Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Re: Real cause of the PS3 YLOD

Feb 23, 2013

Ragham87 wrote:

I checked out the Youtube videos on how to fix it and done it today. I booted up the ps3 and all was well. I was connected to the internet and all data that was on the HD was available. Once I downloaded the update however, it crashed...a bit strange. Before I connected the HDMI cable, I booted again just to make sure it wasnt a fluke. This was one of the first ps3's so I don't see what the issue is. If I hadnt fixed it correctly it would never have booted up in the first place. The fact that it did means the CPU and GPU (because I had output to the tv) are fine, the HD is fine, it connected to the net so Network card is fine, and I reapplied thermal paste so I don't see how overheating is an issue. Very disappointed and the only reason I tried this was because I previously got inpatient and bought an xbox 360 which I hate. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I did use my friends BDD because he got the ylod but bought a new ps3 so im thinking its the update thats done it. I now have three broken ps3s in my room as this has happened to several of my friends who've been happy for me to take their old ps3 parts, not that Sony will allow it!

when you say you "fixed it" what exactly did you do?

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 21 of 43 (6,086 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 27, 2013

O.k. I seen a PS3 that is broken and it has a heat issue ,but hte repair shop fixed ylod on it , do you think it would still be o.k. to use as parts for my PS3 that i'm trying to fix. My PS3 won't play no games ,dvds,or blu ray movies so i need a new blue ray player and the piece that supplies the power from the curciut to the blue ray player that accidently popped off.?

Message 22 of 43 (6,038 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
57 posts

Feb 27, 2013

ive done alot of extended research on this type of thing and this is the true answer for you. all ps3 have thermal paste issues, some are better pasted than others and last longer. the reason behind the ylod is because of a few reasons. i will start from the beggining.

play time- your ps3 or any game device is only to be played a few hours a time then given a 30 minute break to cool. this keeps the system from not over heating. (when i mean play time i mean disc based play time)

the type of disc game you play - some games run at a 1080p or 60fps and that causes your ps3 to over work its components in the system, thus causing more than usual over heating issues. games that do this to my knowledge are all of CoD games, Dragons Dogma, Skyrim, and Darksouls/Demon souls. all though there is no offical statement you will find alot of proof online.

Playing BR movies - this changes the speed the and power the disc is read and can cause your BR drive to die quickly or contribute to heating issues thus causing ylod.

Keeping your ps3 is a closed space - always keep your ps3 out in the open away from anything blocking the air vents. this helps venting 

Vaccum your ps3 once a week or twice a month - never used can air to clean out dust. this pushes the dust else where thats vital to your ps3 and can cause more problems than you know. use a vaccum with a brush to get all excess dust out. also take out your HDD and vaccum in there as there will b dust build up around the HDD which could cause problems.

DO NOT FORCE YOUR PS3 TO RUN ON ONLY 1080P - once again this changes how your ps3 operates on the inside and is does more harm than good. only one game i have ever played look good forced 1080p and thats binary domain but man did it run awfully bad.

if your hell bent on playing COD for hours, its running on 60fps and 1080p, if you lower it to 720p then the image has to down scale and there will be bad response time in online game play. you cant win for losing in that franchise. i would play for 2 hours max as your settings are automatic and just rest for half an hour. if your disc drive ever goes bad there is a few tricks you can do to see if you can give your ps3 CPR so to speak

first step - turn ps3 on and hold the eject button for 30 seconds. you will hear the laser moving to adujust itself to the setting it needs to be on. try this at least 5 times.

second step - go into safe mode ( you can find videos of this online) and try resetting different settings. theres one option that will clean your whole HDD out but use that option as a last resort or if you have a flash or external HDD to back up your game saves.

make sure you always clean out your ps3 using the method i stated earlier. this might be a factor of your problems. if all else fails use these steps.

Message 23 of 43 (6,035 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1826 posts

Feb 27, 2013

its not the thermal paste in our system its the solder thats connected to the rsx seriously u guys think and update is going to destroy a ps3 they test these things over and over before releasing sometimes things just break from one day to another thats how things are but what ps3 gets ylod is usually the solder

Won the ps4 From taco bell!
eGe EV][L GA/\/\][NG E/\/\P][RE
Message 24 of 43 (6,033 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 28, 2013

I don't think anyone else mentioned that the PS3 uses lead-free solder which is less durable than lead solder. Not much Sony can do about that because lead solder has been outlawed in some countries and there's only 1 manufacturing plant (that I'm aware of). Something to do with the environment, I personally **bleep** hate it. I pay for a something, I expect it to work.

What else, oh the newer PS3's are not only better designed but they have smaller die shrinks on the cell broadband which because of that, they require less power and therefore produce less heat. The big-bertha PS3's cell has 90nm die tech while the new PS3's (late slim - super slim) are 45nm. The original PS3 slims (with the blue eject light) are 65nm.

Plus the thermal paste Sony uses, and how they apply it, is nothing to brag about.

Should someone ever get YLOD, the best thing to do is get it reballed (someone mentioned earlier). If you send it to Sony, you'll likely be getting back a refurb that is just a poorly reflowed PS3, should last about 3-6 months and you don't get any of your saved data back (unless you uploaded to Cloud storage).

I don't expect the PS4 to have these problems because next-gen processors have gotten better, smaller, etc, should require less power.

Message 25 of 43 (6,028 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 10, 2013

i still have the original ps3 80g, and had a 5 or 6 hour long gaming session as well, and got the YLOD. so i went in myself and replaced the thermo compound with arctic 5 and cleaned it all out. put it back together and it worked for about 10 minutes, then shut off.  i turned it on and it was still working, then it lasted about 20 minutes and had the YLOD happen again. seemed to be really hot. could it possibly be the fan not working?

Message 26 of 43 (5,900 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 13, 2013

That is not right to say that 5 hours is too long for gaming. I play my old 60Gb PS3 for 7 hours stright and I never had a over heating issue and it still works fine. I got it refurbished from Gamestop 2 years ago

Message 27 of 43 (5,881 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Mar 26, 2013
I have an original 60gb mk1 ps3....I play COD in 3D (black ops/mod warfare) for 12-14 hrs straight! I also play bluray movies. It's connected to my home network and is used as a media server playing 3D movies to 2 different screens. It is tucked away in a shelved unit along with the surround decoder and the TiVo box and boy does it get warm. It has never checked out or glitched in the 7 years I have owned it. The only thing that it doesn't do now which it once did is play downloaded movies that Sony Corp entertainment has anything to do with (men in black etc), but that is just a copyright update that Sony released. My ps3 never gets moved,knocked, or messed about with...it just sits there working. I genuinely believe that if you cart it around to your mates, move it from place to place without due care it will eventually break. The more you knock it about the sooner it'll bugger up.
Unless I have been lucky to get a good one....
Message 28 of 43 (5,759 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 26, 2013

The yellow light has always been because of a hardware problem I don't even need to read the rest of the thread LOL

Message 29 of 43 (5,743 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 26, 2013

Andeecee28 wrote:
I have an original 60gb mk1 ps3....I play COD in 3D (black ops/mod warfare) for 12-14 hrs straight! I also play bluray movies. It's connected to my home network and is used as a media server playing 3D movies to 2 different screens. It is tucked away in a shelved unit along with the surround decoder and the TiVo box and boy does it get warm. It has never checked out or glitched in the 7 years I have owned it. The only thing that it doesn't do now which it once did is play downloaded movies that Sony Corp entertainment has anything to do with (men in black etc), but that is just a copyright update that Sony released. My ps3 never gets moved,knocked, or messed about with...it just sits there working. I genuinely believe that if you cart it around to your mates, move it from place to place without due care it will eventually break. The more you knock it about the sooner it'll bugger up.
Unless I have been lucky to get a good one....

you kinda got it at the end

but it is the other way around some people got unlucky and had a failure in their PS3

Message 30 of 43 (5,742 Views)
0 Likes