Constructive)

30 replies 533 views Edited Jan 9, 2013

I mean no ill wills here merely constructive criticism i hope sony Addresses as i have bought and owned every single Sony gaming device to memory...PS1(Both designs),PS2(Both designs),PS3(all THREE designs just upgraded to super slim recently),PSP,PSPGO (Yeah even that one),I even love Sonys other products from TV's to old school Walkmans (yeah even the casette ones) All in all i'm a diehard sony fan...So this truly pains me to say i think the Vita is a no buy for me (And MANY others given it's sale numbers thus far).  Why...what led sony astray this time around?  A few things i think are painfully obvious (Or perhaps not)

1. Pricepoint 299$ is just too much for a handheld in a Tablet/Cellphone mobile gaming world...Especially when the PS3 can be had for less than that.

2. Games Library (Or lack their of)  I realize the system is new however even the upcoming games list for 2013 thus far looks Abyssmal..Really it's like your buying the system for 3-4 games tops...The hopeful savior was Call of duty which was rated one of if not THE lowest in call of duty's entire game history.

3. Battery Life (Or lack their of) I realize the handheld is quite powerful however in this day and age 3-4 Hours battery is just unacceptable when my Nexus tablet with a more powerful CPU and GPU lasts anywhere from 2-3X that and cost me LESS money.

4. The rear touchscreen...This has to be the most uncomfortable thing i have ever used...I tried using it in little big planet and it was so awkward words can not describe it.  I'm hoping very few if any future games make this mandatory to use.

5.Memory card pricing...One of the most beloved things about my PS3 is i can use ANY laptop sized Hard drive in the system saving me TONS of money per GB versus Micro$ofts awful proprietary drives costing more per GB then any HD in existence....however the PS vitas memory cards are just insanely priced..They are more expensive per GB than even the newest fastest MicroSD cards which is a far more expensive technology to produce (and big sizes are still VERY new) This is a HUGE disapointment)

Those are my major complaints Sony needs to address before i'd even consider buying a Vita (And i really do wish to one day once it's more worth my money)  What about all of you? Any major things you wish Sony would address? Or can you honestly say you feel your 300$ was money perfectly spent with no complaints?  I really hope Sony turns this one around big time as right now next to the PsPGO this is shaping up to possibly be a big time financial disaster for Sony Gaming.

Make me a believer in your new product sony as if you can't convince a diehard Sony loyalist to buy one...I'm not sure your sales are going to pass that 4M mark by too much...Especially with your Tablet/Cellphone/3DS competition.

PlayStation 4
Playstation 3
3DSXL Cosmo Black
Vita 2000 (Slim) Black Borderlands 2 bundle
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g
Owner of LiquidEvilGaming Youtube channel
@LiquidEvilGames Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 31 (533 Views)
Fender Bender
3929 posts

Re: Reasons i would not buy a vita As a HUGE sony fanboy (Constructive)

Jan 9, 2013
I like your points. The battery life is such a killjoy. I also do not think the rear touch pad is all that. I personally have a gripe against the analogs. They should have been indented like the Xbox controller. My thumbs slip off when they get slightly sweaty.

I enjoy my Vita. I feel the game selection is decent. I really wanted to see more ports since its capable of handling various AAA titles.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 31 (527 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 9, 2013

1. Pricepoint is $250 not $299 (unless you are talking about the 3G version). Even at $250 it does seem to be overpriced compared to what else is available. People did by a lot of Vitas when the price was marked down to $199 for Black Friday.

Sony has pretty much confirmed that the Vita will get a price cut this year, so stay tuned.

2. I agree that the game library is pretty lacking, and probably won't improve until later this year. It is good that Vita is included in PS+ to provide plenty of free content to play in the meantime.

3. Battery life isn't too bac IMO. You can't really compare it to a tablet because they have much larger batteries, and their batteries wouldn't last as long if you are playing demanding games on them either.

5. The Vita memory card prices are really not that bad when you compare it to other Sony branded media. On the PSP GO the 2GB memory card cost $20 and the 4 GB cost $30, based on those price points larger memory cards would be more expensive per GB than the Vita versions. It would be nice if Sony allowed the use of microSD cards, but since someone could easily load code onto it and hack the Vita, is likely the reason Sony went with a brand new format.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 31 (494 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
161 posts

Jan 9, 2013

I feel like bunching up all the threds with "List of reasons Vita sucks nobs" in them.

By the time Killzone Mercenary comes out, almost every single Op hater will be eating thier own threads.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 31 (490 Views)
First Son
27 posts

Jan 9, 2013

yapyap898 wrote:

I feel like bunching up all the threds with "List of reasons Vita sucks nobs" in them.

By the time Killzone Mercenary comes out, almost every single Op hater will be eating thier own threads.

I feel the same way, but let's not get ahead of ourselves, just in case Killzone Mercenary joins the growing pile of failed attempts to bring an FPS to the Vita.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 31 (474 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1509 posts

Jan 9, 2013

I just cant see using the VITA for shooters.I love everything else on it.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 31 (467 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1015 posts

Jan 9, 2013

psxsage wrote:

I mean no ill wills here merely constructive criticism i hope sony Addresses as i have bought and owned every single Sony gaming device to memory...PS1(Both designs),PS2(Both designs),PS3(all THREE designs just upgraded to super slim recently),PSP,PSPGO (Yeah even that one),I even love Sonys other products from TV's to old school Walkmans (yeah even the casette ones) All in all i'm a diehard sony fan...So this truly pains me to say i think the Vita is a no buy for me (And MANY others given it's sale numbers thus far).  Why...what led sony astray this time around?  A few things i think are painfully obvious (Or perhaps not)

1. Pricepoint 299$ is just too much for a handheld in a Tablet/Cellphone mobile gaming world...Especially when the PS3 can be had for less than that.

2. Games Library (Or lack their of)  I realize the system is new however even the upcoming games list for 2013 thus far looks Abyssmal..Really it's like your buying the system for 3-4 games tops...The hopeful savior was Call of duty which was rated one of if not THE lowest in call of duty's entire game history.

3. Battery Life (Or lack their of) I realize the handheld is quite powerful however in this day and age 3-4 Hours battery is just unacceptable when my Nexus tablet with a more powerful CPU and GPU lasts anywhere from 2-3X that and cost me LESS money.

4. The rear touchscreen...This has to be the most uncomfortable thing i have ever used...I tried using it in little big planet and it was so awkward words can not describe it.  I'm hoping very few if any future games make this mandatory to use.

5.Memory card pricing...One of the most beloved things about my PS3 is i can use ANY laptop sized Hard drive in the system saving me TONS of money per GB versus Micro$ofts awful proprietary drives costing more per GB then any HD in existence....however the PS vitas memory cards are just insanely priced..They are more expensive per GB than even the newest fastest MicroSD cards which is a far more expensive technology to produce (and big sizes are still VERY new) This is a HUGE disapointment)

Those are my major complaints Sony needs to address before i'd even consider buying a Vita (And i really do wish to one day once it's more worth my money)  What about all of you? Any major things you wish Sony would address? Or can you honestly say you feel your 300$ was money perfectly spent with no complaints?  I really hope Sony turns this one around big time as right now next to the PsPGO this is shaping up to possibly be a big time financial disaster for Sony Gaming.

Make me a believer in your new product sony as if you can't convince a diehard Sony loyalist to buy one...I'm not sure your sales are going to pass that 4M mark by too much...Especially with your Tablet/Cellphone/3DS competition.

1) Price isn't that bad really.  This is BRAND new tech.  And, fyi, you can get the Wi Fi only model for $250.  Isn't that what the PSP first launched at?  And comparing the Vita now (almost a year old) to the current price of the PS3 (over 6 years old) is kind of rediculous IMO.  Remember how much the PS3 cost when it launched?  $500-600.  Compare THAT to $250-300 if you want to compare the two systems.

Also, what do tablets or cell phones have to do with anything?  Name me ONE game on a tablet or cell phone that has the depth and abilities as Uncharted or LittleBigPlanet.  Please.  I'm seriously asking this.  I'd like to see ONE "tablet/cellphone" game that compares to true video gaming...

2) Again, this is a BRAND new system.  Compare the PS3's library at 1 year to the Vita's at 1 year, or any system for that matter.  I can't remember any system having a full library of true quality games at their first birthday...

3) Agreed.  But, I'm pretty sure it's still better than the 3DS's battery life.  My son is constantly charging his..  Like, ALL the time.  But yeah, I'd love to see a better battery.  And the ability to change it myself.

4) I hate both touch screens myself.  But, I've had to learn to deal with them.  I can't argue your point though, except that touch seems to be here now :smileysad: .

5) Agreed fully.  HATE the current pricing.  Wish they had gone with Micro SD myself...

I will tell you though, that if they keep up working on the Cross Controller stuff, and work out the bugs, THAT is going to ROCK soon.  LBP2's Cross Controller DLC, though buggy at the moment, ROCKS when it is running good.  And opens up SO many possiblities.  And Cross Buy is very nice on the wallet (I was really worrying about PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale at first because I didnt' want to drop all that money on both versions).  Cross Play is also nice becuase it sucks having a game that is on PS3 and Vita, but the gameplay is console specific (Mortal Kombat, Dungeon Hunters: Alliance, etc).  But it's nice picking up the Vita (PSASBR) and knowing that I'll have the same online pool as I would playing on the PS3.

Those are just my thoughts and opinions...

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 31 (448 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1015 posts

Jan 9, 2013

This is kind of interesting...  I'm trying to compare the Vita with the PSP and the PS3.  I'm starting with Lauch prices and lineups.  I'll be curious to see what this looks like when adding other systems to the mix, and doing another list of "First Year" (not just launch).

So...  Here's what I've found so far, again, this is just launch data for each system, in the US.  Also, this is all from Google Search, old articles, so some info is bound to be inacurate.

PSP

Cost: $250

Games: 24

http://www.ign.com/articles/2005/02/03/psp-us-launch-date-and-price-revealed

PS3

Cost: $500-600

Games: 15 (6 games were said to be delayed)

http://www.1up.com/news/real-playstation-3-launch-lineup

Vita

Cost: $250-300

Games: 25 (SCEA + 3rd Party Launch Titles)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/12/22/playstation-vita-launch-lineup-and-details/

I am actually interested in seeing more data on this.  Other systems, first year, 4th year, etc...

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 31 (439 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11071 posts

Jan 9, 2013
Let's see:
1. Been discussed already
2. Been discussed already
3. Been discussed already
4. Been discussed already
5. Discussed all of the time
R.I.P. Off-Topic
04/09/2014 - Never Forget
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 31 (435 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 9, 2013

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

1. Pricepoint is $250 not $299 (unless you are talking about the 3G version). Even at $250 it does seem to be overpriced compared to what else is available. People did by a lot of Vitas when the price was marked down to $199 for Black Friday.

Sony has pretty much confirmed that the Vita will get a price cut this year, so stay tuned.

2. I agree that the game library is pretty lacking, and probably won't improve until later this year. It is good that Vita is included in PS+ to provide plenty of free content to play in the meantime.

3. Battery life isn't too bac IMO. You can't really compare it to a tablet because they have much larger batteries, and their batteries wouldn't last as long if you are playing demanding games on them either.

5. The Vita memory card prices are really not that bad when you compare it to other Sony branded media. On the PSP GO the 2GB memory card cost $20 and the 4 GB cost $30, based on those price points larger memory cards would be more expensive per GB than the Vita versions. It would be nice if Sony allowed the use of microSD cards, but since someone could easily load code onto it and hack the Vita, is likely the reason Sony went with a brand new format.

Trying to justify the prices of the memory cards by saying Sony is pricing them lower than the PSP GO's STILL overpriced memory cards of back then, just doesn't make too much sense. They are expensive no matter how you look at it, whether it be from previous proprietary formats or not. 

I know these arguments are tried and tired, but you can get a 32 GB SD card for half the price or if not LOWER. You can get a 64 GB sd card for the same price as Sony's 32 GB sd card, and that's at no sale. I see some on sale right now on Amazon for $60 the same price as Sony's 16 GB cards... 

Anyways at the end of the day I'm STILL going to fork over the money for a bigger 32 GB card, we just have no choice and I really need it if I'm going to enjoy Plus fully.

Other than that, I agree with your comment on the fifth issue wholeheartedly.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 31 (415 Views)
0 Likes