May 06 2012
By: Yohannarosly First Son 4 posts

RLOD ps3

7 replies 410 views Edited May 6, 2012

Hi guys,

I have been experiencing rold these fewnmonths and the funy thing is that it only happens when i play certain games.

So far these games are Final Fantasy13-2, final fantasy 13, Valkyria Chronicles, and Eternal Sonata, so those are mainly all the RPGs games that i have.

Also the funny thing when i tried to play ff13-2and valkyria chronicles, the rlod will happen when i select certain options or when i want to go to specific locations in the games.

However, my boyfriend doesnt face this problem with his Fifa2012 at all, even if he's playing it for hours. He plays them just fine.

At first when i used to have only ff13 and ff13-2, and when the rold happened, i thought it was the cd problem. I even bought another ff13-2 just to see if its really the cd problem,but rold happened again, hence i whent back to the shop to refund and got the other valkyria chronicles and eternal sonata.

The worst thing is when i want to play the new eternal sonata game, just when it was showing the beginning, the rlod haapenned.

Overall, i couldnt play all my rpgs games now.

What do you think is the problem? And what should i do? The store person told me its because i'm using old 80GB ps3, hence the graphic couldnt support the rpg games, and suggest me to change my ps3 instead, what do you think?

Message 1 of 8 (410 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Message 2 of 8 (410 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Re: RLOD ps3

May 6, 2012

that person at that store should be fired for lying to customers but then i guess half the customer service industry would have to go.lol..but anyway thats completely incorrect,any ps3 can play any ps3 game,none is more powerful than another or games would have to be recoded...now to the point of your unit,your problem is the thermal paste on your heatsinks have dried up and are not conducting heat away from the cpu/gpu like its supposed to and thats why your getting the red light shutdowns and if you or someone else dont redo the paste then your just inviting the ylod which will be more costly or even haveing to buy a new unit which can be fixed with a 10 dollar tube of thermal compound,theres many vids on youtube showing you how to do this and just get some arctic silver 5 or mx-4 or any decent compound and follow the steps,its easy to do...do not spread the paste like some videos show,thats a big NO-NO,you will use a peadrop size or a line about the size of a grain of rice or just little bigger.

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 3 of 8 (410 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

May 7, 2012

Ouuww.. i see although i still cant quite get what you mean, but which youtube video do you recommend is good for fixing this?? i dont quite understand about these technical stuffs, never do any electronical fixing ever in my life.. or maybe should i just go to some store and get it fixed??

But why do you think that it always happen only in my RPG games only?? whereas my boyfriend has never had any problems when playing FIFA, and his brother never had any problem when playing some action games..

Message 4 of 8 (410 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

May 7, 2012

RLOD: Red Light of Death..

Message 5 of 8 (410 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

May 7, 2012

it only happens in certain games because it's using more of the GPU processing therfore causing it to get hotter than some other games,if your not feeling safe in doing this yourself i suggest you send it somewhere like www.endlesselectronics.org and let them do it..before i can suggest a video i would need to know the model number of the unit...

Message 6 of 8 (410 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

May 7, 2012

the model no is CECHL06, if i'm not wrong this is the 80GB ps3 Sony white..

Message 7 of 8 (410 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

May 7, 2012

heres a guide on the cechlo1(same as the lo6 just different regions) disassembly and theres also a video in the guide as well just remember to get some quality thermal compound to put back on for the heatsinks and use a peadrop size on each or a line in the center a tad bigger than a grain of rice and the pressure of them squeezing together will spread it evenly so theres no air bubbles.

http://www.wikihow.com/Disassemble-a-Ps3-Fat-to-Clean

p.s. be sure to clean off all the old thermal compound really really good using a lint free cloth or a coffee filter and some rubbing alcohol..

Message 8 of 8 (410 Views)
0 Likes