PlayStation MVP
11212 posts

Re: Ragnarok Odyssey Or Persona 4 Golden?

[ Edited ]
Nov 2, 2012

ProfessorGerbik wrote:

FTG 9 / 10

http://fronttowardsgamer.com/2012/11/02/ragnarok-odyssey-review-vita/

3 sites out of 1, oddly all around the same rating besides IGN. I don't trust a site that gave Fifa 13 for the Vita a 4 and recommends to buy it instead of Fifa Soccer. That is my personal preference.

I have no idea what FTG is. As I said in my first post, I have only read the 1 review. But I did not say the OP would not like the game.

As I just pointed out to someone else, when it comes to games I find IGN tends to score games close to what I would score them when it comes to the games that I like. I don't pay much attention to most reviews. Generally I prefer opinions of gamers that I know. I have given games with bad or medicore scores a chance. I have sometimes found myself enjoying them regardless of what others have said. I have also played games where the reviews were glowing and yet I still hated the game.

As with any thing, it all boils down to personal preference and choice. Ragnarok Odyssey is not my type of game. Others will probably enjoy it. But the original question was which of the 2 games do people suggest. My suggestion remains Persona 4 Golden.

It is only my suggestion.

Message 11 of 15 (266 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 2, 2012

PapaWarlock wrote:

ProfessorGerbik wrote:

FTG 9 / 10

3 sites out of 1, oddly all around the same rating besides IGN. I don't trust a site that gave Fifa 13 for the Vita a 4 and recommends to buy it instead of Fifa Soccer. That is my personal preference.

I have no idea what FTG is. As I said in my first post, I have only read the 1 review. But I did not say the OP would not like the game.

As I just pointed out to someone else, when it comes to games I find IGN tends to score games close to what I would score them when it comes to the games that I like. I don't pay much attention to most reviews. Generally I prefer opinions of gamers that I know. I have given games with bad or medicore scores a chance. I have sometimes found myself enjoying them regardless of what others have said. I have also played games where the reviews were glowing and yet I still hated the game.

As with any thing, it all boils down to personal preference and choice. Ragnarok Odyssey is not my type of game. Others will probably enjoy it. But the original question was which of the 2 games do people suggest. My suggestion remains Persona 4 Golden.

I think what it comes down to is we are saying you shouldn't judge something off of one single site's review, you should also want to look at other reviews, instead of just at one place. I have no problem if it is not your type of game, NFS: MW is not my type of racer but I am sure it is an amazing portable game.

The thing is IGN smashed this game, practically the first sentence tells you the game is not worth buying. To me that is not journalism nor a review, that is a completely biased personal opinion. What people don't understand is a review is not a direct a personal opinion.

Just because you may not enjoy this type of game, I would hope you would review it more fairly than IGN for those who do enjoy these types of games. That is where I feel IGN's reviews, most of their reviews take a turn for the worst is they make it a personal opinion, not a review.

Like I have said, I could talk to anyone to hear a personal opinion like that, I want a review about the game not what you personally enjoy.

Just to give an example, Halo 4 is not even out yet and IGN has already rated it a 9.8, to me that is not fair and shows they really don't care too much about reviewing things the right way. If you want to read IGN by all means go ahead but I feel just like if a person where to hang out with nothing but Racist's all his life, he probably would end up racist.

It isn't good in other words in my opinion to gather information from one source, just like it would be unwise to gather information from one small group of people.

Message 12 of 15 (258 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11212 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 2, 2012

ProfessorGerbik wrote:

PapaWarlock wrote:

ProfessorGerbik wrote:

FTG 9 / 10

I think what it comes down to is we are saying you shouldn't judge something off of one single site's review, you should also want to look at other reviews, instead of just at one place. I have no problem if it is not your type of game, NFS: MW is not my type of racer but I am sure it is an amazing portable game.

The thing is IGN smashed this game, practically the first sentence tells you the game is not worth buying. To me that is not journalism nor a review, that is a completely biased personal opinion. What people don't understand is a review is not a direct a personal opinion.

Just because you may not enjoy this type of game, I would hope you would review it more fairly than IGN for those who do enjoy these types of games. That is where I feel IGN's reviews, most of their reviews take a turn for the worst is they make it a personal opinion, not a review.

Like I have said, I could talk to anyone to hear a personal opinion like that, I want a review about the game not what you personally enjoy.

Just to give an example, Halo 4 is not even out yet and IGN has already rated it a 9.8, to me that is not fair and shows they really don't care too much about reviewing things the right way. If you want to read IGN by all means go ahead but I feel just like if a person where to hang out with nothing but Racist's all his life, he probably would end up racist.

It isn't good in other words in my opinion to gather information from one source, just like it would be unwise to gather information from one small group of people.

I don't need to be told this. I am not basing my decision not to play RO because of IGN's review. I am basing it off the simple fact that it is not my type of game. It seems to me that you haven't really read what I've said. I did not tell the OP not to play this game, nor did I say the game sucked. The OP asked which game does everyone recommend. I admitted that I do not know much about the game and suggested Persona 4 because I know a lot more about it than RO.

I know that a review is biased by a person's personal opinion. Even the best reviews out there are subject to a bit of personal view points. I resent the implication that I don't know that.

They tend to get games before the general populace does. It's quite easy for them to review a game that is not out yet because of that. They are also not the only place to get games before the street release date. According to Metacritic there are already 55 reviews from Critics and there are still 4 days to go before the game comes out.

I prefer to get information from people I know rather than from places and people unknown. I get news from more than one place and rarely use a review to base my decision to play a game on. After 30 years of gaming I'm pretty sure I know what games I like and what I won't like without relying on reviews to tell me. I simply pointed out that I had only seen 1 review on the game.

Right now there are 4 Critic reviews out for Ragnarok Odyssey out. A 90, 80, 70 and 50 to give it a composite of 72. Even Destructoid admits there are flaws to the game. Ragnarok Odyssey is one of those games where you're either going to love it or hate it, with little room left in the middle.

Message 13 of 15 (250 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
845 posts

Nov 3, 2012

I'm going to say this once...

DO NOT READ REVIEWS!

The only thing these reviews do are set you up for an expectation. If I told you the new 007 movie was going to stink, you would go in with a persons opinion that would sway yours. Whether you believe it or not, it happens. I have taken an approach to just watch game footage or trailers (the only reason I purchased AC3, my first in the series).

I typically take a gander at reviews after I've finished a title so I can properly judge the reviewers remarks and pick apart things I feel weren't taken into consideration. With all this talk of how Ragnarok Odyssey was dismissed by IGN, I think I'll have a very good time since I enjoy the game.

Also, for those wondering you can find the items in the Mercenary Edition handbook. If you don't have it, there are a few websites with the listings up already.

My Playstation Collection consists of:
152 PS3 games - 564 PS2 games - 72 PS1 games - 202 PSP games - 11 PS Vita games

Over 1,100 games total :smileyhappy:
Message 14 of 15 (245 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
138 posts

Nov 3, 2012

the guywho reviewed RO on IGN is also the guy who did New Little Kings story he gave both games horrible scores. stop reviewing RPG games Colin and Let Jeff Haynes review Persona 4 Golden because you CANT review RPG games.

Message 15 of 15 (221 Views)
0 Likes