Dec 13 2013
By: Doc_007 Fender Bender 3501 posts

[REVIEW] - Grip It - DualShock 4 Analog Stick Covers

[ Edited ]
30 replies 11504 views Edited Mar 28, 2014

Greetings gamers!

First I want to say that I ALWAYS used something like this on my DS3s but did not feel the need on my DS4.

I ordered these just to test them out and offer this review on a product that can be used as a preventative wear measure for those concerned, a wear solution for those who are having issues and don't want to get a controller replaced by Sony, and simply a hands on report for gadget lovers like myself who have to customize everything. I have no affiliation with this company and in no way am advertising. This is a public service message only.

Second: THESE DO NOT FIT the DualShock 3 controller even through the are advertised to do just that.

On with the review. 

What is advertised - Here is the image from Amazon. - Retail is 4.99 for 4 covers.

ADVERTISED AS.jpg

4 grip covers, 2 blue and two black, that appear to be silicone. You can get them in an array of colors and combos from the manufacturer directly as well.

What you get:

WHAT-YOU-GET.jpg

4 grip covers, 2 blue and two black. That appear to be silicone and an instruction card.

Quality:

MFG-QUALITY.jpg

Not quite as tidy as the ad pic shows but the nubs can be cut off with an hobby knife or razor blade if they bother you like they do me. Seems to be a quality 100% silicone product but I cannot find this specific claim anywhere. 

Fit and Installation:

INSTALLED.jpg

These seem to be made specifically for the DS4. Popping them on is very easy. All you need to do is turn them inside out, center them and then push the edges down returning it to right side out. It may take two tries for perfect centering if you care, as I do.

There is a TINY increase in diameter. Hardly worth mentioning as evidenced by the above picture.

The height increase is also minimal but more noticeable as shown in the next image.

SIDE-SHOT.jpg

Impressions:

Out of the package they felt a little oily.  This is likely a mold release compound.

A quick rinse in soapy water increased tackiness and IMO this is one of the best features of something like this. They can be popped off, washed and popped back on, fresh as a daisy, ready to play. Not that you can't clean the stock sticks, this is just easy and worry free.

They have a nice feel and certainly have a little more immediate grip than the stock stick alone offering the ability to play with a nice light touch. This will be of little benefit to death grip gamers except for the fact that it will protect your analog sticks from the premature wear some people are experiencing.

Downsides?

These do, for the most part, remove the concave nature of the DS4 sticks so if you are not having wear issues and ride the edge of the stick, these may not be for you.

<Edit> I have noticed since my initial installation is that at maximum throw the edge of the cover can contact the controller shell and create a little drag. I honestly did not notice it in game but I did notice it while sitting my desk fiddling with them.

Final thoughts for the moment:

For 4.99 this is very cheap protection for anyone concerned about wear and IMO appears to be a nice little upgrade for those who want a slightly tackier feel. The plethora of colors opens up the ability to customize, and for me custom rules.

I will be keeping these on both of my DS4 controllers and will update this post with long term test results.

Game on!

12/30/2013 Follow Up

After two weeks of use there are zero signs of wear and have had no need to wash them.

Zero slippage from their position either.

All good so far.

Mod Edit: Updated label. Click here for more information on labels

Thanks!   ~lovely1rainbow

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 1 of 31 (11,504 Views)
Sackboy
526 posts

Re: [REVIEW] - Grip It - DualShock 4 Analog Stick Covers

Dec 13, 2013
Thanks for the review! I used the full silicone covers for the ds3's when they were around with good results, esp in summer gaming sessions.
"You're as randomly lethal and entirely confused as you ever were."
Message 2 of 31 (11,486 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
138 posts

Dec 13, 2013
Thanks Doc...nice post.

Looks like I need to get a pack, just because.
Message 3 of 31 (11,450 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13768 posts

Dec 13, 2013

Awesome review, Doc.

Playstation Telephone Hours: Weekdays, Saturday: 6AM - 10PM, PST (Sunday: 8AM - 8PM, PST)
Customer Service - 1-800-345-7669
Account and Billing Support - 1-877-971-7669
Sony Rewards - 1-888-715-7669
Message 4 of 31 (11,433 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
115 posts

Dec 13, 2013
Kudos sir.

-"Q"
Message 5 of 31 (11,395 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
657 posts

Dec 13, 2013

Nice but ugh I don't like the design on it

I ordered these I think these could be better

ps4grip

Message 6 of 31 (11,382 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Dec 13, 2013

Thanks guys!

Message 7 of 31 (11,379 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 13, 2013

Smooth4Lyfe wrote:

Nice but ugh I don't like the design on it

I ordered these I think these could be better

The gecko foot? Aww its so cute! Like a tiny high 4 for your thumbs. Smiley Tongue

I am however a gecko owner so I am biased.

When those arrive from China. (Its been a while hasn't it?) You should send me a pair to do a side by side with em.

My intent is never to claim superiority, just functionality.

I don't choose sides just cuz I spent a few bucks. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 31 (11,374 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 16, 2013

Message 9 of 31 (11,320 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3805 posts

Dec 14, 2013

Kudos from me also very nice review Thanks.

Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
It's a better idea to buy games for your PS4
Than to buy a New Console for your PS4
Message 10 of 31 (11,308 Views)
0 Likes