First Son
1 posts

Re: Real cause of the PS3 YLOD

Apr 23, 2013
Hey guys, I've had my PS3 for 7 years now...I got it when it first came our and its backwards compatible...yesterday for the first time.::the YOLD light came on Smiley Sad luckley I got it into safe mode and recovered my game data...but I'm looking into a preowned one...there under $200. What do you recommend?
Message 31 of 43 (4,293 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2729 posts

Apr 23, 2013

egg, you should send yours to sony  and fix it... i think it will last you another 9 months atleast? 

then you jump on the ps4, that 60g can be really worth something someday, i  will put my in box and give it to my kids , his 4 right know.. god knows when his 16 or 17 i will bring the ps3 out back for him lol.

BURNING THE PATH WILL ONLY LEAD TO MORE STORMS
Message 32 of 43 (4,290 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
243 posts

Apr 23, 2013

Even cheap generic ""white goop" thermal paste used in low budget laptops and computers lasts longer then two years on average through many many hot/cold cycles.  I would wager more along the lines of improper application rather than it wearing out in a mere two years,either too much of it thereby creating a blanketing effect actually creating more heat then disapating...or not spread correctly via pea drop method thus not smoothing the contact surface fully to a proper flat contact surface and not getting full on contact.

PlayStation 4
Playstation 3
3DSXL Cosmo Black
Vita 2000 (Slim) Black Borderlands 2 bundle
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g
Owner of LiquidEvilGaming Youtube channel
@LiquidEvilGames Twitter
Message 33 of 43 (4,282 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 5, 2013
Ive had my ps3 for 4 years it died last night and gta 5 stuck in the disk drive
Message 34 of 43 (3,204 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14139 posts

Oct 5, 2013

I keep hearing all these stories of old fat models dying.. I'm the poor soul that still has a working fat launch model and dying slims all the time.

Not related to firmware. Always Blu Ray drive failure.

Message 35 of 43 (3,202 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

Oct 5, 2013

Ive had my ps3 for 4 years it died last night and gta 5 stuck in the disk drive

Just last night?

Oh never mind.

Courage is saddling up, even though your scared to death.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Message 36 of 43 (3,193 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 4, 2013

my ps3 is bought about 5-6 years ago and the ylod problem happened today i tried to fix it myself but its useless i played it for 8 hours everyday and finally its broken tday its nt the ps3 i care about i care about is my family picture inside it there are the memories tht is so important to me i dun have any back up or spare on those picture i really hope tht someone cn give me some clues to fix it

Message 37 of 43 (2,876 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Dec 4, 2013

wenkai97 wrote:

my ps3 is bought about 5-6 years ago and the ylod problem happened today i tried to fix it myself but its useless i played it for 8 hours everyday and finally its broken tday its nt the ps3 i care about i care about is my family picture inside it there are the memories tht is so important to me i dun have any back up or spare on those picture i really hope tht someone cn give me some clues to fix it

Welcome to the Playstation Forums.

What did you try?

Following the GILSKY method, exactly I have been able to restore function to about 7 YLOD & Blincking Red Light PS3s. It is often temporary but works long enough to get your data transferred to a new PS3.

There are lots of half step, hair dryer, oven baking methods out there that I cannot speak to.

Following the GILSKY method 100% has not failed me.

Good luck

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 38 of 43 (2,867 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 6, 2013

DSCN0117[1].JPGPs3  has a poor cooling the surfice of the heat sinks look like they were sanded with 60 grit sand paper (and there not copper ) second the thermal paste is crap to say the least . I am a tech and have repaired several . I would like to add that i am not a xbox fan at all (they charge for online) how ever xbox has a far greater cooling system there heat sinks are smooth like glass and HEAT IS ELECTRONICS KILLER  .  Knowing every thing i know about ps3 i have modded mine as follows and have had it 3 years with out any problems but out of the box new i put artic silver 5 heat sink compound on it and cut a hole in the case above the fan (cold air induction ) then placed a fan above the hole (forced air induction ) and it runs avg 8 -12 hrs a day every day ..The problem with most fan mods is they use the ps3 for the power sorce (the circuit was not designed foor that ) its ok to max your fan speed but dont use the ps3 for power sorce i have added a pict for refrences ....and off subject adding a ssd (solid state drive ) is not worth it as i have and didnt feel like it was worth the time or trouble not pre loading the disk to hard drive is from ps3 updates as i tried 3 diff gt5 disks and 4 hard drives and the ssd finally took the game data after 6 attempts fan mod

Message 39 of 43 (2,855 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 16, 2014
Same thing happened to me but it's different I was playing defiance and then suddenly it shuts off and blinks red so I keep turn it on a keeps shutting off then 2 days after it happened I turned my ps3 on and it showed a yellow light when I turned it on and then shuts off and either the motherboard has fried up or hardware failure or I need new thermal paste on my ps3 so that's how my YLOD happened
Message 40 of 43 (1,675 Views)
0 Likes