PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Real cause of the PS3 YLOD

Aug 9, 2012

DOBBY-IS-DEAD wrote:
I've still got my 60gb model ps3 and i play it practically everyday and its still fully functional. I have however noticed that the paste is getting a little gooey after i cleaned out the ps3. So looks like i've gotta find some thermal paste to replace the old lot.. feel sorry for everyone who have had the YLOD

So you opened up your PS3 completely and didn't change the thermal paste? That probably wasn't a good idea, thermal paste needs to be changed every time you expose it, because when you expose it the bond is broken and it can't conduct heat away like it did before.

You can easily pick up some quality thermal paste from your local Radio Shack or Staples store...

Message 11 of 43 (14,415 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28843 posts

Aug 9, 2012

as12365b wrote:

Recently, my 80GB PS3 has experienced the YLOD the night after a 5 hour session of Black Ops. As soon as I turned on the PS3 that day, I saw the dreaded green, yellow, and flashing red system light sequence with my disc stuck. A days later, after many attempts of faling to eject the disc, my PS3 not only eject the disc, it also booted normally as if it never had a problem. Every piece of data is still intact, ready to be transfer to a new PS3, too bad I didn't had a new PS3 to perform a data transfer with, so I turned the PS3 off for the day, but found that it reverted back to its YLOD ways for the rest of the night. This shows that some unknown problem not execessive thermo damage was the cause of my failing PS3. I believed that its a faling power supply since that everything else with my PS3 is in good shape or possibly a firmware glitch that is causing this case of PS3 YLOD, so I created this thread for discussion of the real causes of the PS3 YLOD. Please don't drown this thread with M$ or XBOX fanboy junk, ok.

So you honestly don't believe that playing for five hours had absolutely nothing to do with it? Smiley Indifferent

Message 12 of 43 (14,406 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Aug 10, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

as12365b wrote:

Recently, my 80GB PS3 has experienced the YLOD the night after a 5 hour session of Black Ops. As soon as I turned on the PS3 that day, I saw the dreaded green, yellow, and flashing red system light sequence with my disc stuck. A days later, after many attempts of faling to eject the disc, my PS3 not only eject the disc, it also booted normally as if it never had a problem. Every piece of data is still intact, ready to be transfer to a new PS3, too bad I didn't had a new PS3 to perform a data transfer with, so I turned the PS3 off for the day, but found that it reverted back to its YLOD ways for the rest of the night. This shows that some unknown problem not execessive thermo damage was the cause of my failing PS3. I believed that its a faling power supply since that everything else with my PS3 is in good shape or possibly a firmware glitch that is causing this case of PS3 YLOD, so I created this thread for discussion of the real causes of the PS3 YLOD. Please don't drown this thread with M$ or XBOX fanboy junk, ok.

So you honestly don't believe that playing for five hours had absolutely nothing to do with it? Smiley Indifferent

The post you are responding to is 16 months old...

Message 13 of 43 (14,399 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Aug 10, 2012

actually if its vented correctly 5 hours should not be an issue...i have played a few 12-16 hour marathons to just return it to folding@home when done...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 14 of 43 (14,398 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28843 posts

Aug 10, 2012

kythunder wrote:

actually if its vented correctly 5 hours should not be an issue...i have played a few 12-16 hour marathons to just return it to folding@home when done...

The owner's manual says to, and I'm quoting now, "avoid prolonged use of the PS3 system. Take a fifteen minute break for every hour of play". I'd say that five hours and twelve hours is "prolonged". 

Oh, who am I kidding? Nobody reads owner's manuals anymore. 

Message 15 of 43 (14,395 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Aug 10, 2012

yea i know it says that but there really shouldn't be an issue the thing will get up to a certain temp with each and every game and the temps remain stable..at least on mine it does but i have modded the vents and such also...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 16 of 43 (14,388 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 29, 2012
It only says that to stop people from having medical issues. It has fans/heat sinks to avoid overheating. and yeah people run folding@home all day if not days on end to finish projects on there.
Message 17 of 43 (13,585 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7984 posts

Nov 1, 2012

The internal design of the old FAT PS3's is a mess of a flawed cooling system. Add to the fact they put the power supply that generates a massive amount of heat on TOP of one of the processor chips. It's not hard to see why they have so many "general hardware failures" on the older model. While the Slim can still have this problem it occurs much less. That's why they changed it every 6 months after release in 2006.

Power supply failures usually result in no the light going RED, GREEN, then OFF no flashing lights to speak of. At least in the power supply failures that I have had to replace.

YLOD is normally a broken solder joint.

RLOD is normally 2 solder joints that have bridged.

I have yet to see a YLOD caused by a bad blu ray drive. Most of the time a bad blu ray drive or drive board means the system just stops playing blu ray discs.

Hard drive failures can be recognized by a looping update or hard drive failure screen.

Red screen of death is usually caused by a corrupt area of flash called VTRM.

Almost all of these failures can be repaired with the right tools and by the right person. Some require new hardware like blu ray drives and hard drives and some require software updates or files that you can find on line. If you do enough research you can find the answers. I wish there were a sticky thread here for some repair sites and services. So everyone could be correctly informed on what these errors are caused by and a list of repair services that some one has had experience with.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/rseverclear/Lightemuprsteele2.png

Message 18 of 43 (13,530 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Nov 21, 2012

reallly you think 5 HOURS is too long...... HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahhahahashahahashhaahha    OMG you have got to be kidding me 5 hours is not even one gameing session for me... normaly for me i spend 5 hours on just Zombag killing never mind the multiplayer and after thats some Metal Gear 4 and such, my PS3 is on for about 15 of the 24 hours a day

Message 19 of 43 (13,247 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 23, 2013

I checked out the Youtube videos on how to fix it and done it today. I booted up the ps3 and all was well. I was connected to the internet and all data that was on the HD was available. Once I downloaded the update however, it crashed...a bit strange. Before I connected the HDMI cable, I booted again just to make sure it wasnt a fluke. This was one of the first ps3's so I don't see what the issue is. If I hadnt fixed it correctly it would never have booted up in the first place. The fact that it did means the CPU and GPU (because I had output to the tv) are fine, the HD is fine, it connected to the net so Network card is fine, and I reapplied thermal paste so I don't see how overheating is an issue. Very disappointed and the only reason I tried this was because I previously got inpatient and bought an xbox 360 which I hate. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I did use my friends BDD because he got the ylod but bought a new ps3 so im thinking its the update thats done it. I now have three broken ps3s in my room as this has happened to several of my friends who've been happy for me to take their old ps3 parts, not that Sony will allow it!

Message 20 of 43 (11,757 Views)
0 Likes